New chair!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was a kid I knew a family whose dad built their house…by hand. Bought the property from savings…he said. Dug a daylight basement into the side of his sloping property…with a shovel. Supervised the pouring of the foundation, did the framing, the plumbing, the electrical, the roof, the lathe & plaster (yes, no sheetrock), the cabinets, hung windows & doors…everything. Worked a full time job all the while. Carried his wife across the threshold after five years of hard work and did it debt free. Local parents and neighbors usually gave each other “the look” when the topic turned to his efforts…like he was ‘touched’. That was in the late 50’s. Later, in the 60’s he taught classes somewhere in self building. In the 70’s I hear he published several books on the subject. Meanwhile those local neighbors were still paying on their mortgages. So which side was ‘touched’?

Funny thing happened to me this weekend,I saw this discussion here and started talking to my wife about replacing the chair I have. Initially it was ok. After a couple of years I was never comfortable in it,But she would use it occasionally. As some of you know,I have been having a lot of back problems. I started looking online to compare prices,I was writing everything down on paper,My wife kept asking me what and when I was going to just buy one. I explained to her that I was not happy spending 1500 dollars on a recliner and the subject was dropped. Saturday, I limped home from work and much to my surprise she showed me my new leather Lazyboy recliner waiting for me. It looks exactly like the one that Jevv Purchased.It is extremely well made and will probably outlast me, I will be grateful for many years!

I’m sure somebody else here has to share my passion for the “holy grail”of smoking chairs. What’s yours?
My perfect smoking chair: Sitting on the ground on Fall leaves while leaning back against a tree and watching a doe grazing less than 15' from me. Never did figure out why she didn't get spooked from smelling the burning tobacco. Must have been due to wind direction.

I have a very ugly color (mauve/dusty rose/ dirty pink?) of Lazy Boy recliner that I've had forever. It's in very good shape. I keep a cover over it to prevent the dog from messing it up. After I get my garage set up maybe I'll move it out there. I can't smoke in the house.

Last edited:
It’s really been working out great for me. It’s my new end of the day ritual to go sit and relax with a pipe and read. Money well spent.

Looks like a comfy chair indeed.

Having tools and knowing how to use them certainly saves you a great deal of coin over the years.