Navy Flake????

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davey

Reaction score
Fellas,
I was gifted some Peter Stokke that was labeled "Navy Flake." Is this the same as his "Luxury Navy Flake"?

And while we're on it....what is "NAVY" flake or "NAVY" english anyway????

Yes that's Luxury Navy Flake.

Navy Flake is almost as used as cavendish Its almost always a flake. Sometimes straight virginia,sometime virginia/burley,sometimes virginia/latakia, sometimes virginia/perique. To confuse matters even worse sometimes its Rum topped sometimes its not.

I've quit trying to peg what 'it' is. What's worse is there are as many storys as to how it came about as there are diff varietys. The only thing that really ties all the storys together is that at some point it was smoked on a boat.

Stokkebyes version is a Virginia/perique blend. Its adecent smoke fresh, far better if allowed to settle for 6 months to a year.

I'm fairly sure that the term "Navy Flake" refers to the tobacco being cased with rum.I'm not sure if this practice is still followed.MacBaren's NB is my all time favorite blend and I've never noticed even a hint of a rum...

Best,
Dock
:pipe:

good stuff guys. :cheers:

I just had a bowlful of this Navy and I have to say it was great. Was not expecting to enjoy such a mild weed as much as I did...really began to pick out some nuttiness,a and the subtle perique as I smoked the bowl from 1/2 way to 3/4 down.

oops...I suppose I should post this in "REVIEW"...sorry

Davey":9lrq48cg said:
good stuff guys. :cheers:
Indeed it is good stuff! That's why there is always some around here for smoking, and a lot more canned/cellared for future.

You're not kidding Drifter. I am gonna grab a pound of this stuff soon!

this is a really nice blend. how the term "navy flake" came about, i leave that to the historians. :lol:
all i know is that this is one of my favorite blends and have another 4 oz on the way, should be here tomorrow (with some much needed pipe cleaners). i prefer this one to "bullseye flake", it just seems more thick and velvety of a smoke (i guess 'depth' could be used there).

I really like C&D's version of it called Blockade Runner. It is all VA soaked in premium rum for seven days, according to the description. Very tasty!

Justpipes":tihpqhcw said:
I really like C&D's version of it called Blockade Runner. It is all VA soaked in premium rum for seven days, according to the description. Very tasty!
Yeah, I'll 2nd, 3rd and 4th that sentiment. It's also a crumblecake which makes it nice and easy to rub out for smoking. I'm glad I peeked into this thread as it reminds me I'm nearly outta Blockade Runner and need to re-up.

I'm a big fan of PS's Luxury Navy Flake (although I agree that I always used to think of a navy flake as having some rum). I think LNF is a solid B smoke when fresh, but with two or more years of age it becomes a solid A smoke. I think it transforms with age more postively than just about any other blend (although I think GLP's Montgomery is up there with it). To me, LNF with age rises above McC's 2015 by a hair to be the best bang-for-the-buck VAPER. Well, FWIW & YMMV.

Cheers,

TC