My wife's idea

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arkansaspiper

Reaction score
I can not take credit for this one but maby it's been thought of before but.....
We should vote on a pipe shop maby some one post ideas and vote on one to meet at annually I know there are many of you I'd like to meet and I'm not sure how many of you feel the same but I know when I joined I felt so welcomed I was taken right under yalls wings just thought I'd suggest it meet up talk smoke chill and have a good time for a few days a day or a week what ever works an annual pipe club type thing

Not a bad idea arky, but several thoughts-

There are currently a bunch of pipe shows all over the US, and some of the members here attend those shows and find each other as well as meeting other enthusiasts. And those shows provide a lot more in the way of pipes/baccy/accessories/etc than a simple get together.

As far as having a BoB summit or the like, it sounds like a great idea. However it might be a bit more to pull off than you'd think.

As an example, the cigar board I once hung out on had an annual event that went on for a bunch of years. Membership of the board was a couple thousand, yet only about 100 or so posted with any frequency and of those maybe a couple dozen were on regularly. And it was these couple dozen who would attend the event.

The event took place in Vegas over a weekend, and one of the members would do the legwork and find the best hotel rates, arrange the individual events within the weekend (Sat night dinner, golfing, poolside meet and greet, etc). So it took a lot of effort on his part. After a few years of this it just sort of fell apart, as a result of a lot of factors.

Getting an event like this together always is a problem for those who would have the expense of travelling somewhere far away. As an example I'd have loved to attend the Chicago pipe show but the cost of airfare/hotel/etc was unmanageable.

All to say that while your idea has merit, coming up with a date that works for multiple people as well as a place that can host a bunch of smokers, not to mention the expense that one would incur to attend if not close by might be a deterrent.

Not trying to be a negative Nancy, just some random thoughts.

Cheers,

RR

All makes sense to me and I Already thought about it but if we had more commitment than I see now it would work not saying anything about my regular brothers but I looked on the member board and way to many have never posted on the board at all if we could get many of them to eather post or leave we could really widdle down but that don't matter any ways your the only one to even post a reply on it showing me people don't care enough to at all anyways so the community has shown no commitment all ready

arkansaspiper":bsyy5heu said:
All makes sense to me and I Already thought about it but if we had more commitment than I see now it would work not saying anything about my regular brothers but I looked on the member board and way to many have never posted on the board at all if we could get many of them to eather post or leave we could really widdle down but that don't matter any ways your the only one to even post a reply on it showing me people don't care enough to at all anyways so the community has shown no commitment all ready
arky, I'd be careful saying something quite so inflammatory about most of the members here. There are a great many members that make this forum work, and take a lot of pride in the forum and the members here. Simply because they don't comment on a post doesn't mean they lack commitment; rather, I'd posit that most are very committed and will comment only on posts that interest them.

Frankly, I'm quite often very tied up with my work, and don't care to stare at my computer screen for too long once my work is done (my job is entirely dependent on computers, so I'm in front of a monitor 45+ hours a week at least), so I am not quite as active as some other members on here, but I very much keep up with threads and how members are doing. Simply because I do not comment on, or start, 5 threads a day does not imply that I'm not committed. If I wasn't committed, I would abdicate my post as co-commander of the Bombers.

Most people here on BoB don't operate on a 'if it's not black it must be white' mindset; you may find better luck with participation on your threads if you didn't automatically rush to conclusions, ie 'I've gotten no comments on this thread but one, these people must not care about this entire site or any ideas to meet up'.

Just my two cents...

It's really pretty simple. If someone reads a post in a thread and is interested in making a comment or answering, etc. they do. If they're not interested...they move along.

And...really...post or die? Wow. I doubt a quota system would work for a zillion reasons.

No no no I ment nothing negative not trying g to talk bad about them just like black Horse Saif they want to then they do if they don't they don't all I'm saying goes is by a vote if people do they are interested if they don't they are not I'm sorry if it came across bad my brothers

Nice idea Arky. Much as I'd really love to meet up with my friends on the BoB, I doubt I could get a pink chit authorised to swan off across the Atlantic to smoke a pipe or two. If you ever get it off the ground I'll be with you in spirit!

Stick":jowb3q9g said:
Nice idea Arky. Much as I'd really love to meet up with my friends on the BoB, I doubt I could get a pink chit authorised to swan off across the Atlantic to smoke a pipe or two. If you ever get it off the ground I'll be with you in spirit!
And there was me hoping to cadge a lift in your Sopwith Camel Stick

If I do every one would have to get there own hotels and I would need a 2nd in command but point was I just wanted to meet some of yall he'll we have a pipe shop in little Rock

It occurs to me that message boards such as this one are perfectly suited to people whose avocation is spread thinly over the rest of the world. No need to make travel arrangements, find accommodations, eat grub that doesn't agree with you, etc. Just open the ol' iPad and join the conversation about a common interest. I enjoy the comments from those from afar, and am often pleasantly surprised to find pipers who are nearby. I think the frequency of contact is better than an annual meeting. If there's also a pipe show anywhere near you, all the better.

Arky, it's a good idea. But many meet up at the BIG pipe show annually.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!