My Zippos

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eggman

Reaction score
My go-to pipeweed ignition system is a Zippo. I have carried one since I was a teen. If I see one at a yard sale, tag sale, or auction, I'll pick it up if it's not too expensive.

So in the last bombing run, I send the victim a brushed antique silver Zippo. I thought it was the best-looking lighter I've seen in a long time. Ever since then I have been wanting a new one. So a couple of weeks ago I bought a couple of them.

The Patriots lighter is my everyday lighter. I've had it since 2002. Of course, I had to buy a pipe light and swap the inserts out to use as a pipe lighter. The PBR lighter is new, and I will have to swap out inserts as well to use it as a pipe lighter. Notice the donor lighter next to it. For some dumb reason, I bought 2 of the PBR lighters. I just didn't show Both of them

I'm a Zippo guy too. I only have about three though. They all have pipe inserts which I find to be some of the best pipe lighters I've ever used. None of my pipes are charred on the top lip.

I'll have to do a lineup. Try to remember later today. My favorite is a real, nearly all copper, issue from Marlboro. Does not say Marlboro. But it was some offering they did. I think it's the only real copper model they did. Others are copper coated.

My daily carry lighter is a brass Zippo with a butane pipe lighter insert.  It used to be engraved with my initials and OTSLS (The Old Tweed Sporting and Literary Society, a very loosely organized (?) bunch of golfing/fishing/shooting/drinking/smoking buddies and other ne're-do-wells) but the engraving wore off long ago.  I got tired of the lighter going dry every few days so I went to butane, but I find those inserts don't last all that long; anyone else have that problem?  I use good fuel it seems that over time they just don't hold up.  My problem seems to be that eventually they don't take or hold a full charge; maybe it's just me.  Also, the price to send them back under the "no proof warranty" is almost as much as a new insert :evil: !

NkLwiYil.jpg

Not to hijack the thread but I could use some advice. I have 2 Zippo pipe lighters that I've used (or tried to use) with Zippo and Ronson lighter fluids. If I don't keep them in a warm spot they don't light. Is that just the nature of lighter fluids? I can't pick one up off my desk or workbench and light it. I don't like scratching them up in my pockets against keys, pocket knife, and what-not. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Not to hijack the thread but I could use some advice. I have 2 Zippo pipe lighters that I've used (or tried to use) with Zippo and Ronson lighter fluids. If I don't keep them in a warm spot they don't light. Is that just the nature of lighter fluids? I can't pick one up off my desk or workbench and light it. I don't like scratching them up in my pockets against keys, pocket knife, and what-not. Any suggestions? Thanks.
All else being normal, I wonder if the wick is to blame. If it’ll light at picket temp but not room temp the difference must be in how much fuel is being volatilized by the wick. Have you tried it at different heights? Have you tried “fluffing” the tip to different degrees? I used to have my wicks quite narrow and it didn’t work as well. That wick is what’s allowing or dis-allowing the transfer of volatile fuel up from the tank to where it will catch. Have you tried putting new flints in? Maybe a greater degree of “spark” would help. Good luck. Once you figure out “the cure” share it with us. It could help everyone here.

I have one of the rare titanium ones. I tried to have it engraved with my initials, but it didn't turn out well. The jeweler, where I took it, asked me, "What the hell is this made of?"

I only have 3 now. Never thought of collecting them. Still wonder what happened to the one I carried in NAM as I smoked cigs back then. 20 cents a pack at the PX. Also had one of the original Zippo pipe lighters that disappeared over the years.

I most enjoyed the sound a zippo makes when opening and closing it.

Nothing else in the world makes that sound.
So distinct that we sometimes used them in Germany in the field when passing thru friendly lines. If the other party opens and closes a zippo in the black of night durng the challenge/password stage when you're determining if he's friendly or enemy, you could almost guarantee he's a friendly. That sound can't be duplicated by anything else.