New albums in the works

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For anyone interested, after completing the last epic project earlier this year I've been hard at work in the studio. In fact I'm working on 3 new album projects right now-

An all-instrumental electric Surf album. 21 tunes.

An acoustic album. 15 tunes.

A "misc" electric album. Styles run the gamut here, from hard rock to country rock. 7 tunes so far.

All are significantly in process, with the Surf album being in front. Hope to have this one done and dusted by Labor day, at least as far as the tracking is concerned.

And as always, I'll be making a certain number of copies available gratis here on BoB.

Updates as they become relevant.

:sunny:

www.randereed.com

Cheers,

RR

congrats - i thought you were just a head brewer out west. Damn!

ill check out the site more tomorrow - been a long day and headed to bed - have to get the dog out. wake early - pot of coffee and a couple few bowls early am.

then will check out the stuff as the day settles in.

That is cool news. I really enjoy Bobby Dancer and the Down Beats. I listen to it at work quite often. It must be fun juggeling three at once. Good luck with them all.

Congratulations, I can't imagine the skill required to play music, let alone make an album.

I'm very interested in the surf album, I love that style of music.

Hey Rande:

Surf instrumentals...can't wait!

newjok10.png

I'll sign on as extremely interested.

I'd like to hear the Accoustic one, onna count of all I have to try to copy your tunes is an Accoustic.  Lol

I was clicking around on your page.
The Quest was pretty interesting and I liked Anthem as well.

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement amigos. Happy to hear my tunes tickled your fancies!

I plan on updating my website, and will be offering free downloads of all 5 previous albums. I'll keep y'all apprised when this has been completed.

I also have another acoustic album that I never officially released due to issues with the final mix. I completed this one back around '09/'10, so it bridges the gap between "Sands Of Time" which was '06/'07 and "Reflections and Fantasies" which was more like '10/'14.

The final mix of this one - entitled "The Wind and the Cradle" never did meet my standards despite several re-mixes. It became apparent to me that the studio I was working out of wasn't able to deal with the technical issues.

I'm happy to report that my present studio is more than capable of dealing with these issues. So I have this project in their hands, and in due course will be doing a complete re-mix on this one for future release - provided we can get my external HD from the old studio to talk to the different one at my present studio.

My engineer seems to feel confident we can do this, provided my external drive hasn't been corrupted, or some other technical issue rears it's ugly head. Time will tell, but he's on the case and is very competent.

That project has a lot of very cool tunes, and I'd like to present it in the manner I originally intended. So as they say, watch this space!

:bounce:

Cheers,

RR

what software are they using to mix and record etc? on macs? or windblows?

also it is wise to have redundant backups on 2 external hd's and always of the masters and tracks - in DP they have all of that saved as standard protocol.

Good Luck my fiend!!!! Nice stuff.

oldmansmokingpipe":p2oimbzv said:
what software are they using to mix and record etc?  on macs? or windblows?

also it is wise to have redundant backups on 2 external hd's and always of the masters and tracks - in DP they have all of that saved as standard protocol.

Good Luck my fiend!!!!  Nice stuff.
My present studio uses Pro Tools on a mac. The scsi drive from my old studio used an older Mackie. So there's issues with them talking to each other. Apparently all that's needed is a specific wiring harness and a software program.

And thanks for the kind words.

Cheers,

RR

Vito":4crscu64 said:
Hey Rande:

Surf instrumentals...can't wait!

newjok10.png
Thanks Veet.

I came up in the mid-60's and cut my teeth on surf stuff. Ventures, The Shadows, Dick Dale, etc. So that's part and parcel of my earlier influences and still love that music.

The inspiration for this album was the Atlantics "Flight of the Surf Guitar". If you haven't heard it you should get it in. Great stuff!

If I can do justice to this it should be in the same vein.

:sunny:

Cheers,

RR

Had a marathon recording session today.

The drummer came in and cut 30 tunes in 8 hrs and that included at least 2 good takes on each tune, plus additional sections on certain segments. And some of these were him playing balls-out where necessary!

Got everything we needed for the surf project, the acoustic project, and the misc electric project. All in all a very productive day.

This guy is like an endurance athlete. He came fully prepared and delivered in spades. I'm very pleased. Major step forward!

What a great day, but I'm burned out even though I didn't do more than sit and listen in most cases!

