New age Texan's and others

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDPipes

Mental Illness is a Terrible thing to Waste!
Reaction score
For awhile now I've been noticing a lot of people and not just Texans or shall we say so called Texans haven't a fricken clue to what ones word is. What I mean by that is where I come from, and it's not Texas but, I figure I'm more Texan them most out here anymore. Anyway, I've gotten off track, I was about to say "Where I come from there's more value put on a mans word then there is on anything, what you say is who you are and if ya can't keep your word then what are you............worthless that's what! What the hell has happened to people nowadays? They all run around with there heads shoved up the rears with one thing in mind "ME". So self-centered that nothing else matters to them except there little world and how far they can get in it.
No Honor, No Dignity, No Morals, just screw everyone else, they don't matter. :fpalm:
I see them at Walmart and other places going about there day pushing, shoving and doing there best just to get in front of the other guy no matter the cost. Southern Hospitality, Hog Wash! There is no such thing.
It died 20 or more years ago along with the others I mentioned. So for all those that fit into this category let me show you some respect and step out of the way of the steaming freight train to hell you all are on and wish you all the best.
And some still wonder why I'm a Hermit.

MisterE":47dh83p7 said:
Okaaaay, so what happened? :scratch:
Ah, Just gett'en tired of dealing with people again I reckon. There all like cattle, no I take that back.
Cattle have more sense.
I just wanted to make sure that they all know I'll happily help them on there way to where ever they think there go'en with a smile on my face and glee in my heart.

I take it you guys don't see whats going on around you, or maybe you all are just able to ignore it more then I. Or maybe you all don't have these sort of people around you, which is hard to believe.
Ya know maybe, just maybe if more of us complained about these type people maybe some of them would wake up and smell the coffee.
I know, that's hoping for a lot but, that seems to be one of the few things they haven't yet been able to take from me..........Hope. :fpalm:

Cartaphilus":ldzw83te said:
I take it you guys don't see whats going on around you, or maybe you all are just able to ignore it more then I. Or maybe you all don't have these sort of people around you, which is hard to believe.
Ya know maybe, just maybe if more of us complained about these type people maybe some of them would wake up and smell the coffee.
I know, that's hoping for a lot but, that seems to be one of the few things they haven't yet been able to take from me..........Hope. :fpalm:
Well, around here people are pretty polite and straightforward. You go into town and it's a different story. The folks on BoB are friendly and seem reliable. But none of this is new. It's more like 50 years. I remember people being polite generally in the early 60's. And of course that often excluded large numbers of "the wrong" people. But after that things changed pretty drastically. There are still plenty of nice people. But I don't have overly high expectations. So when I meet someone who is particularly nice, reliable, honest, ect. I'm pleasantly surprised. I don't want to go through life angry all the time. Which is what happens if you have high expectations. You just can't change people, they are what they are. :)

Southern hospitality still exist. It just doesn't seem like it is so. That's because such a huge portion of the population of the South now consist of non-Southerners.

Come spend some time in Korea and you will appreciate your Texan neighbors. Consideration for others and politeness towards strangers...alien concepts here. But as my old man always said to me "Don't let the bastards grind you down." Really...enjoy your pipe and take comfort in the knowledge that you are not one of them.

Okay, I understand there are still "some" good people out there but, if we stuff our heads in the sand like the Ostrich nothing will ever get better. I rant and rave and am very angry because what people have done to each other and keep doing and hope maybe just a few will hear me and change there ways and understand there actions no matter what they may be affect others. Countless times I heard "You shouldn't care what other people think" and that is SOoooooooo wrong in so many ways. Cause if you don't care that just goes to prove you don't care about people. As much as I dislike people in general I care about them (and that still puzzles me)and what they 're making of this world we're trying to live in. Can I fix it, NO! Not without help. Maybe I'm a control freak but, I don't think so, at least not in a way that I'm trying to control people for my own gains. I want people to spend sometime in the other guys shoes and stop for a minute and think how there actions affect everyone around them. Simply put, be unselfish. Granted all of us have been selfish in one way or another including me and I'm constantly battling it. I tell my children  the hardest things to do in life are the Right things. If only they'd all see it and take the time before they just jump and do what they want just because it's easier to do. But, I reckon ya just have to have a bit of pride in yourself to do that and I see many that don't know what that is anymore. Chasing the dollar and keeping up with the Jone's is all that seems to matter anymore with many. My own children have been drawn in to it and thankfully have started to see it. No this is not about my children, not directly. It's about the few I've had to deal with in the last month. But, it seems that most the time I have to rely on another individual to stand behind his or her word the story is always the same. I wish I could go through life without having to rely on anyone and do it all myself but, that would mean being completely self sufficient but, I'm not a shoe maker, nor am I a tobacco manufacturer, nor am I a farmer, etc. etc. and I need things from others that are skilled in these areas.
So unless we all want to live out in the back woods and live very simple lives and have the skills to do so we're all reliant on each other. But, being self sufficient wouldn't change how things are would it or maybe if everyone had to be maybe it would. Then they'd understand how there actions affect everyone.
If they didn't go out and till the field there family wouldn't eat, if they didn't hunt there family wouldn't have any meat, etc. etc. Modern times have made different people out of us, relying on each other to get the things we need and want. I reckon it boils down to we WANT too much nowadays and have lost the idea of just wanting our simple needs, food, clothing and, a roof over out heads. Gees! has this gone astray from the original post. Anyway I reckon ya all got my point by now, or maybe not. I'm done. :fpalm:

