Navy Rolls

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have smoked a couple tins of Dunhill Navy Flake, however I have not kept it in my rotation, as I prefer Rattray's Hal O' The Wynd for my vaper in regular rotation, simply because I can buy it in bulk and stove it in large quantity.

Here is a link to some reviews. I found it very interesting that one reviewer has determined that Dunhill Navy Rolls and Escudo are exactly the same blend, made in the same factory.....

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=D&TID=1775

I read the review very interesting. I will have to order a tin and try them.

MisterE":3px2lvo8 said:
I think the two are close enough that I'd save the money and get Escudo.
As much as I like the 'new' Dunhill blends, I'd have to agree with Mr. E on this. :p

I love DDNR, and have heard it's the same as Escudo.

Why not get a tin, and enlighten some of us from across the pond,as we can't get Escudo here.!

Go on ya know ya wan't ta. ;)

Always stock up when the spring Dunhill sales hit the etailers. I like to smoke it and pretend it is not Escudo.

If you like DDNR and buy it from Pipes&cigars.com with their buy 2 get 1 free deal, it is actually cheaper than escudo.

I think that any business that went to the trouble to tweak Escudo/Navy Rolls such that there were appreciable differences and seeks to profit by this instead of simply labeling the tins differently and saving the production costs of making two blends has rocks in their head.

There are very few pipe smokers whom I would trust to smoke both blends back to back and claim difference. One's thoughts often conclusively determine what he experiences; that is, since some think them different, they become such.

alfredo_buscatti":h6vn1x8k said:
There are very few pipe smokers whom I would trust to smoke both blends back to back and claim difference. One's thoughts often conclusively determine what he experiences; that is, since some think them different, they become such.
This.

swhipple":mnqcdbth said:
If you like DDNR and buy it from Pipes&cigars.com with their buy 2 get 1 free deal, it is actually cheaper than escudo.
Exactly. A great way to stock up on Escudo.

Shoot now I have questions! Are these Navy rolls in coins or rope? How do these compare to 4noggins' ALAMOSA, because I've had that one and loved it! And the descriptions sound almost the same.

Indy, Deluxe Navy Rolls are coin shaped. The tobacco is rolled and spun into this shape before it is cut into coins, hence the rolls reference. I can't tell you about the Alamosa, as I have never tried it.

I find the Escudo very much like Orlick Golden Sliced in quality and flavor. I think the Escudo may have just a bit more Perique. Both are excellent VaPers IMHO with Orlick Golden Sliced being my favorite. I would rate the Vitamin "N" as mild to medium. The coins make for easy packing. If you like VaPers I don't believe you'll be disappointed in Escudo.
AJ

alfredo_buscatti":ebctw3hx said:
I've not smoked OGS but it's a straight VA, according to the sites.
From the back of my tin : " A blend of golden, fully ripe Virginia and a little Perique. Naturally sweet." It does NOT have much but it is a VaPer albeit not as strong Perique wise as Escudo or Navy Flakes. It's the only VaPer I really enjoy so I smoke a lot of it :twisted:

monbla256":r9ce6h7j said:
alfredo_buscatti":r9ce6h7j said:
I've not smoked OGS but it's a straight VA, according to the sites.
From the back of my tin : " A blend of golden, fully ripe Virginia and a little Perique. Naturally sweet." It does NOT have much but it is a VaPer albeit not as strong Perique wise as Escudo or Navy Flakes. It's the only VaPer I really enjoy so I smoke a lot of it :twisted:
Love OGS. And frankly I don't detect any p-weed in it.

What is there must certainly be subtle as all getout. And I love VaPers. And perique in general.

Go figure.....

Cheers,

RR

I did a taste comparison of the two yesterday, and I'd say they are very close, but not quite the same. Escudo is a little less earthy/muddy tasting, and slightly more hay and grass-like, a lightly drier smoke.

The Murray's NR was superior to the new version: deeper, fuller in taste and a little sweeter than today's version.