:bom:

Cheers,

RR

Gees BD! sounds like you been very busy of late really enjoy'en yourself.
3 albums even, remember to take a breath ever so often. ;)

Cripes Rande, you're at it again! Fair play, if I had a talent like yours I'd have very sore fingers.

Some of the Brothers will be aware of Rande's latest release, Bobby Dancer and Downbeats. I've been listening to this box set whilst commuting to my new place of work. Credit where credit's due, as I think Rande intended the collection takes you on a great 'spoof' journey that is absorbing, very enjoyable listening and at times had me chuckling.

Yup, the dude's sure got talent.

Very kind of you mates.

I do this for my own enjoyment first and foremost, and if one can find some enjoyment in it as well........... then that's an added bonus.

None of this is for sale, I honestly don't make a dime from any of it. It's just something I need to do as a musician.

FYI, I finished tracking all the guitar on the surf project this past weekend and the drum charts were cut yesterday on all 3 projects. The percussionist is a machine, and completed all 30 tracks in 8 hrs. And some of them were very aggressive. He played his ass off!

Today I cut all the remaining final vocals for the acoustic and misc electric projects. Might have to add some harmony vocals for those, but we'll see how that plays out when we get the other musicians on there.

So, the priority is getting the surf album finished up first and my studio engineer will be adding the bass charts in the next week. And then we'll go into mixdown. So this one will be finished up first.

He'll then go on to add bass to the acoustic and misc projects. After which I'll get the supporting musicians involved. So there's plenty to work on. Some really great tuneage on the way. I'll keep y'all posted on developments.

And my webmaster will have all previous albums up soon for free downloading.

This has been a very intense couple of days, and I'm about burned out right now!

:!:

Cheers,

RR

Just received word from my webmaster that all albums are now available for free download, iffen you're interested. You'll see the link at the bottom of each album-

www.randereed.com

Cheers,

RR

Mini update-

Did the photo shoot for the surf album yesterday. Now in the hands of the photoshopmaster. All tracks for this complete, and just received some rough mixes of the tunes with all bass tracks added. Some of them have 2-3 different approaches to the bass charts, so I can decide which one to go with. Once that's complete we'll go into final mixdown.

Also received rough mixes of the bass tracks on the misc electric project to critique. Once that's done, the other musicians will get involved. Still need to complete the bass tracks on the acoustic album.

My studio engineer is a bass guy primarily, so he's cutting all those tracks like he did on the Bobby Dancer project. Yes, I could record them myself since I came up playing bass before getting into 6-str.

And while I have cut some of the bass tracks on my tunes, I've found it worthwhile to get someone else's perspective - provided it's someone you work well with. Otherwise you end up sounding too much like your other tracks. Fortunately, this guy is well dialed into my music and always come up with a better statement than I could.

So I'm kind of in a holding pattern right now until we can get to the final mixes on the surf stuff, which will be soon. And I have to finalise the photo stuff for the jewel case/booklet. Hope to have this all ready for release in another month or so if all goes to plan (and it never does!).

Misc electric tunes need other musician's contributions, as does the acoustic album. Yet I find myself done with my guitar tracking for all these. Just need to add some harmony vocals here and there, but will await that task until the other tracks are on.

Hmmm, maybe I'd better get creative and compose some new material. It feels strange to not be working towards some goal on the guitar.

:scratch:

Cheers,

RR

Great job Rande.

Move aside Beach Boys, Rande's cutting an album! Jeeze, I wish I had a 100th of your talent.

D.

Stick":suwtvt7v said:
Great job Rande.  

Move aside Beach Boys, Rande's cutting an album!  Jeeze, I wish I had a 100th of your talent.

D.
You're too kind with your evaluation mate. I'm just a bloke who plays a guitar.

So, I've approved the proofs of the bass tracks on the surf project. And I've scheduled some session dates to do the final mixes later this next month. Hopefully this will take place over 3 days max, but there's a lot to be done based on my preview of the roughs.

No issues with the drums or the bass charts. Rather it's my sloppy playing that has to be addressed!

This kind of stuff has to be perfect, as it's not hidden by anything. All notes have to be clear as a bell, with the proper tone. If you haven't played this kind of stuff before I encourage you to try. No pedals. Nothing but you plugged straight in with the exception of reverb.

I came up in this style/discipline, or whatever you might want to call it. And I'm very clear on what has to be done. And I won't accept anything less than perfect. To revisit this is both exciting and challenging!

Cheers,

RR