New C&D blends out

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just in from sp.com -

003-016-0328.jpg

Cornell & Diehl - Bluegrass: A steady rhythm of bright and red Virginias is joined by an accompaniment of robust Perique and dark fired Kentucky, making for a spicy little diddy sure to keep you on your toes.

003-016-0329.jpg

Cornell & Diehl - Blue Ridge: A bedrock of stoved red Virginias combines with a hearty helping of black Cavendish, Turkish leaf, and Louisiana Perique for a smoking experience every bit as rich and complex as old Shenandoah.

003-016-0332.jpg

Cornell & Diehl - Stovepipe: A trail of bright and red Virginias winds its way upwards, ascending to a summit of Perique, dark Burley leaf, and black Cavendish. Lightly topped with flavors of cocoa, caramel, and vanilla, it makes for a sublime, exhilarating smoke.

003-016-0331.jpg

Cornell & Diehl - String Duster: A duet of red and bright Virginias take the lead, followed by the lively harmony of Turkish leaf and the lightest notes of rum and maple, making for a sweet tune you'll want to play time and time again.

003-016-0330.jpg

Cornell & Diehl - White Lightning: A concentrated mixture of red and bright Virginias is combined with a good measure of Perique, and spiked with a bit of applejack, followed by the flavors of raspberry and vanilla for an electrifying smoking experience.

Of these, Bluegrass and Blue Ridge interest me since I'm pretty much a VaPer guy. And even though I'm not normally drawn to aros I gotta admit that String Duster might have some appeal. Rum and Maple might be a great combo if they aren't goopy and overdone, and C&D can do that if anyone can.

So........not ready to jump on any of these just yet. Hopefully Jim, Bobby, or any one of our trusted reviewers can give us the skinny.

I hasten to add I have no affiliation with either C&D or sp.com. Just an interested piper.  :rabbit:

Cheers,

RR

H'mm, the Bluegrass looks interesting. I wonder how fine a ribbon-cut it is? (hopefully not very thin-cut)

I am amazed that C&D and others are still putting out new blends with the axe getting ready to fall.

Fight'n Hampsters":ges7rq7p said:
I am amazed that C&D and others are still putting out new blends with the axe getting ready to fall.
Having all these new variations is one way to get us to buy more in total, especially those variations with any tobaccos they have a stock of they might not need for those older blends they would still be producing for a while if the axe does fall. Or am I being too cynical?

Brewdude":vi1gcb2t said:
Of these, Bluegrass and Blue Ridge interest me since I'm pretty much a VaPer guy.

RR
...and if aros float your boat, that Stovepipe looks worth a sniff Rande, eh?

DrT999":rwh5oygz said:
Having all these new variations is one way to get us to buy more in total, especially those variations with any tobaccos they have a stock of they might not need for those older blends they would still be producing for a while if the axe does fall.  Or am I being too cynical?
Nope. They have already paid their state and TTB taxes up front. If they don't get rid of it, it will do them no good rotting on a shelf. Recoup the pre-paid tax money I guess......

DrT999":m442y188 said:
Fight'n Hampsters":m442y188 said:
Having all these new variations is one way to get us to buy more in total, especially those variations with any tobaccos they have a stock of they might not need for those older blends they would still be producing for a while if the axe does fall.  Or am I being too cynical?
Not at all DrT, in fact I believe you're spot on here.

Stick":m442y188 said:
...and if aros float your boat, that Stovepipe looks worth a sniff Rande, eh?
Mate, not for me. That combo seems a bit much for my tastes. Equally it could be discreetly applied and just fine. More for others though.

Cheers,

RR

Anyone else see or hear about the "Star of the East Gold"

"Beginning with stoved bright Virginias, followed by equal measures of Cyprian Latakia and red Virginias for a bit of body, Star of the East Gold then incorporates a fair amount of Turkish leaf, resulting in a sweet, floral English mixture."

Brand Cornell & Diehl
Manufactured By Cornell & Diehl
Blend Type English
Contents Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Flavoring Vanilla, Whisky
Cut Ribbon
Packaging 2oz tin, 8oz tin, Bulk
Country US
Production Currently available

DoverPipes":3rwcvia5 said:
Anyone else see or hear about the "Star of the East Gold"

"Beginning with stoved bright Virginias, followed by equal measures of Cyprian Latakia and red Virginias for a bit of body, Star of the East Gold then incorporates a fair amount of Turkish leaf, resulting in a sweet, floral English mixture."

Brand Cornell & Diehl
Manufactured By Cornell & Diehl
Blend Type English
Contents Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Flavoring Vanilla, Whisky
Cut Ribbon
Packaging 2oz tin, 8oz tin, Bulk
Country US
Production Currently available
I got a small sample of it, and will try it soon.

A couple of these are really tempting, especially Bluegrass and Blue Ridge. However, a few blends aside that I really had to try, I am making a concerted effort to stay away from anything that could potentially get caught in the teeth of the FDA buzzsaw. I did stock up on McClelland's 40th Anniversary, but I don't want to discover anymore amazing tobaccos.

A lot of pipers are stocking up on blends that are past the FDA's cutoff date. I am doing something a little different in buying more of my favorite pre-cutoff blends with the idea in mind that they will never be cheaper than they are now. I would imagine that with the regulations slashing our selection, we will also see some evil price increases, added fees and taxes slapped on the stuff that we can still get. :evil:

DoverPipes":u718q11g said:
DrT999":u718q11g said:
Nope. They have already paid their state and TTB taxes up front. If they don't get rid of it, it will do them no good rotting on a shelf. Recoup the pre-paid tax money I guess......
Makes sense. Use it while you can...