New Bill Seeks to Dramatically Increase Federal Taxes on Tobacco Products

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once again, a group wishes to fund a program by taxing a resource they are trying to eliminate!!! Makes perfect sense to me...not!!!!!!!!! FTRPLT

I can’t believe tax parity and a mail order ban didn’t happen years ago. I’ve been saying this for years, 99% of “pipe tobacco” sold is RYO cigarette tobacco relabeled to avoid taxes. Did anyone think Big Tobacco was going to let this happen? :geek:

• Pipe Tobacco: From $2.8311 cents to $49.56
    I’ve been saying this for years, 99% of “pipe tobacco” sold is RYO cigarette tobacco relabeled to avoid taxes.
    You mean that $9.99 lb. shag? LOL I really wish there were a way to distinguish pipe tobacco from cheap RYO cigarette tobacco labeled as pipe tobacco. I do think there are many pipe smokers who do use RYO tobacco in their pipes and some pipe smokers who roll a few cigarettes from their prime pipe tobacco.

Last edited:
Once again, a group wishes to fund a program by taxing a resource they are trying to eliminate!!! Makes perfect sense to me...not!!!!!!!!!
I tend to think that somewhere in a backroom, one congressman is saying to another, "If we kill the tobacco industry, how will we replace the sales and excise tax on tobacco that we currently are getting that pays our salaries and per diem?"

Not to get political, but these proposed tax hikes are offensive and excessive. What a shame. Let’s hope that a large enough group of members in the house and senate object

Not to get political, but these proposed tax hikes are offensive and excessive. What a shame. Let’s hope that a large enough group of members in the house and senate object
From $2.8311 cents to $49.56. Someone help me. The % increase is too high for me to calculate.

For many years, it was risky business to import Cuban cigars. I haven't heard of much impounding in the past few years. I wonder if that will be the case with the importation of pipe tobacco. I've occasionally purchased pipe tobacco (Elephant Dung) from Synjeco in Switzerland and never had a problem with an impounded shipment. Fortunately, for me, at this age, I probably already have a lifetime supply of pipe tobacco.