Psmith":6d92d33k said:
Come spend some time in Korea and you will appreciate your Texan neighbors.  Consideration for others and politeness towards strangers...alien concepts here.  But as my old man always said to me "Don't let the bastards grind you down." Really...enjoy your pipe and take comfort in the knowledge that you are not one of them.
And this sir is what I try to do.............then reality kicks in. :fpalm:

I think you could view this two ways. If you believe in God then He has it under control, so all you're really doing is arguing with Him that He doesn't know what He's doing. If you don't believe in God all you're doing is shaking your fist at the universe. Either way you're accomplishing nothing but spending your life PO'd. I don't want to live my life continually angry, disappointed, ect. I prefer to concentrate on my family and community. That's where you really have an impact in the first place. I gave up worrying about the cares of the world ages ago. You ain't gonna change it except around you. All you're going to do is waste the precious little time you have here being frustrated. :)

eklektos44":1baslnni said:
I think you could view this two ways. If you believe in God then He has it under control, so all you're really doing is arguing with Him that He doesn't know what He's doing. If you don't believe in God all you're doing is shaking your fist at the universe.  Either way you're accomplishing nothing but spending your life PO'd. I don't want to live my life continually angry, disappointed, ect. I prefer to concentrate on my family and community. That's where you really have an impact in the first place. I gave up worrying about the cares of the world ages ago. You ain't gonna change it except around you. All you're going to do is waste the precious little time you have here being frustrated. :)
I'll agree with you to a point that yes God knows what he's doing. But, he has no control or should I say he will not control people in a way to make them do what they should because he has give ALL of us free will and hoped we'd see his way and do what's right. The remainder of us that wish not to do these things are sadly doomed to the nether regions.
I admit, I'm letting off a little steam and see'en there's no one here in flesh to listen to my rantings (except the dog) I choose you all to suffer listening reading my rants. But, of course it's not forced on to anyone, you can choose to read or not read what I have to say, your choice. But, if it makes anyone feel any better, it's surely doing me a world of good and the dog.

Cartaphilus":7qxdgsm7 said:
eklektos44":7qxdgsm7 said:
I think you could view this two ways. If you believe in God then He has it under control, so all you're really doing is arguing with Him that He doesn't know what He's doing. If you don't believe in God all you're doing is shaking your fist at the universe.  Either way you're accomplishing nothing but spending your life PO'd. I don't want to live my life continually angry, disappointed, ect. I prefer to concentrate on my family and community. That's where you really have an impact in the first place. I gave up worrying about the cares of the world ages ago. You ain't gonna change it except around you. All you're going to do is waste the precious little time you have here being frustrated. :)
I'll agree with you to a point that yes God knows what he's doing. But, he has no control or should I say he will not control people in a way to make them do what they should because he has give ALL of us free will and hoped we'd see his way and do what's right. The remainder of us that wish not to do these things are sadly doomed to the nether regions.
I admit, I'm letting off a little steam and see'en there's no one here in flesh to listen to my rantings (except the dog) I choose you all to suffer listening reading my rants. But, of course it's not forced on to anyone, you can choose to read or not read what I have to say, your choice. But, if it makes anyone feel any better, it's surely doing me a world of good and the dog.
I'm a compatibilist, and reformed, so I'd disagree.

eklektos44":knyd0stp said:
Cartaphilus":knyd0stp said:
eklektos44":knyd0stp said:
I'm a compatibilist, and reformed, so I'd disagree.
So, What your saying God wants us all to sin, commit murder, rape, make everyone around us suffer our actions, etc. etc. and good to hell? Doesn't sound like the guy I know. :suspect:

I'm saying God is in control, or he isn't God. Our choices are not random, they are conditioned. By who we are, what our desires are, ect. I think we make choices within the parameters of our nature. Either that or you're left with a lot of pain, suffering, death, ect. to no purpose at all. I don't subscribe to the view of a helpless God. We choose what we choose out of our own nature, but all our choices serve God's purposes.

eklektos44":8g4dseye said:
I'm saying God is in control, or he isn't God. Our choices are not random, they are conditioned. By who we are, what our desires are, ect. I think we make choices within the parameters of our nature. Either that or you're left with a lot of pain, suffering, death, ect. to no purpose at all. I don't subscribe to the view of a helpless God. We choose what we choose out of our own nature, but all our choices serve God's purposes.
I'm sorry, I can't agree with that. God is not helpless but, lets us do what we wish. He could control if he wished but, he doesn't want a world of puppets either, we wants us to obey him and do what's right on our own. I see no gain or purpose for him or anyone from the slaughtering of men, women and children or any of the numerous evils that go on in our society.

We'll have to disagree. I don't see this pain and suffering as pointless. God doesn't have to make us do evil, He restrains us. If left to our own devices the world would be worse than it is. If I want to know why the world sucks all I have to do is look in a mirror. So I don't find your view compelling. The only non-contigent will is God's.

eklektos44":b4fkdv80 said:
We'll have to disagree. I don't see this pain and suffering as pointless. God doesn't have to make us do evil, He restrains us. If left to our own devices the world would be worse than it is. If I want to know why the world sucks all I have to do is look in a mirror. So I don't find your view compelling. The only non-contigent will is God's.
Again, I disagree and I can see that this will go on and on and on so I'll just cut it short at this.
We all have our own opinions.

DireWolf":pa5a27ke said:
Lot's of people seem awfully sure about what "God" wants.  :lol!:
I trust that He knows what He's doing. But He didn't call me to inform me. So I don't get to worried about it. I look to my own behavior, as others should to theirs. That doesn't mean they're not accountable, only that it's not within my power to control it. At best I could guide if they so desired. I'm not God.