New albums in the works

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a quick update to tell you that I am really enjoying the 2 surfs up albums ... great stuff to work to!

Just a quick update to say-

I met with the engineer today at a session and requested that the last mixes be completed by the end of the month. There's only 6 or 7 left so that should be do-able. He feels he can accomplish this.

My motivation is this - money for discretionary expenditures will soon be getting tight and I want to complete this before it potentially becomes an obstacle. No, I won't go into details right now, but I will say that it would be a great pity not to bring this to fruition after all the work thus far.

So, going forward it will still need to go through mastering and production. All to say that I hope to have this ready for distribution by the end of the year.

Cheers,

RR

Stick":j4izwddp said:
Makes sense Rande.  Any more mando in this one?
Apologies mate, I didn't see your query until just now.

Mando. Aye, there are a few that feature it - the one I posted the mp3 of, and perhaps one or two others.

Now closing in on having the final mixes completed. I've decided to delete several tunes I felt were not strong enough for inclusion, so that has sped up the process. Still, it should be some 25 tunes.

Just some fussy stuff left - need to call back in the fiddle guy for him to contribute live violin on the synth string quartet arrangements. That will help give it the feel of a live ensemble.

Plus my engineer/bassist wants to re-cut his string bass on one tune. And he offered to do that on his own dime since I already signed off on the previous track. So that won't take long.

All to say that I hope to have this in mastering within a few weeks. So we're approaching the finish line!

8)

Cheers,

RR

Thistleoak":pk990skt said:
And where can a weary brother purchase said album
Nowhere, is the short answer Alex as they are not for sale.

All my albums are available gratis, and I will be posting an offer to get this either from the CD or downloads from my website. All my previous works are available here-

www.randereed.com.

Cheers,

RR

Download started.... and no EFFING way you are as old as you say you are , went to the link and it is the first time I remember seeing a pic of you.... what is in that beer you are brewing !!!! Does it contain water from the fountain of youth?

Thistleoak":7p0qr9lh said:
Download started.... and no EFFING way you are as old as you say you are , went to the link and it is the first time I remember seeing a pic of you.... what is in that beer you are brewing !!!! Does it contain water from the fountain of youth?
Music. The fountain of youth!

:sunny:

Cheers,

RR

Not to worry gents, as of yesterday he's back in the saddle and beavering away on my material again.

Nowt far to go now on the final mixes. Need to get the fiddle guy back in for 2 tunes, which are easy enough for him to sight read. Plus an Oboist for one of those. And one other one needs final mixing now that the string bass has been re-cut. So we're getting close to the goal line!

:bom:

Cheers,

RR

Aw snap. Now the fiddle guy isn't available until after the holidays, so his charts will delay the completion of this album. Actually I expected something like this, as working musicians are normally booked solid this time of year.

Oh well, there's no real deadline on this project. Just my enthusiasm to get 'er done. Guess a few weeks more won't really matter at this point.

I have a whole bunch of new material to work on, but want to wait until this project is complete before beginning a new adventure. In the meantime I'll continue to compose as the spirit moves me. I figure if I'm not writing I'm stagnating.

Cheers,

RR

Wrote another little ditty yesterday.

I was just laying down for a Sunday afternoon nap, and somewhere in the twilight between wakefulness and sleep I "heard" this tune playing. Just as plain as if it was on the radio. And of course I'd never heard it before, but there it was. And the thing was, it was like in a loop mode where it repeated just after it ended.

Somehow in my semi-conscious state of mind I recognized that the music Gods had bestowed another tune upon me. And, that in order to receive this properly, I had to get up immediately and write it down.

I've learned the hard way that if one naively thinks they'll remember this after the completion of slumber, it'll be long gone. Several times in recent memory I've written a song in my sleep, and then got up to get it charted out. And they've been some of my most inspired tunes as well.

The theme and complete lyrics came easily after that, and I completed them that afternoon with a few revisions. It's not often I work like that, as lyrics are usually my short suit. But once I had the subject matter in hand, the words just fell into place.

So OK, what is this one all about? Well, it's a story song. A rather bitter-sweet tale of a young man who falls in love with a fair maiden at a dance. They waltz as the band plays, he falls more into love with her, and she finally reveals that she's already promised to someone else. Yet she accepts one last waltz from him.

So then, the title of this is "One Last Waltz". It's sad, and it's sweet, and very emotional. And in a waltz tempo, with a hillbilly ensemble consisting of acoustic guitar, fiddle, dobro, mandolin, and string bass.

I'll be knocking this one out after the present project is completed. Plus one other Bluegrass number I wrote recently that serves to sum up my situation right now. Very personal and introspective.  Gives me another chance to do fingerpicking. Very fun to play!

These recent compositions will end up being posted on my website rather than being included in my present project as I don't want to delay that. I'll make them available gratis, just as all my other works presently are.

As I said earlier, if I'm not composing, I'm stagnating!

Cheers,

RR

Update-

The fiddle guy contributed his final tracks on the 2 remaining tunes, and had an English Horn musician come in for one of them (think oboe with alto sensibilities kind of tone).

All to say that I'll be critiquing the final mixes this week. After that it's off to mastering and duplication. So we're very close to the finish line.

Cheers,

RR

Just came from a session where I approved the final 2 mixes on this project. Very impressed with the orchestration my engineer added on these. And having the fiddle guy play the 1st violin charts on them made the ensemble sound like a live 4-piece string section. So what comes next is this-

Both myself and the engineer will critique the entire project front to back, with a view to flow and any other things we might have missed. That will take a week or so. After that it's off to mastering and duplication.

All to say, I hope to have this available in a month or so if everything goes to plan. I can't wait to share it for those who are interested. I believe these are some of my best works.

Cheers,

RR

Happy day!

Just approved all the final mixes, so this will now be submitted to mastering. Hopefully that will be completed in the next week or so and then we can go to duplication. All to say it'll still be about a month before I'm ready for distribution, but the goal line is finally in sight!

I'm pretty jazzed about this and can't wait to share it. There's some great tunes on there if I do say so myself. I will make CD copies available gratis here on BoB as before, and free downloads from my website for those who don't do the CD thing.

And if you're wondering why I don't charge for my projects, well let's just say that's a long story for over a pint! In any case I just like to share my music, regardless of the cost to me.

:tongue:

Cheers,

RR

The masters were approved today after a few small tweaks were executed. I also submitted the final copy for the CD jacket and track times to the graphics guy. So both he and the mastering engineer will now upload everything to the project at the CD duplication service. I should have this finalized and ordered in the next day or so.

In the meantime I've also asked both to send the files to my webmaster for inclusion on my website.

I'll keep everyone apprised of the progress and when free downloads are available (soon) and when I can send out CD's (2+ week lead time for manufacturing, plus shipping).

Pretty jazzed about the master mixes!

Cheers,

RR