Need help, advice for clearing a Meer. obstructed airway.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant Gimper

Reaction score
Sorry for the extended subject but I am in serious need of any or all Brother's advice for correcting the problem. I had a push-pull stem added recently & that seemed to create the problem because I cannot now reach the draught hole at the base of the shank. I have soaked the shank with alcohol & have used a can of compressed air in my futal attempts to correct the plug problem. If this was a "cheapie", I would pitch it in the garbage but it is a Yanik & worth a few bucks. If any of you can or would suggest a solution to this problem, I will be eternally grateful. Thanks in advance.
Gimper

Here's my 2 cents worth;Sometimes the tars will build up and become very hard
if the pipe wasn't cleaned often.Try a piece of 14-18 gauge solid copper wire which
costs a quarter at hard ware store and try to push it through the shank.Copper is soft,so risk of damage is little.Or.........sometimes fluff from pipe cleaners builds up
behind the screw-in tenon.Unscrew the tenon and see if there is a clog of gunk in there.You said you used alcohol already,that would be my next move. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Winslow

GG...Quite frankly, you might consider calling the person who did the tenon work and explain the problem. Could this blockage be from a tiny (or several very tiny) pieces of meer refuse from the repair getting stuck down in the shank?? Brother Winslows idea with the wire is what I usually do. I have two meers and a horn-stemmed pipe that need a little wire TLC every now and then!! Let us know what you come up with! FTRPLT

i have a mer that gets cloged like that to the point of no air passing i take a lighter and put the pipe upside down in my mouth so the flame with hit the houl at thedraw hole it will cause the tars to start to burn and suck on it as u do this and all of a suden poof the flame sucks in the pipe buring out the clog i o this same method to my clay chirch wardens hard copper has a risk of cracking the pipe.