Need a little Help

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgtarheel

Reaction score
I have an Askwith nosewarmer that has developed a hairline crack where the stem inserts into the mortise. Any advise on how to repair it? The stem is a little loose and the crack is 1/2 inch long.

Epoxy and a tightly fitting silver or gold band.
Of course you could cut off the cracked portion of the shank and re-drill the mortise but, that depends on how long the shank is. But, you did say it was a nose warmer so maybe not. A photo would help.

Did the crack seem to simply 'appear' all of its own accord or was the stem difficult to insert one time and you gave it a little more force than might have been advisable to get the stem in, was the pipe in your pocket at any time!

I do not ask that for any uncool reason, if the crack seemed to developed all by itself then the pipe should be returned to the maker for replacement as the crack was most likely already there when the pipe was shipped out and has gotten worse as the pipe has been smoked in such a case it should never have been sold in such a condition, but if it happened due to careless handling then a paid repair is the order of the day.

Floyd Norwood, he's been repairing pipes before most of us knew what one was and he has the quickest turn around unlike most that take a month.
Norwoods Pipe Repair

Norwood's gets the call when I need repairs or stems. Their work is First Quality, great service and quick turn time around and the best prices.

Stinger

You might like to go to this website and do some reading. http://rebornpipes.com/
This guy is good at fixing pipes and he has several articles, with pics, on the type of repairs you need.
I keep this link book marked. Very handy.