Mysterious "J R" "Hand Made" pipes. Ever heard of these?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattia76

Reaction score
Hey fellas, I just found 3 of these pipes.
All well- made and obviously enjoyed.
All say "J R" and "Hand Made" and "Straight Grain"
One says "imported Briar" as well.

Anyone know anything about these like a maker or where they're from?

Thanks!

mattia76":uzggnuba said:
Hey fellas, I just found 3 of these pipes.
All well- made and obviously enjoyed.
All say "J R" and "Hand Made" and "Straight Grain"
One says "imported Briar" as well.

Anyone know anything about these like a maker or where they're from?

Thanks!
The only JR I know of played a role in Dallas.

Boooooooooo!
horrible joke.

I have a lead that there was a Joe's Pipe Shop somewhere with a Joe Roth as the proprieter.

I can't find either one on the net anywhere; just a few people confusing it with Jon's Pipe shop.

Of course, there was/is JR Tobacco that a few of us were active on their pipe board way back when, but I don't recall them ever putting out their own line of pipes. They were primarily a cigar shop and sold/sell pipe tobaccos, but not much in pipes (at least to my knowledge).

Never heard of JR pipes.

Natch

Any idea of pipe nationality? What are the shapes like?

There is an English brand called John Redman pipes that uses a JR stamp...I think they are somehow related to sasienis but not sure. THink they are factory pipes too and probably wouldn't carry a hand made stamp, but I don't really know nothin' bout 'em.

Here's a link:
http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-j2.html#johnredman

Edit: There's also J Rinaldi pipes, but I don't know what their stampings are like.

Jon Rinaldi pipes made in 2009 had JR etched within a circle on the stem, and on the shank they were marked "J. Rinaldi" in script, and "U.S.A. 2009". Recently he has changed to three inlaid metal dots inside a metal circle in the stem. I do not know what his system was before 2009.

Steve

I've checked and rechecked the web but the only other JR I could find was Jack Russell. Sorry I can't be of anymore help :oops:

Yeah guys, I've checked for hours on the web and can't find anything either. I'm hoping to find an old-timer who just knows a thing or two.

Here's the pics:
I like this lovat the best. the other side of the bowl is all beautiful vertical straight grain. I also love the bit. The most thin and comfortable vulcanite I've experienced. And still with an open draw!

Here's the bent billiard.

This apple is labeled "Straight Grain" as well.

I've found a Joe Roth in Queens NY who is selling his 500-pipe collection on Craigslist, but insists you come to his apartment and pay cash. I don't know what to think...