New Castello

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ps, for that kind of money I could buy another half a horse, lol.
I wouldn't be surprised if you posted an ad in the local paper: "Have $5800 to spend on a horse. Please text me at:" Your phone would be sending text signals non-stop.

I wouldn't be surprised if you posted an ad in the local paper: "Have $5800 to spend on a horse. Please text me at:" Your phone would be sending text signals non-stop.
Probably true, however, very few of them would be worth buying. A really good trail horse around here runs from 6K up to 20K or more. I paid 15K for Cochise and he is worth every penny. There is a beautiful Tennessee walker available in San Tan valley for 8K but keeping two horses right now is out of the question. However, if I win the powerball lottery to night, I will buy the Fresian in Cali for $35K, lol.

A really good trail horse around here runs from 6K up to 20K or more. I paid 15K for Cochise and he is worth every penny. There is a beautiful Tennessee walker available in San Tan valley for 8K but keeping two horses right now is out of the question. However, if I win the powerball lottery to night, I will buy the Fresian in Cali for $35K, lol.
This is a difficult question to ask. A 25 minute drive from my house is Canterbury Park, the Mpls.-St. Paul horse racing track. Horses that don't win races and have no future as race horses are usually trailered north to Canada to slaughterhouses for meat to be shipped to Japan. How much would one pay for one of those horses for recreational riding? Race horse owners say that there aren't enough buyers for these horses and their only alternative is to sell them for meat.

The pipe linked above on Amazon via Tobaccopipes.com described:

Castello Flame 2020 Tobacco Pipe 11772

Brand: Castello $5800

Pay $322.22/month for 18 months, interest-free upon approval...

I simply cannot imagine paying $322/month for a year and a half for a pipe
That is a ultra high grade briar, uniquely rare pipe. It’s really a beautiful pipe, in addition to being really cool to boot. However, the price is way out of my league. I know there are collectors who spend that kind of money on rare pipes. I think of the prices on some other fine and rare pipes of yesterday, and scratch my head.

On a side note, I have a cousin who rides/shows horses competitively in Maine, and if you know somebody you can get a fine horse starting in the $10-12k range.

On a side note, I have a cousin who rides/shows horses competitively in Maine, and if you know somebody you can get a fine horse starting in the $10-12k range.
These horse threads always take me back to the early 1970s and my first wife, who was a competitive equestrian. I bought her a "retired" race horse we'd been renting and whose owner was either going to sell as a recreational animal or to a Canadian slaughterhouse. Although retired, he was only 6-years-old and the wife was convinced she could train him to hunter/jumper class. The horse liked me, but didn't seem to like the ex. When the ex and I split, she took me for a bundle and left me with the horse. I could not find a buyer, but there was no way he was going to a slaughterhouse. Fortunately, I was able to locate a rural camp that used horses in a habilitation program for children. They took donated horses with this caveat, you were financially and morally responsible for the horse's expenses until he died of old age. I think he lived another 10-12 years. When I remarried in 1977, my new wife called the monthly check I sent, "horse support."The camp was a 501(c)3, so I got a nice annual tax write-off. I'm trying to remember what I paid for him and am pretty sure it was less than $500.

This is a difficult question to ask. A 25 minute drive from my house is Canterbury Park, the Mpls.-St. Paul horse racing track. Horses that don't win races and have no future as race horses are usually trailered north to Canada to slaughterhouses for meat to be shipped to Japan. How much would one pay for one of those horses for recreational riding? Race horse owners say that there aren't enough buyers for these horses and their only alternative is to sell them for meat.
That is also a difficult question to answer. Horses that are raised for racing, usually thorobreds, are not usually good trail horses or good for recreational riding. They tend to be high strung and difficult to control. Not that they can't be retrained but it takes time and patience. Back in the midwest, Nebraska, I had an OTTB, an off the track thorobred. It took me 3 or 4 months of training to make him a decent trail horse. And, around other horses he still wanted to race. You can buy a horse from a kill barn for 2 or 3 hundred but they are usually malnourished and not rideable. There are rescue groups that buy these horses and try to rehome them but we are talking maybe a hundred or so out of several thousand a year. A very sad problem.

I'm glad I already own all the Castellos I'll ever need. They are my favorite since 1963, but at the current prices they're too rich for me.

Last edited:
In case you wondered, my avatar came from a painting by artist Jim Warren from 1974.

wisemanrevisited_1024x.jpg

Last edited:
One of the nice things about the pipe hobby is that you can build a satisfying collection that’s within your budget.

One of the nice things about the pipe hobby is that you can build a satisfying collection that’s within your budget.
I agree. And nowadays, I’ve figured out my taste in pipes. So, I get beaters that smoke well for work, and nicer ones for when I’m not gonna be filthy lol.