My three favorite Fall tobacco blends are:

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
I always look forward to moving away from the heavy muggy Summertime into the crisp clear days of Fall...my favorite season.  Well, leaves have been dropping like crazy for weeks now and instead of the 80’s & 90’s we’re into the mid 70’s and dropping bit by bit.  Time for the fun and flavorful blends of Fall.  It’s a move into full flavors but not tempered by the constraints of smoking indoors.

I’ll just pick three off the top of my dainty little head...not in any order:

1. Gawith Dark Flake Scented - perhaps the quintessential Lakeland blend with significant power in flavor & Vit. N.

2. John Patton Dark Horse - has it all: Turkish, Oriental, Virginia, 2 Burleys, Cigar Leaf and Perique.  Very balanced.

3. C&D Oriental Silk - Perique, bright flake, Turkish flake, and bright Virginia ribbon balanced to perfection but showing Turkish Izmir as a superstar condimental.

OK boys.  It’s your turn.  3 Fall favorites.  With a very brief description.

Oh boy, just three?? Oh well, here goes!!
Being a Latweed person, I'll go with:

1. Charles Fairmorn's Lancers Slices-Smoky, smooth, warming 'baccy great with a mug of strong black coffee!
2. L.J. Peretti's Cambridge Flake-Marvelous blend of Ginnyweed and Latweed. Fine in the morning or evening!!!
3. Balkan Sobranie Original Smoking Mixture-Smooth as silk, relaxing/calming, marvelous way to end the day! With a dram or seven of good Whiskey/Whisky on the side!! :cheers: FTRPLT

What he said (Blackhorse). B.S.O.M.S. or whatever that was is meaningless.

I generally feel of an aromatic mood in the fall

Cornell & Diehl Autumn Evening
Country Squire Rivendell
Sherlock from Ansteads (non aro from s local shop)

I am not much of a "change by the seasons" kind of guy.

Right now I am smoking Old Joe Krantz. This is a pretty good blend for me just in general. My sense is that it has become a little less edgy over the years. I like the perique/burley combo. When I finish this pound bag, I might go with Big-n-Burley next.

Picayune is another standard. It is my typical first smoke of the day. This one is a winner in my book but does not get universal love. To smoke this, you can't be nicotine sensitive for one thing. I like the pepper and the slightly sour aftertaste. This one is in a category of its own.

Low Country VaBur is a great all-day smoke. It happens to be the pound bag in this genre open right now. Double Down and Smoker's Pride Rich Taste fill the bill here for "good but does not break the bank." Every now and then Pegasus is a great treat in this category.

Apart from my heavier blends,

Peretti's Thanksgiving blend
Kolhause Kopp and Co. makes nice winter aromatics annually that I'll add some Gawith rope to boost the nicotine.
Carter Hall.

Blackhorse":0se9moax said:
Always kinda surprising how much love there is for Carter Hall.  What a classic!
How true!!!! Prince Albert is OK; but Carter Hall I really enjoy. Always have a stack of it around. Especially enjoy it in the morning/s in a cob!! :cheers: FTRPLT

I'm not of an aro smoker, but for October/November I like get an ounce of Sutliff's Pumpkin Spice for a nod to the season. It makes for a light change of pace. Other than that, not much different than usual.

Right now and several years, I smoke Hamborger Veermaster, Stokkebye Bullseye and Davidoff Danish. Bullseye is almost too strong, I could find F&T Cut VA Plug to use instead.

Blackhorse":kpr5wygm said:
Always kinda surprising how much love there is for Carter Hall.
57 years of smoking a pipe and not one bowl of Carter Hall. My older brother smoked a variety of aromatics, which I found always torched my tongue. Carter Hall or Prince Albert were never introduced to me. A friend gave me a tin of MacBaren Virginia #1, which at the time seemed to be a revelation, as I'd previously thought most pipe tobacco was aromatic. I smoked Virginia #1 for many years, but became a latakia "ho" after just a few bowls of Dunhill 965. Now, any blend without 40-50% latakia seems like it's missing something.

The falling leaves of Autumn means its Burley season. Maybe with a pinch of some musty cigar leaf. I mostly smoke my own blends or a minor tweak of John Patton's Dark Horse. But of ready-made commercial blends I reach for these more than others:

1. H&H Fusilier's Ration. Flinty.
2. Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky. Satisfying late morning smoke.
3. C&D Sansepolcro. Rich, some cigar-like flavors.

My favorite Fall and Winter tobacco was Blackwoods Flake but alas it's no longer.

However, during this season I tend to smoke more Virginia based tobaccos.