Navy Flakes and Quality Rum

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winslow

Reaction score
I like Navy Flakes and rum flavored tobaccos,I got to thinking that the blenders probably don't use high
quality rum,probably some artificial extract in most blends.So I took some Stokkeby Luxury Navy Flake and
some Goslings Rum and followed these directions;after a few months of age I have a wonderful Navy Flake,
just superb!

Infusing tobacco provides the richest and longest lasting flavors. The process is easy to do. First place your tobacco in your mixing bowl and weight it on your scale. Note the weight. For an example let say 16 ounces (1 lb.). Now set the tobacco aside or let it sit on the scale while it dries out. Exposed to air all tobacco will lose moisture. Do not try to accelerate the process with heat or sunlight as that will only damage the tobacco. Once the tobacco has dried to the proper weight it's time to infuse. There is no set weight I can prescribe. You'll have to experiment but as a rule of thumb 1 - 3 ounces. Spray your flavoring on the dried tobacco until it reaches it's original weight. If you let the tobacco dry by 2 ounces then you will be using 2 ounces of flavoring. You are reintroducing the moisture that was lost but this time it is flavored and will infuse the tobacco. Lightly spray the flavor a little at a time and very lightly toss. You don't want to apply any pressure or roughness to the mixing process due to the dryness of the tobacco. Once the tobacco is back up to it's original weight and well mixed let it sit for about an hour and add more flavor if there is any further evaporation. Let set a spell before smoking. You can use any of the above mentioned flavors to infuse.

Winslow

That is interesting Steve! As far as rum flavored blends go I have always enjoyed C&D's Blockade Runner.

Great recipe! But don't forget, if you dry the tobacco by two ounces, and then pour two ounces (weight, not volume) of good rum onto the tobacco, what oh what are we to do with the rest of that bottle of rum? :twisted:

Wait, I think I can solve that problem...

Natch

Brilliant Winslow! I have wondered about trying to make some high-quality flavored tobaccos but never got anywhere close to figuring the process so well.

We will have to call you "The Professor"! :cheers:

Nice Winslow, well done, for me these things are best left to the experts such as yourself!!

I stole that recipie from Vegas Smokes,I'm no genius.But the Navy Flake I created with that
Goslings Black Seal Rum is sublime.

Winslow

Winslow":5k3xv0rw said:
I stole that recipie from Vegas Smokes,I'm no genius.But the Navy Flake I created with that
Goslings Black Seal Rum is sublime.

Winslow
Small World Winslow,
So Did I, from Vegas smokes.com, even read the thread on how to,
Thrust me brother, you don't wana know what came out the other end. It looked like cooking spice!!!!!!

These things are best left to the masters such as yourself!!!
Good on Ya! :cheers:

Natch":ezwf03br said:
So I could do this using Ripple on my dried-out Walnut, and what again would the final result be?

Natch
Yea Natch was waiting for that one!!!!!!!!!
Now why spoil a perfect high quality baccy with low quality booze???????
Why is your walnut dried out bro, you need to smoke it faster then, or pass it down, know what I'm saying!!!

:lol!: :lol!:

Thanks Winslow for the recipe. I am going to experiment with a tin of Hamborger Veermaster.

Fumo Bro

Now I know a lot of you want to flavor your tobacco, but flavoring such an awesome blend such as Hamborger Beermeister? Have you no mercy?

But if I wanted to flavor my tobacco, Winslow's recipe sounds like a great method.

I have a tin Veermaster that was opened a while ago and now the contents have completely dried-out. I saved the tin as I was thinking about rehydrating the tobacco. But when I came across Winslow's recipe, I thought the dried Veermaster would be good to experiment. Besides I have nothing else to use. :D

alfredo_buscatti":0ixxeicu said:
Now I know a lot of you want to flavor your tobacco, but flavoring such an awesome blend such as Hamborger Beermeister? Have you no mercy?

But if I wanted to flavor my tobacco, Winslow's recipe sounds like a great method.
I guess i will bring some light to the understanding of the actual meaning of: "Hamburger Veermaster"

"Hamburg" of course means the big port city in the north of Germany. That is clear i guess.

"Veermaster" is quite difficult. "Veer" is for "vier" what is "four" in german. "master" hasnt anything to do with the english word "master". It comes from the german word "Mast" what is (funny enought) "mast" in english and refers to the mast on
a sailer. What in the end means, the name "Hamburger Veermaster" refers to old sailing ships - one with 4 masts to be exact. :sunny: