Need Advice!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuitarMyFriend

Reaction score
Hey Gents,
I put out an add looking to trade for some McClelland's Blackwoods Flake, offering a couple tins and an ounce or two of my Dunbar. A gentleman offered me an opened tin of 1996 Blackwoods Flake that he opened and took one bowl from for a couple ounces of Dunbar. He said it's been sitting since then in his kitchen opened for 22 years, not sealed/ jarred. As desperate as I am, I'm considering it. Any advice would be appreciated! Is it worth it? Is it savable?
Thanks Guys,
Zach

Well, if you want the Blackwoods, and you have the Dunbar to spare, why not?

I took a (small) gamble three years ago on a 7 oz. tin of Larus Bros. Edgeworth Extra High Grade Sliced I found at a garage/estate sale. At its youngest, it was 42 years old!! The contents were dry as sand. I very carefully rehydrated the slices in the tin so as not to compromise the slices. Lo and behold; in 10 days all was well. The slices were pliable as I carefully removed them from the tin and placed them in a large glass jar. I still have about 1/2 of them. The smoke is wonderful!! That said, I'm sure a goodly bit of the original oils in the tobacco are long gone; but this stuff smokes like a dream! I'm with Ozzie; give it a shot!! Whatta' ya' got to lose!!!! :cheers: FTRPLT

DrumsAndBeer":3sx7a7yz said:
That sounds dicey. I love Blackwoods Flake, but I’d keep the Dunbar.
This.

I've re-hydrated really dry 'baccy a few times and it's always been a disappointment. So I guess if it were me I'd pass on the 22 yr old Blackwoods since it's sure to be dry as dust.

Cheers,

RR

GuitarMyFriend":508aulvx said:
I passed it up... I feel like a fool, but I'll keep my up my search.
Zach
Keep a watch on pipestud's site. He gets in all sorts of stuff and when it's posted you gotta grab it right now. Of course anything like Blackwoods also comes with the appropriate price tag.

Cheers,

RR

Hey thanks!
That's the first I've heard of that site! I'll definitely keep an eye out for it now!

Zach

None other than Mike McNeil of McClellands has been quoted as saying that , basically, once flakes are dried out you just can't re-hydrate them back to their former selves. I tried it out of desperation with a can of forgotten Dark Star foolishly opened and left in the can and hidden away behind tins upon tins and found all my attempts at revival came to dust.