Need help identifying my grandfather's pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingcobradude

Reaction score
I have been smoking one of my grandfather's pipes, but I need help identifying it. It has all the features of a Peterson system, but I don't recognize the markings. Also, it is massive, I need churchwarden cleaners to properly clean the stem. And it is a 2 plus hour smoke easily. Anyone know who made this pipe?

Attachments

• 20210725_150313.jpg
    20210725_150313.jpg
    495.5 KB · Views: 130
  • 20210725_150635.jpg
    20210725_150635.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 131
Your grandfather was smoking a WDC Wellington. The triangle has on the inside of it W over DC standing for the William Demuth Pipe Company. It is a big o honker of a pipe just like mine and it looks like he really took good care of it.

Your grandfather was smoking a WDC Wellington. The triangle has on the inside of it W over DC standing for the William Demuth Pipe Company. It is a big o honker of a pipe just like mine and it looks like he really took good care of it.
Thanks for clarifying. They seem to be budget Peterson copies from my quick Google search. Which makes sense, my grandfather didn't have fancy pipes in general. Still it's a great smoker, and one of my most cherished and favorite pipes

Whoa! Hold on there. William Demuth was making pipes well before Peterson came along. I would venture to say they stole the Well System from WDC, patent it in Europe and named it Peterson's System pipe.

Seriously though they made many pipes for all kinds of smokers. U.S. President presentation pipes down to the working Joe.

Whoa! Hold on there. William Demuth was making pipes well before Peterson came along. I would venture to say they stole the Well System from WDC, patent it in Europe and named it Peterson's System pipe.

Seriously though they made many pipes for all kinds of smokers. U.S. President presentation pipes down to the working Joe.
That was my 30 second Google research. It is an absolutely wonderful pipe, especially since it was my grandfather's. Though, what were they finished with? The finish was/is flaky, but a wax buffing helped a lot

and it looks like he really took good care of it.
I am surprised how good of condition it was in, the only major problem was massive stem oxidation. Most of his pipes have the stem bit through completely. A couple are nearly burnt through. One was missing the stem entirely.

Do you know what tobacco blend/brand he smoked?

Sounds like he was a clencher maybe because he was doing things with his hands while he smoked. The one that has the missing stem was could have been his favorite till he wore the stem completely down to nothing.

Do you know what tobacco blend/brand he smoked?

Sounds like he was a clencher maybe because he was doing things with his hands while he smoked. The one that has the missing stem was could have been his favorite till he wore the stem completely down to nothing.
Something otc in a pouch. I will look when I get back from my fishing trip, there still is a pouch in his old pipe rack. He did give up pipe and cigar smoking before I was born though.
I do plan to make a new stem for the one missing the stem. My grandfather loved working with his hands.