New Dunnie report card

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monbla256

Reaction score
Well as I said when it arrived it's time for my "report Card" on my new Dunhill Cumberland grp 4 Pot! I've put 5 bowls of McClelland's Fragrant Matured 2000 through it ( 1 bowl a day since I got it) now and it's getting a two/three day rest before I smoke it again. I'll get back to it's baptismal 'bac later.
First I'll address this pipes price. It ( as are most new Dunhills these days) is FAR MORE than I am able to or will pay for a pipe no matter who makes it. It was OVER $350.00 w/shpg from Italy and that is out of my current price range for ANY pipe today. Just my opinion :p
Next the quality of construction, finish etal of this pipe is EQUAL to ANY high grade I currently own or "Artison" pipes I have recently seen and handled. Stem to bit fit is perfect, blasting is even and consistent over the whole pipe and the stain/finish is PERFECT all over. Dunhill makes some of the FINEST Cumberland/Brindle type of ebonite bits made today in my opinion, and this one is no different. As to bit material, my dentures prefer the softer ebonite/vulcanite material so this fits perfectly with my preferences. The nice wide, thin tapered fishtail bit it has is my fave bit shape and this one is perfect in that regard.
Now to the most important aspect for a pipe, how it smokes! This factor is not one I feel can be accurately assessed in just a short 5 day smoke but some early indicators of the future can be picked up on. ( I personnally feel it takes around 10 years for a pipe to "come into it's own" so to speak) This pipe came with a sort of pre-carbon type of interior coating from what I could tell, and I don't really think these do all that much one way or another in the break-in process. I'm of the "full bowl school" of pipe break-in practitioners and that's what I;ve done with this one so far. I also like how a good St.Red Va starts building cake in a pipe so that is what made me change to some McC's FM 2000 to start this one off with. First bowl was warmer and more moist than in one of my older pipes and I used 3 clnrs during it's first smoke due to there not being any cake yet on the bowl walls. The "draw" was even and smooth and nice and open allowing me to "sip" almost effortlessly. After these 5 bowls, it still is and the exterior of the bowl barely warms up now. I'll probably smoke it every other day for the next month to build some cake, then clean it out and put it in the rack for a month before using on a regular basis. When I do that I will introduce it to it's "bac cousin, Royal Yacht :p
In summary, I'd have to say that Dunhill is STILL making some premier SMOKING instruments as they have been known for but sadly, due to my current and future finances, not any I would be able to purchase new anymore . I am so VERY GRATEFULL to my daughter for this one and will always treasure it :p

Dunhillgrp4CumberlandPot1.jpg

Your pot looks the business, well, it's a Dunnie innit, it's going to be a corker, your daughter did good there, very pleased to know you're enjoying it so much, that's great, it's fantastic when you really 'click' with a pipe, very cool. :)

Nice report, Blabla. :D Indeed, the most important part is how it smokes. It's a shape of Dunnie I like quite a bit.

Is that the Crown Jewel in "La Collecte de Monbla," now?

8)

Kyle Weiss":rga55b52 said:
Nice report, Blabla. :D Indeed, the most important part is how it smokes. It's a shape of Dunnie I like quite a bit.

Is that the Crown Jewel in "La Collecte de Monbla," now?

8)
'Fraid not but time will tell. My "Crown Jewel" is my Charatan Supreme freehand Dublin. I now have 6 Dunhills and all are good pipes but I REALLY like how my 14 Charatans smoke better :p

Very interesting Monbla. It's funny, I've been telling myself that I need to have a solid stable of high grade pipes and a voluminous tobacco cellar (not to mention, another cellar devoted to wine) before I retire and the finances start getting tighter, as they inevitably will for most of us. I consider this my pipe/tobacco/wine retirement account (a "PTWRA Account"). Would love to have 14 Charatans and 6 dunhills in that account when I retire! Good report my friend.

That's a beautiful pipe. I'm chuckling to myself because, earlier this month, my dear dotter asked what I might like for my birthday. I pointed out a gap in the rack and a suggestion what might fill it. She said I already had more than enough pipes, and she'd pick a suitable gift. So she bought me an iPad. Said learning new things is a way tp stave off Alzheimers. Meanwhile, my missus upgraded my ancient, beloved flip phone for a fancy iPhone. I've gotten really good at turning them on and dithering around with them before recharging them. So I'm not just an aging cranky guy with a pipe anymore. I'm an aging, cranky electronic hipster with a pipe. Better than the alternative, they assure me. Hmmm, now that I have these items, there's nothing keeping me from buying myself another pipe.

I'm not surprised at your report. We don't see a lot of new Dunhills purchased these days, because of the pricing you mention. But when I see them, the owners are typically very pleased (just say another forum member last week in NYC who had a new Dunhill windcap, he was quite pleased as well). It's even better when the pipe is a gift from a beloved family member. Savor getting to know that one!