New Backpacks

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eklektos44

Reaction score
Our old backpacks were kinda heavy and getting worn so we opted to replace them. I was debating whether to get an ultralight pack, but durability was a concern. Then we saw these Kelty's on sale and I was sold. Can't wait to try these out.

WUDIqn.jpg

2VrWKY.jpg

Also the new sleeping pads arrived. Which is good because Uta always wants to drag a pillow...

nM9GvN.jpg

So the only major items left to replace are our sleeping bags. We're going to upgrade to down filled bags this fall. 8)

puros_bran":2g1stoih said:
What's the old ones look like?  

Hopefully you ebayed them.
One is an old external frame backpack, which we'll probably yard sale. The other is a 110L which we'll probably keep and use for the winter when we have to haul more stuff.

This is the external frame:

Kh2dn1.jpg

and this is the 110L internal frame:

PNR1RP.jpg

As you may have guessed I carry most of the heavier stuff. My trail name should be "Pack Mule". :lol:

Here's a picture of me hauling this on one of our trips.

kKXybf.jpg

That was also on a trip to Hoops Hole. The climb up the iron ore trail is...invigorating. :roll:

Interesting.. And looks like quite the upgrade.

I went and checked out Kelty. I didn't know they existed. Some nice stuff there but almost everything I clicked on was out of stock.

I'd stick it on ebay.. More hassle but more money.

I don't know why I didn't think of ebags.. Lol. But I wasn't digging that deep. I bought my Timbuk2 from them and have gotten 47 emails a day every since.

Ok, finally getting around to doing an update on these. These are great packs. Not the lightest but very durable. The Coyote is plenty large and hauls all our gear with having to strap anything to the outside. The Red Wing is just the right size for Uta and not too heavy. Both are highly adjustable and fit very comfortably. Well worth the price we bought them at!

Kelty has been around for as long as I've been packing...that's 50 years at least. I took a Kelty pack for a couple of 50 mile jaunts on the Pacific Crest Trail near MT. Jefferson one year and the Three Sisters the next. I STILL have the pack!

I am using a 7 yr old Kelty external frame now. It is OK. I have two day packs by Osprey. Great designs and my next 5 day pack will be their AG...anti gravity pack. Check em out.

Wow! Those AG packs are sweet. Checked 'em out on REI's site. Last time I was there I picked up a new pair of HOKA shoes. I better not go back. I'm a sucker for cool gear.

Must

Resist

New

Pack

If you do (or can't resist) go in, get it fitted by the shop. We all think we need a larger frame than is right. I took a medium instead of a large. I got fitted but am waiting or a sale or to win the lottery. :D

loneredtree":fbytg6e2 said:
I  am using a 7 yr old Kelty external frame now. It is OK. I have two day packs by Osprey. Great designs and my next 5 day pack will be their AG...anti gravity pack. Check em out.
Kelty still sells external frame packs. Saw one for sale at Mt. Rogers Outfitters in Damascus this weekend. Some people just prefer them. If you plan on sticking a bunch of stuff externally on your pack they're a good option.

Count me among the external frame holdouts. Summers around the Great Lakes are extremely humid. I appreciate the extra ventilation.

That is a good point George. These packs have a rain cover that you deploy. We got caught in a hail storm this summer and the pack was very saturated. Fortunately, it was a short storm and the contents were dry.

loneredtree":z4lq6xpe said:
That is a good point George. These packs have a rain cover that you deploy. We got caught in a hail storm this summer and the pack was very saturated. Fortunately, it was a short storm and the contents were dry.
There's a raincover available for the Kelty's also. I keep my raingear and the cover in the top compartment where they're handy at a moments notice. The Osprey's have a nice suspension system, similar to what my Son has on his packs, but he humps 100+ pounds. I'm not a big fan of the lifters in rocky terrain as I prefer to keep the weight up tight to my center of gravity. Also the Osprey's are small, which is great if you're going ultra light, but if you're doing a heavier pack out space will become an issue.

Gotta hand it to you John, your backpacking adventures resonate. I once fancied myself as a backpacker when I was about age 28. But an ill planned expedition into the Canadian wilderness while on vacation to Banff/Jasper National Parks disabused me of such lofty ideals! I'll leave it there...

Sadly I'm far beyond considering this anymore. Yet I salute you in taking up the quest and making a meal of it. You're not that far behind me in terms of age, but it seems you've kept up far better than I have.

Rock on brother......

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":mf24aiam said:
Gotta hand it to you John, your backpacking adventures resonate. I once fancied myself as a backpacker when I was about age 28. But an ill planned expedition into the Canadian wilderness while on vacation to Banff/Jasper National Parks disabused me of such lofty ideals! I'll leave it there...

Sadly I'm far beyond considering this anymore. Yet I salute you in taking up the quest and making a meal of it. You're not that far behind me in terms of age, but it seems you've kept up far better than I have.

Rock on brother......

Cheers,

RR
Thanks Rande. Doesn't look like there'll be any adventures this weekend. Rain. :(