New Blackhorse Nordic Knife

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
OK - NO machines used in the production of this one.  It was ALL done with hand tools...kind of a New Year's Self Challenge.  Gave me a good chance to play with my new English Hand Drill to drill the bolster.  Good item.

The blade on this one is really interesting.  It's like the old JR's ad thing where someone discovers old but perfectly maintained crates of cigars under a tarp in the back or an old warehouse.  I'm sure you know the drill.  Same here.  The blade is hand forged carbon steel blades from 1930's made by Kustaa Lammi (1901- 2001).  The guy is a legend in Nordic knifemaking and his family found a cache of blades, all finished, in one of his workshops.  Nice.  So now they're being sold off.  Obtained out of Finland, they're about fifty bucks a pop, depending on size.

The handle is mainly copper and Blue Stabilized Masir Birch with the front spacers being Morta and Jade Green Poly with a rear cap of Desert Ironwood Burl.

The final buffing on this was not done with a wheel.  I took a Fabuluster cloth and hit it like a shoeshine boy.  The Fabuluster cloth is impregnated with Red Rouge on one side with a soft poly buff on the other.  First you use the Red side, then buff it like crazy with the other.  After eleventeen grades of other abrasives it works pretty well and instead of the mirror finish of a wheel and white diamond compound you get a soft glow...one that you can easily maintain.  So that's cool.  

I have to say that I wa very impressed with the Birch.  The grain patterns are nothing short of stellar, perhaps the best I've ever seen.  And the contour I carved on the handle fits the hand to perfection.  Overall, I like this one very much.

And of course, it's as sharp as a razor.

Lammy2_zpsa9cf1275.jpg

Lammy1_zpsf101875a.jpg

Lammy3_zps950f4626.jpg

That is AWESOME!!!!!
You have really outdone yourself on this one. :cherry: 

When fine materials come together with a masterful craftsman wonderful things are bound to happen. Fantastic looking knife BH.

ps. I also love the fact that the work was done without power tools.

It's kind of funny in a way. You guys see a finished product and, I think, mostly are struck by the gestalt of the thing. It looks good. The wood is awesome. The purple-blue works nicely against the gleam of the copper. The blade is crisp and its own work of art...after a lifetime of perfecting his craft (the guy was 70 when he made this one). It's unique. But me? I see the little nick here or there, the near invisible scratch I didn't quite buff out, the place where the arc in the handle is just a little more flat than I had really wanted. Easily half a dozen things I know could have been better. So again your positive comments have talked me back off the ledge. lol

One thing...if I picked this up, never having seen it, I'd know it was hand done. There are three or four attributes that shout "by hand" at me. Thank goodness they are things that are important to me...that I want there. So that's good.

And of course there's the vastly important aspect of knowing when to stand back and say, "Enough." Using a classic line from a favorite movie..."That'll do, Pig."

Nice work BH. That's an amazing looking piece of birch.

The fact that it is hand finished makes this knife all the more exciting to someone such as myself, I am very pleased to see you doing work like this, although to your well trained perspective this may be obvious as a hand finished blade, to the layman not so obvious, breath taking work BH, damn proud of you Buddy, BRAVO.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: 

Awesome! Beautiful! Love it!
I gotta learn how to make knives one of these days. It would be a nice change-up from "all things round" off the lathe. Pens, pepper mills, bowls, bottle stoppers, etc., all round. Even pipes (to a point). Very nice. My hat's off to you.

Lesath":ym8f4mlw said:
Blackhorse":ym8f4mlw said:
But me?  I see the little nick here or there, the near invisible scratch I didn't quite buff out, the place where the arc in the handle is just a little more flat than I had really wanted. Easily half a dozen things I know could have been better.
Simply "beauty marks."
Indeed!

With power tools or not you always work magic melding wood and steel. The stain colors and copper really set it off. Just beautiful BH. How long you think it took?

Your work, takes ones breath away as always and this just proves you are a MASTER CRAFTSMAN! Words really don't do it justice. 'Nuff said. I'm gonna go back and keep lookin' at the pics  :p :p