N00b needing suggestions

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingcobradude

Reaction score
I currently smoke the occasional cigar, and just made an ugly as can be pipe, and just need some tobacco. I was thinking anything petersons, or something along the lines of the Treasures of Ireland blends. I also thought of picking up a plug of chewing tobacco at the gas station and smoking that. any reccomendations?

For a first pipe tobacco, I'd say look for a tin of GL Pease Quiet Nights. If you can't find that, ask your local tobacconist for a mild English.

kingcobradude":4geqw12l said:
. I also thought of picking up a plug of chewing tobacco at the gas station and smoking that.
Woah. Really? You can do that? Please report your findings. 8) I may be wasting my money on Sam Gawith.

Kyle Weiss":u355diux said:
kingcobradude":u355diux said:
. I also thought of picking up a plug of chewing tobacco at the gas station and smoking that.
Woah. Really? You can do that? Please report your findings. 8) I may be wasting my money on Sam Gawith.
I read online one guy smoked dried out red man. I was thinking more of a plug though.

and just to add a little more, I was thinking of stoping at a store that I know has the treasures of Ireland and peterson tobacco, not sure what else they have for pipe tobacco

kingcobradude":ay4tjv4y said:
I read online one guy smoked dried out red man. I was thinking more of a plug though.

and just to add a little more, I was thinking of stoping at a store that I know has the treasures of Ireland and peterson tobacco, not sure what else they have for pipe tobacco
Gross...:lol: Though I don't trust the Internet and its inhabitants very often, even lying about such a thing makes for a pretty disturbing thought. :lol: If the guy is truthful, his tongue must be as tarred as a roof shingle.

Good luck findin' your 'baccy that makes ya swoon. 8)

some say its good, a simple burley, others say its the worst pipe tobacco. others have smoked days work plug chewing tobacco.

kingcobradude":qui4cy3b said:
some say its good, a simple burley, others say its the worst pipe tobacco. others have smoked days work plug chewing tobacco.
Some guys think heroin gets you closer to God.

*shrug*

Doesn't mean I'm gonna try it and find out. They can do as they please, though. Provided they aren't breaking in to my house to support their Red Man smoking habit. :lol:

Do a simple web search and you will find quite literally thousands of common brands, house blends, and hard to get blends of good quality pipe tobacco. A trip to the local grocery store will produce at least two or three "drug store" tobaccos including the inescapable but still quite passable Prince Albert.

So given the above information, why, oh why would someone take the time and effort to dry out something like Redman and stuff it in a pipe?

Josjor":mbja3gfb said:
So given the above information, why, oh why would someone take the time and effort to dry out something like Redman and stuff it in a pipe?
For various reasons, again, all pointing to that damned Internet. :lol: *shrug* *shakefist*

If you do manage to ignite some Redman and puff away on it, I'd reccommend doing it in a prone position, as that's the position you'll quickly find yourself in anyhow, and if you're already lying down you won't hurt yourself from the falll when you pass out. Also, having some sort of vomit receptacle close at hand would be a good idea as well. Go Green will be your motto of the day :no:

If I'm not mistaken, don't plenty of folks use ropes interchangeably as both pipe tobacco and chew? I remember reading something somewhere (probably here) about coal miners being of this habit because they couldn't smoke their pipes in the mine. So they would chew it during the day and smoke it at night.

My suggestion would be to grab a package of Prince Albert or Carter Hall. You can usually find one or both at a gas station or drug store. Captain Black will also do, but it may be a little sweet compared to Red Man... :lol:

kingcobradude":64bvm7rf said:
I read online one guy smoked dried out red man...
That person was Jack Howell (a fine pipe artisan now) in his younger years and I think his first try at smoking a pipe. I was impressed!

My impressions of the Treasures of Ireland line-
Limerick-To me the best of the line; good Virginia/Perique blend
Galway-Not bad for a vanilla/berry flavored aro, but a little rough
Shannon-Fruity (melon/bubblegum?) and bright sharp VAs

As Dave said, a pouch of Carter Hall or Prince Albert and I'll add Sir Walter Raleigh and Kentucky Club Mild would be a good place to start.

Jim...my ha'pence if that

I've actually smoked Levi Garrett in a pipe. :oops:

Not what I'd consider a connoisseur's blend but do-able. It would fit into the Black/Brown Irish X category If I had to pick something similar. Th stuff is VERY wet so dry it out for a good loong time. It's pretty syrupy, but not in an aro sort of way, just moist. To tell you the truth, it's a WAY better smoke than a lot of stuff out there which surprised me.

Kingcobradude, do you have a grocery or convenience store that carries Carter Hall pipe tobacco? That was my first serious and main smoke for many years before I discovered the wealth of blends available over the internet. It's' a great mild burley smoke.

Smokey

Skoal Bandits didn't work well in my pipe way-back-when. Until some fool insisted I take off the paper.

"Isn't that the filter?"

:oops:

I believe rope tobacco and even plug tobacco could be chewed and smoked, even was marketed as such after people insisted on doing both. I can see why, imagine some poor swabbie on the lower or poop decks being tossed in a storm back in the day, saying "Damn, if I could keep my pipe lit and out of the drink..." ....but conveniently tosses some chaw in his cheek, and helps wrangle that ship to calmer waters. :lol:

Still, I could microwave a fine Kobe beef filet or burn an Oscar Mayer on a BeefEater gold barbecue. I could, but I'm not going to. 8)

so is drug store pipe tobacco vs premium pipe tobacco similar to drug store cigars vs premium cigars?

kingcobradude":ygneixrm said:
so is drug store pipe tobacco vs premium pipe tobacco similar to drug store cigars vs premium cigars?
That sounds about right.

kingcobradude":93tafp0j said:
I don't think so. Not at all. I think OTC burleys like Prince Albert and Carter Hall are great blends and they feature prominently in my rotation. But I haven't smoked a Dutch Master since I was in junior high school. But, to each his own.

I second the PA and CH, I still like Carter Hall and need to get some.