need help with pipe cleaning

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingcobradude

Reaction score
ive been smoking my all wood homemade pipes, and after I smoke them I run cleaners through till they come out clean, and they still have an awful taste. what do I do? and im only 18, so whisky or everclear is out of the picture

I use 91% isopropyl, which is the highest % sold locally. I use it after every smoke, and I ever taste is tobacco.

Make sure they rest a day between bowls or the moisture will build up and make them sour

As for cleaning, you might have to turn to someone old enough to have alcohol... Fill the bowl with salt, add some high proof spirit, let sit until dry, clean out and repeat until fresh

Important to let it dry so the salt forms a solid mass - the tars will come out mostly at the end of the drying process

If isopropyl is safe then it should work fine, I cant imagine it leaving anything dangerous behind...

You could also buy a bottle of pipe sweetener, that should be alcohol with some minor flavoring...

Good description with the salt technique, I haven't had to use it, but now I know. 8)

Isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol) is safe to use on pipes (obviously, don't drink it) but I am sensitive to the residue, it has a slightly funny taste grain or ethyl alcohol does not impart. Again, this is me.

I use cotton balls; less messy than salt.
It's the alcohol that does the work.
I can get Everclear, so that's what I use.

Hermit":h3ed0aao said:
Huh. Can I get ghetto and just stuff toilet paper in 'em?

Kyle Weiss":mnhgoree said:
Hermit":mnhgoree said:
Huh. Can I get ghetto and just stuff toilet paper in 'em?
That'll work; just get unscented. :lol:

On second thought, it'll prolly coat the bowl. :x

Hermit":7d1uasi8 said:
That'll work; just get unscented. :lol:

On second thought, it'll prolly coat the bowl. :x
I don't like the scented TP anyway... I'll try ghetto-freshening when the need arises, worst that can happen is I have to take the nylon rifle brush and get the TP "dottle" outta there before I light up. :lol:

Come on Kyle, get some cotton balls!
There less likely to fall apart after being soaked with alcohol.
Because you may just fine yourself picking little pieces of TP out of your bowl all day.
Pipe bowl that is.

I always hesitate spending money on something I might not need to, and then having it take up space for six years because I use it so rarely. :lol: I'm always looking for alternatives! 8) Salt may be a way to go, as well. Again, not to be myopic, but I haven't had a sour/fouled pipe to contend with as of yet, so as the need arises. I'm pretty sure the TP in the bowl would equate to not-much-fun. Might try newspaper. Damn ads from the postbox must be good for something.

Cartaphilus":hyah82s3 said:
Come on Kyle, get some cotton balls!
There less likely to fall apart after being soaked with alcohol.
Because you may just fine yourself picking little pieces of TP out of your bowl all day.
Pipe bowl that is.

Let's hold a bake sale to buy Kyle some cotton balls. :lol!:

Hermit":l339uzvf said:
Let's hold a bake sale to buy Kyle some cotton balls. :lol!:
photo-10.jpg

Eat your heart out, Martha Stewart.