Need some tobacco suggestions.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herbinedave

Reaction score
For the last 20 years I have more often then not smoked Ed Buraks Connoisseur Smoke Shop Scottish RIbbon, a great Virginia flake tobacco. Soon all that I have had stored will be gone. He closed down in 2009. I know Park Lane tobacco in Albany NY, has there Connoisseur Flake and do enjoy it but it is not the same. When you think of both of these tobaccos, they are along the lines of Mac Baren Mixture Scottish, only much more tasteful and mellower. I have begun trying some English blends such as FM, FMOTT, Penzance, SL, and Dunhill EMP which I smoked 20 years ago religiously. Here is my question: Do I go the same route as in the past, or should I broaden my tobacco horizons when money permit?

Give the Stokkebye flakes a try. Those have always been kind to me.

I noticed that you live up in Massachussits so was wondering have you been to Boston to J.L. Peretti's on Park Sq. ? They have a nice, full flavord flake called Scottish Flake which might be along the lines of what you used to smoke. I try to keep a supply of their Royal Blend on hand as it is my Balkan/English blend /mixture of choice! McClelland's also has some VERY NICE flakes, Mature Virginia #27 and Blackwoods Flake being two of my faves. If Boston's not to far, it might be worth a trip to see and try some of their 'bac :p

Well from your tobacco list, it looks like you've tried quite a few excellent mixtures. I can second monbla's recommendation of Blackwoods Flake. Solani's Flakes are really nice, both Aged Burley Flake and Silver Flake. Another I really like is Long Golden Flake by Reiner, nice semi sweet Virginia with some perique and white burley mixed in. Unfortunately these three are a tad bit pricey and can't be found in bulk. Other than that, they're great.

monbla256":yjn6gh9q said:
I noticed that you live up in Massachussits so was wondering have you been to Boston to J.L. Peretti's on Park Sq. ? They have a nice, full flavord flake called Scottish Flake which might be along the lines of what you used to smoke. I try to keep a supply of their Royal Blend on hand as it is my Balkan/English blend /mixture of choice! McClelland's also has some VERY NICE flakes, Mature Virginia #27 and Blackwoods Flake being two of my faves. If Boston's not to far, it might be worth a trip to see and try some of their 'bac :p
I am about 3 hours from Boston so I will have to look them up online. Thanks for the recommendations of tobacco, all food for thought for future purchases.

I would also recommend L.J. Peretti, they have some superb English blends.

Smokey

I assume you've tried Park-Lane's "Liebman's Scottish Flake" which is supposed to be one of the contenders for the replacement to the one now gone. Reading the descriptions and a few of the comments at the tobacco review site kind of tells the story.

I've recently been on a little journey...having always enjoyed a wide variety of blends...I've discovered that VA/Per's with Turkish or other Orientals are a major treat. Some of the ones I've come across also have some added Burley which is another good addition, all other things being in the right place.

There are two in that line that I would recommend. The first is C&D's "Sunday Picnic" which EVERYBODY seems to love. The other is C&D's "Oriental Silk" which NO ONE seems to know about. The first is a flake, the second is not. Both are outrageously excellent.

The other recommendation I would have, and here again we have two that are alike and different, just like the prior two. The genre is Dark Fired Kentucky. The blends are GLP's "JackKnife Plug" and MacBaren's "Stockton". Both are very straight in terms of their flavors...the JackKnife is super popular and well loved...on the other hand, Stockton is likely a known commodity to a very small group of Kentucky fanatics.

I could make lots of other suggestions. But you asked whether you should branch out. I'll answer that one for you instead. In short...yes, you should. Why? Since you were in your prior heyday of pipe enjoyment, what did you say...well, a lotta years ago...pipe tobacco blends have quite literally skyrocketed into the stratosphere in all sorts of ways that I won't take the time to detail...but to not take advantage of that would be such a huge mistake. Don't make that huge mistake!!! Well, that's my humble opinion anyway.