My Zippo hates me.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedeep

Reaction score
I have 4 Zippos. One has always been a spare. I use my SF and my 1982 solid brass. The 4th is also a spare. Number 4 lost its "hat" some time ago. Recently my brass lost its hat. So, I switched out from the spare to the brass. Turns out this insert is brass, it may well be the original for the brass lighter. So, I put the insert in, fill it, spin the wheel...nothing. After maybe 20 tries I got one light. So, I thought bad flint? Replaced the flint. Still does not want to light. I fiddled with the wick. Still won't light. Put in a NEW wick...still won't light. Filled it up tonight before going to town. Got one light out of, oh, maybe, 30 tries. I've never had a Zippo just refuse to light. Any ideas? It's my Fav, equaled only by my SF.

If you aren't getting sparks it's time to brush the teeth on the wheel... That usually works..

I'm thinking about trying one of those butane inserts for the Zippo. I love the lighter body and style but the actual lighter itself is a pain in the butt so it just sits on the shelf. They're fine for cigarettes, but they suck as pipe lighters. They fuel tastes horrible, the lighters seep so the fuel dissipates out quickly, the flints and wheels can be fiddly and the flame isn't really quite right for lighting a pipe, even with the pipe insert. I have the Smokers Forum Zippo as well, and a USS Nimitz Zippo my daughter gave me when she served on the ship, and a heavy brass Zippo for everyday use. I'd like to be able to use these.

Ya know there's a life time warranty on Zippos and you can always send it back to PA. to be repaired or replaced. ;)

Cartaphilus":zt0pis1a said:
Ya know there's a life time warranty on Zippos and you can always send it back to PA. to be repaired or replaced. ;)
I collect zippos... from lighters and handwarmers to belt buckles and money clips..... that light should be sent back to Bradford PA.  I have done this before when a cap hinge goes bad.  Or an insert is shot.  There are a few things you need to do to prep the lighter for shippment.  If you have any questions PM me and i can walk you through it.  I know what your thinking.... it sucks... all yhe memories with that lighter or perhaps someone special gave it to you....

I have sent Zippos in for repair several times and have toured the factory. As far as I know, all they repair is the hinge, stick in a new insert to obviate any problem there, and return it in very timely fashion. Cool company, and I personally love them for lighting pipes outdoors. Wouldn't want to be without one.

Cartaphilus":s4qtupaa said:
Ya know there's a life time warranty on Zippos and you can always send it back to PA. to be repaired or replaced. Wink
If cleaning the wheel does not help, just send it back to Zippo in Bradford, PA. Superb customer service!!! They will also repair or replace the one with the broken top. Just look Zippo up online and print out the repair form. It's easy and totally painless :lol!: :lol!:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Puff Daddy":ixsngvqy said:
I'm thinking about trying one of those butane inserts for the Zippo. I love the lighter body and style but the actual lighter itself is a pain in the butt so it just sits on the shelf. They're fine for cigarettes, but they suck as pipe lighters. They fuel tastes horrible, the lighters seep so the fuel dissipates out quickly, the flints and wheels can be fiddly and the flame isn't really quite right for lighting a pipe, even with the pipe insert. I have the Smokers Forum Zippo as well, and a USS Nimitz Zippo my daughter gave me when she served on the ship, and a heavy brass Zippo for everyday use. I'd like to be able to use these.
Unless you like refueling every day forget the butane insert. Of course it depends how many bowls you smoke per day. I smoke between six and nine bowls per day and had to refuel daily. That's my only complaint with the butane inserts. Most of the time I use a Nimrod Commander lighter and it will go five days without refueling. I've never noticed any lighter fluid taste in my smoke but that's just me. My palate isn't very sophisticated.   :)

AJ

Love my Zippos, and have always had good CS with sending them back for service. Never been charged, and except for my shipping costs they turn them around in record time.

The fuel issue others have noted doesn't affect the bowl IME as long as one waits until the lighting burns off, which only takes a few seconds.

OTOH it does require re-fueling on a more frequent basis than I'd like, but there are solutions to this which I haven't explored.....yet!

Cheers,

RR

My Zippos all differ in evaporation rate I think. Then again, I rarely get a chance to smoke a whole bowl in one sitting. Always relighting. (I should see about an honorary Doctorate in DGT.) As part of the ritual of my pipe smoking, before bed, I go ahead and top off my lighter. Ready to go for the morning chores bowl. I have yet to run a lighter dry doing this....

I have four Zippos, of assorted ages, two with the insert and love 'Em all.  I've also used Zippo's repair service and on a five-star scale would award all five. So if I were thee, I'd check their online instructions for repairs and do it with no further ado and complete confidence. FYI - I've found that my newest Zippo, with the pipe insert, doesn't have a fuel evaporation issue at all, probably because it has a little ridge on the side which seems to assure a little snugger fit. The thing I like about Zippos is they seem to delive a cooler flame that is just right to start the burn  and then keep it going, usually without need of relights.

Zippo fan from across the Pond checking in. Had mine for about a year now and am delighted. Its got the pipe insert which works tremendously. Not had major problems with evaporation either. I have to admit that, as alluded to above, part of the draw to purchase was their legendary CS. Oh, and the 'ping'!!