Name the maker quiz

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LL

Reaction score
The first correct answer wins any pipe he wants from Dock's collection, and five pounds of tobacco from Carlos' cellar. :twisted:

nqpyzd.jpg

Don Carlos
or Boswell
or a Savenelli
Or a Kaywoodie
or a Stanwell
or a peterson

hehe :geek:

There are a couple of clues here. The first being the size of the button on the stem. It's huge! The other clue is that it appears there was at one time nomenclature on the stem that's been worn away almost completely. This would make the pipe quite old. Likely 1950's or 1960's vintage would be my guess. Though I can see where anyone would get the Italian impression, The pipe may also be English yet it's a bit larger than what the Brits were making at the time this pipe was carved. It's finished far too well to be a Parker or a Hardcastle but not quite good enough to be a Dunhill or a Charatan. Grain isn't prized by this maker. There's a definite shape over grain philosophy. There are two visible sandpits on the bottom of the shank. These are far more previlent in Italian made briars where a blinder eye is turned on these sorts of things

IT'S NOT A TINSKY Mr. Hagley! Mark stamps his pipes in the middle on the bottom of the shanks. We would see a partial oval and the N in (American) from this camera angle. Who ever made it stamps his pipes on the left side of the shank.

I have a pretty good guess as to who made it but I'll stay quiet for now. I did give you guys some clues in figuring it out yourselves.....

Danish_Pipe_Guy":swslpzv2 said:
There are a couple of clues here. The first being the size of the button on the stem. It's huge!
Actually, the pic is misleading, so disregard that as a clue. The angles and reflections are weird. It measures .255" tall, which is actually less than the three Castellos I measured just now. They were .277", .285", and .289"

It's a nice shape that would surely be a superb smoker.

That leaves Sasieni if it is English or if it is an American carver it could be an E. Wilke or out of the Consolidated Pipe Factory..............?

Doc picked up on the same thing I did : the big, oval button and thick bite zone. That does say old-timey English. But early Castellos seem to have started out from a place not too dissimilar in these respects.

:face:

Good guesses, all. No winnah yet, though.

HINT: Think American

Also, Yak's mention of the "thick bite zone" is a victim of the same photo reflection-trickery as the button. Ignore that as a clue. It measures .155" which is actually on the thin side. (Cassies, Dunnies and etc. run between .170 and .180, and my two Rad Davisii---the thinnest stems in my collection---measure .156 and .158)

It's a Ser Jacopo,I'm pretty sure it was won on e-bay last month. 8)

Winslow :bounce:

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT! (<----- buzzer noise)

Pencils down, please. Eyes up. Your time for this section of the test has expired.

Dock and Carlos, you can breathe again. No one got it.

There was a twist, however, so no points will be deducted. :twisted:

2uhwqe0.jpg