need a review of the dark lords maduro cut cake (Key Largo)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vaperfavour

Reaction score
what the post says. i am a fool for vapers an even bigger fool for cigar blends!

Imagine a flake that looks like G&H made it, dark with golden speckles and musty smelling. When lit it produces rich but mellow baritone notes built on a soft Virginia base devoid of even a hint of bite, and seasoned so lightly with latakia that it's presence is but a mere suggestion of cyprian smokiness that never dominates the palate but lives to enhance and add contrast to the sweet, rich, moderate presence of cigar leaf. The blend is quite melded together and the components behave like they've been married for years. It's sweet and earthy and deeply rich while never becoming imposing.

I believe it is his finest work to date!

i agree with puff daddy. I generally have not enjoyed most pease blends but this is a sure winner and makes me hope he does other flake tobaccos in the future A full run Stonehenge Flake might be a good idea

One word "CREAMY".

Can't wait till the release date :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

ohhh no, my wallet is groaning with anticipation!!! very intriguing. i second the motion of a full run Stonehenge Flake....err... i mean i third my first motion....( huh?) the thoughts of this maduro cut cake have me confused and dazed and in a tizzy and i find my self breathing the words " Stonehenge Flake......Stonehenge Flake...." wait must put stem back in mouth :lol!: yes yes when is the release date :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Puff Daddy":bhla3g0f said:
Imagine a flake that looks like G&H made it, dark with golden speckles and musty smelling. When lit it produces rich but mellow baritone notes built on a soft Virginia base devoid of even a hint of bite, and seasoned so lightly with latakia that it's presence is but a mere suggestion of cyprian smokiness that never dominates the palate but lives to enhance and add contrast to the sweet, rich, moderate presence of cigar leaf. The blend is quite melded together and the components behave like they've been married for years. It's sweet and earthy and deeply rich while never becoming imposing.

I believe it is his finest work to date!
I feel like pavlov's dog! :cheers:

GLP sent me a sample of a prototype for this blend. Tastings below:

Bowl 1: confusion-building cake
Bowl 2: much better-lat and cigar leaf two distinct tastes, yet the flavors lacked fullness, seemed crippled
Bowl 3: flavors close to fullness; hmmmm, I wonder if I like this. Maybe I need a tin to decide.
Bowl 4: the deep tones of this blend are growing on me, and the marriage of the latakia and cigar leaf seems more appropriate
Bowl 5: the taste catches up to the intoxicating aroma; an incredible marriage of latakia and the cigar leaf. I can’t taste the Orientals but that is par for the course unless they are put in my face such as in Embarcadero.
The red Virginia I find only in the smooth balance of the latakia and cigar leaf. The latakia has a slight edge in taste,
Bowl 6: the flavors of the latakia and cigar leaf are intensely deep, separable and completely complimentary; latakia loses the lead
Bowl 7: Didn’t analyze much but savored the blend.

Overall the flavor is superb-deep, earthy, rich

alfredo_buscatti":azzi9wa1 said:
GLP sent me a sample of a prototype for this blend. Tastings below:

Bowl 1: confusion-building cake
Bowl 2: much better-lat and cigar leaf two distinct tastes, yet the flavors lacked fullness, seemed crippled
Bowl 3: flavors close to fullness; hmmmm, I wonder if I like this. Maybe I need a tin to decide.
Bowl 4: the deep tones of this blend are growing on me, and the marriage of the latakia and cigar leaf seems more appropriate
Bowl 5: the taste catches up to the intoxicating aroma; an incredible marriage of latakia and the cigar leaf. I can’t taste the Orientals but that is par for the course unless they are put in my face such as in Embarcadero.
The red Virginia I find only in the smooth balance of the latakia and cigar leaf. The latakia has a slight edge in taste,
Bowl 6: the flavors of the latakia and cigar leaf are intensely deep, separable and completely complimentary; latakia loses the lead
Bowl 7: Didn’t analyze much but savored the blend.

Overall the flavor is superb-deep, earthy, rich
Nice analogy Mike!

I thought I would bump this thread even though I'm a little late to the game as usual. I see on Greg's website that not only has the name of Maduro Cut Cake changed, so has the blend itself. On his website he says :
"Never satisfied, however, I made some very delicate changes to the blend, nothing drastic. The new version is just bit better balanced, and slightly more refined."
Oooohhhh! That's sounds good to me. The two bowls that I was fortunate enough to sample were eye opening delicious, but a little rough on the back of the throat. I attributed the slight "roughness" to youth (both mine and the tobaccos). Maybe something was identified as being "rough" in the blend and altered to make it "slightly more refined". Sorry for butchering tobacco review speak Greg. Maybe you can patch up the mess that I make here.

He then goes on to say "The name of the new blend will be Key Largo, joining Maltese Falcon as the second member of the Golden Age series. Once the artwork for the labels is done, and the production details are ironed out, it will be ready for release."

You go ahead and do that Mr. Pease. I have my credit card in hand and at the ready. I'll probably start off slowly with a half a dozen of the two oz. tins.

I edited the title for you folks awaiting the early shipments of Key Largo. I know some of you have received your orders of Key Largo already.

How about some more reviews! :D