Name three blends that...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Name three blends that...are kinda old school, available and are very likely pretty much off most guy’s radar.

So...available...old school-ish...off the radar...

OH!  AND THEY HAVE TO BE REALLY GOOD!

I’ll start off...

1. Cornell & Diehl’s “Night Train”. Available in bulk or tins, a hard pressed crumble brick, it’s not shy and can be evil if abused. It’s a potent Burley/VA/Perique blend that behaves well and available pretty much all over.

2. Two Friends “Redwood”. This is a red VA/Perique  that looks like soft shredded bark right off a Redwood tree. The flavor (to me) is very spicy red Virginia. It really scratches that itch. It’s usually thought of as medium strength but it’s been know to hit me solidly on occasion.

3. Cornell & Diehl “Oriental Silk”.  This stuff is a treasure.  It is listed as an Oriental-Turkish/VA/ Perique. Only sold as bulk so far as I know. This stuff is a well balanced blending of floral, sour, buttery, earthy, citrus, spicy raisin fig flavors.  It behaves well, burns clean. It’s a medium strength blend for me. The two primary descriptors can be thought of as “delicious “ and “cheap”.  I’ve long considered this as my number one secret treasure kind of blend.

Oh yah, Redwood is pretty good alright! :D

I'll have to think on another three. The ones that keep popping up are no longer in production!

Beck's Ol' Limey Bastard at 4Noggins. I've only had it once in a smallish sample, so a few bowls, but that it was old, premium English used to be like. I obviously find Englishes that are good and that I like, but Beck's reminded me of a long time ago.

To list another two would be just pushing it and wasting everyone's time. People talk about the others I know. Beck's, not so much.

4-Noggins house blend (when Rich owned it) if you like aros...Killington.

Pipes & Cigars Scotty's blend Trout Stream and Butternut Burley...both aros.

Hope I don't get shot for telling about these blends that someone else told me about.

Blackhorse":9qc0p6mc said:
Name three blends that...are kinda old school, available and are very likely pretty much off most guy’s radar.

So...available...old school-ish...off the radar...

OH!  AND THEY HAVE TO BE REALLY GOOD!
First thing that came to mind for me is Uhle's. Been around since '39. One of the last standing B&M's who still do their own blending. And, it's what my late Pap smoked exclusively when we were living in the Milwaukee 'burbs.

Uhle's in general seems to be off the radar these days (and in fact for many years) as their strong suit is pretty much focused on Burley forward blends, with a codger taste and following. And they do it so well.

So without further adieu here's my 3 picks in no particular order-

1. Blend 255: This is what my Pap smoked exclusively. He was a one-brand-kinda-man. And it's what I started out with on my pipe journey. I figured that if it was good enough for Pap, it was good enough for me! And I still enjoy it occasionally to this day-

"Cube-cut burley with Cavendish, plus a subtle hint of licorice".

2. Blend 300: "Cube-cut and ribbon burley with black cavendish. Drizzled with honey for a touch of sweetness."

I hasten to add that the previous two are not considered aro's, at least not in my view. The licorice in 255 and the honey in 300 are very deftly applied.

3. Bishop's Move: First, let me say that I've moved away from Lat blends these days. Yet Bishop's Move was very probably my introduction to Latakia and I enjoyed this fine blend for many years as a new piper. Quite forthright and full bodied, as I recall.

"Virginia, Latakia, Perique, and Burley".

I've had other Uhle's blends but these are my top 3.

Cheers,

RR

Kramer's Father Dempsey comes to mind. Can't recall it ever being mentioned here. Two more?...too hard.

Zeno Marx":dpx9ge9e said:
Beck's Ol' Limey Bastard at 4Noggins.  I've only had it once in a smallish sample, so a few bowls, but that it was old, premium English used to be like.  I obviously find Englishes that are good and that I like, but Beck's reminded me of a long time ago.

To list another two would be just pushing it and wasting everyone's time.  People talk about the others I know.  Beck's, not so much.
Who was it that used to smoke a ton of that stuff? Was it LIPipe?

For me:

C&D Poplar Camp
GLP Embarcadero (admittedly, that was pretty popular on this board a while back, but that's the only place I've ever seen it talked about)
HH Louisiana Red

In all cases, I think it's largely a matter of recognizable brands with a large (or at least large-ish) catalog, so some of their line flies below the radar.

Hmmm...Hows' about E. Hoffman's "Spillman Mixture," GLP's "Embarcadero," and Dunhill's "Durbar." I would/could make a case for any of Georgetown Tobacco's blends which I never see mentioned anywhere! FWIW :cheers: FTRPLT

idbowman":l8nsldya said:
Who was it that used to smoke a ton of that stuff?  Was it LIPipe?
Yeah it was LIPipe. He turned me onto Beck's several years back. Beck's was formulated to be a 965 stand in. I always liked it better than MM965, or at least better than the Orlik stuff anyway.

