New Altinok Calabash

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikem

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I have been wanting to get a Calabash for a long time just to try one out and see how they smoke. Our own Grant Gipper had a large Altinok Mahogany Calabash on Ebay and I was lucky enough to win it at an excellent price. Several things surprised me that I was not expecting. It is a large pipe that fits great in the hand and not that uncomfortable to clinch for such a large pipe. I am kind of surprised (not complaining) that for such a large meerschaum bowl they do not hold that much tobacco compared to a pipe of similar size. About two pinches is it. The other thing that really surprised me is what a cool dry smoke it is. I have heard others talk about this but it just never clicked until trying mine out. I'm really enjoying this pipe. Thanks for such a great deal Grant, not to mention the fast shipment.

I don't have a calabash but have been looking at them lately. Glad you're enjoying the new acquisition. Let's see some pics!

Congratulations Mike! I have always kind of wanted one but just never pulled the trigger. Your description just might make me to it!

Congrats! I've been curious about gourd meers for a long time, the mohagany ones look nice too.

What a small world after all!I believe I am the original owner of that pipe which
I traded to Grant a few months ago.Here's the history of it..........
About 5 years ago Sinan Altinok came to the Chicago Pipe Show,I asked him to
bring it for me so I could save on the shipping.I paid $105 for it I believe.Sinan is
a great guy and I enjoyed B.S.ing with him at the show.I smoked it quite a bit the
first 6 months I owned it,then it ended up not being used much except for any time
I had a real tongue biter tobacco which that style pipe will tame.
You can tell if it's my old baby from a tooth scratch on the right side of the button
which all my pipes have from a capped eyetooth.I sanded the bowl down to bare
meerschaum before I traded it to Grant.I used to swish some Bee's cleaner around
in the bottom of the bowl once in awhile to clean it.
Now you can get a new one just like it for $69 from Bestmeerschaums or get a
Baki true gourd with real block meer carved bowl for $195.Someday maybe a Baki
Gourd may be mine,but I just got a Radice briar Captain Warren for Xmas.It's a bitch
how small those bowls are,they should be twice that big.....you just get in the zone
and it's all over with. :x

Winslow :sunny:

I have a couple calabashes. I think every serious pipe smoker should have one at some point. The smoke from them is always top notch and there is just something about retiring to the study to smoke a calabash that is priceless.

Also there are a lot of gourds on the estate market. The prices vary widely but there are some true steals out there.

I remember hearing from an old timer that English blends are exceptional in the
gourd Calabash,he was of the opinion that only that style of pipe brought out all
the subtle nuances of glorious Latakia blends that his fancy horn shapes failed to deliver.

WalnutTastesGood-1.jpg

Winslow :bounce:

I have an old Kwoodie gourd calibash from the 50s it smokes grate aswell except the bowl is cracked on the side i ended up super glueing the peace back on its dosent afect anything ecept it astheticly and i was curous if any one knows were to get a new bowl made for it.
:pipe:

At the Chicago Pipe Show last year there was a guy who had a cardboard box
with at least 30-40 used bowl inserts.I guess for 5-10$ one could be had.I'll be attending again this year,when it gets around the last week of April remind me
and I'll get one for you.

Winslow :sunny:

piperguckert":ljcus3i1 said:
I have an old Kwoodie gourd calibash from the 50s it smokes grate aswell except the bowl is cracked on the side i ended up super glueing the peace back on its dosent afect anything ecept it astheticly and i was curous if any one knows were to get a new bowl made for it.
:pipe:
You can also get them at Pipe Makers Emporium here: http://www.pipemakers.org/misc_products02.htm