Here's a few to add to the list

GLP Laurel Heights - One of those old school blends that claims to be a straight Virginia but has a fractile of latakia tucked-in to add a little something extra. Latakia haters won't detect it, latakia lovers might wish for a bit more, but either way it's a solid no-frills smoke. My only knock on Laurel Heights has to do with C&D changing the cut, but I won't harp on that any further. It's still good tobacco.

Peretti Cuban Mixture - a very old Peretti melange. I have been working up a review of this, and it's one of the hardest tobacco blends to describe for me. There's just so much going with it. A scant mint essence, burley flavors with cigar leaf and the smoky counterpoint of latakia, Virginia sweetness and floral notes of choice Turkish leaf. Very good, also mild but somehow very complex.

D&R Two Timer - Plain double toasted burley with very good flavor. Some complain that it's too dry and smokes a bit harsh. Personally I like it. Definitely scratches a certain itch for me.

Great thread for outting some hidden faves. I like light VA flakes, and the very Best Buy is actually a bulk, which is also renamed for some well known houses: Sutliff #507c Virginia Slices. It is in the realm of Dunhill Flake, and I suspect numerous Euroflakes use 507c as the base, to which various flavorants are added.

Need to ponder the other off-radar blends...

hp
les

I'm going to struggle here Mr BH, perhaps because I've been disciple of the briar for a comparatively short time compared to others on the BoB.  However, I'm going to offer 2 helpings from, I believe, Blighty...

1.  Condor
2.  St Bruno.

I may of course be wrong, but with the vast amount of choice with other more 'attractive' blends I recon these old classics now play second fiddle for most.  I associate these blends with the 70s when they seemed to be the staple of most pipe smokers here in the UK.  I recently YouTubed their TV ads and it brought back all sorts of childhood memories.  Of course, all smoking ads are now banned in the UK.

Stick":mu3g70ho said:
I'm going to struggle here Mr BH, perhaps because I've been disciple of the briar for a comparatively short time compared to others on the BoB.  However, I'm going to offer 2 helpings from, I believe, Blighty...

1.  Condor
2.  St Bruno.

I may of course be wrong, but with the vast amount of choice with other more 'attractive' blends I recon these old classics now play second fiddle for most.  I associate these blends with the 70s when they seemed to be the staple of most pipe smokers here in the UK.  I recently YouTubed their TV ads and it brought back all sorts of childhood memories.  Of course, all smoking ads are now banned in the UK.
Don't know those from the 70's mate, but they are 2 that I enjoy these days. St Bruno more than Condor.  And have to say that if they are consistent from what they once were then it's a bloody great thing.

Also need to say that in spite of these being classified as Lakelands, I have yet to have a problem with them as I'm normally one to avoid the dreaded "L" character! Also really enjoy Revor Plug. Have you had it? Bit strong, that one!

Cheers,

RR

When I bought my Pete Mark Twain a buddy insisted I wait to smoke it until a sample of a "secret" blend he was sending me arrived.  I did like it, and was expecting it to be some esoteric mixture from some off the path hole-in-the-wall shop he'd discovered.  When he finally owned up: Sutliff's Edward G. Robinson Pipe Blend!  Talk about old school!  Anyway I liked it well enough to order up a pound which I've been enjoying.

Two others: Presbyterian Mixture (which I recently became reacquainted with)…

And Diebel's Kentucky Broadcut

Hmmm, been mulling this over and here are my candidates:

Peretti's Burley Plug Cut (BPC)--I got the Peretti bug after trying their exquisite #8 Slice and the tasty Thanksgiving Day, so gave BPC and several of their other burley blends a try. This is hands down my favorite, just straight up, old school cube cut burley that burns like a dream and tastes just right. Nothing nuanced or ambitious about it, and it does wonders as a blending tobacco to give extra body to stuff like Firedance, but I mostly just smoke it by itself when I feel the need for something easy and dependable.

Hearth & Home's Classic Burley Kake--Everyone knows about Russ' Anni Kake but for whatever reason I never hear folk talking about this top notch blend. It's a lovely burley-forward krumble kake topped with cocoa, rum, and anise--these flavors really come through in the smoke, too, which makes it feel far more akin to Lakelands than American aromatics (but without any of the soap). I guess it strikes me as old school because it (apparently) has that quintessential pipe tobacco smell folks associate with days gone by but you're still tasting good, high quality tobacco.

Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.'s Kendal Dark--Just tried this for the first time and it's a beautiful beast, a powerful shag cut Virginia. Nothing fancy going on here, and if there's any Lakeland essence I don't really pick up on it. Could just be my imagination, being a young thug and all, but it strikes me as the sort of multi-purpose working class folk would've smoked in generations past--potent enough to give you a much-needed N kick if you only had time to roll it up in a cigarette, but tasty enough to be savored in your pipe with a big glass of porter at the end of the day.

Uhle’s 71 — described as the patriarch of Uhle’s English blends and tastes like a well done steak. I don’t know about the latter description, but it is a nice, relaxing smoke for sure.

Condor — only it’s not importable any more, alas.

Blend 222 — a white burley I cut my smoking teeth on, had a nice, satisfying woodsy taste, and then it just disappeared. A couple of Uhle’s burleys are very close