New for U.S. Stanwell shapes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puros_bran

Reaction score
Cruise over to www.smokingpipes.com and check out the. 30 and 140 shaped Stanwells. Pretty cool. They've been available through Dan Pipe but now they are back stateside. :)

Stanwell has an amazing line up of shapes. Its quite possible they have the largest 'shape chart' of any producer. They also have a decent variety of finish. Add those two factors with their price and its a hard combo to beat.

PB,

I only have one Stanwell in my rotation right now and it is one of my favorite shapes and one of the best smokers that I have. It is a 3/4 bent danish egg in a smooth finish. I would really like to find another one like it.

Glad you shared this PB! I went to SmokingPipes.com and looked at the Stanwells. The Shape that I have is the 186. SmokingPipes has some great prices on those pipes and that shape in particular selling for under $100. The 140 shape that you mentioned looks like it would be a great smoker as well.

I enjoy my Stanwell pipes, including my 2005 POY. However, my favorite Stanwell is a #13 Vario with saddle bit. It smokes so good that I bought a second one just like it. It's difficult to beat a Stanwell for the price. Undoubtedly the best machine made pipe available.

I have one stanwell and its a good smoke, they just don't make many shapes that I prefer

i've gone through about 10 stanwells now. i have gifted away at least half. they're just solid smoking, cheap pipes that i can give away with confidence that the smoker will be happy.
only 1 of them has been a "whistler".

i recently acquired a few estate stanwells with the Reg #s on them, which i just found out (i think from this site) that they're made before 1960. beautiful pipes, in grain and smoking ability, drilling.

i was probably too slow to see the new shape (30), they're all gone. :evil:

IHT, Please remember me if you ever get the notion to get rid of those Reg numbers. If you want to sell em I'll buy em, if you want to gift them I will replace em with solid smokers of equal value.

If your Reg number has an S and a crown it was made between mid 60's and early 80's. If it just has a S it is pre-mid sixtys.

puros_bran":ox88kdfw said:
IHT, Please remember me if you ever get the notion to get rid of those Reg numbers. If you want to sell em I'll buy em, if you want to gift them I will replace em with solid smokers of equal value.

If your Reg number has an S and a crown it was made between mid 60's and early 80's. If it just has a S it is pre-mid sixtys.
lol..
thanks for the info.

i only have two with Reg #s now, which i got as estates for under $20 each on ebay... stem had been buffed to where there wasn't an "S" on the bit anymore.

here's one, it's a "royal briar" pot 345
stannyrb345lsq7.jpg

and the other is a "royal prince" shape 12
stannyrp12ltj0.jpg

Gawdddd. That 345 has Stupid grain for a 20 dollar pipe.

That's some nice wood bro. No doubt.

Um I mean those are ok if ya want to smoke garbage. I prefer real pipes though. Matter of fact I can't bear the thought of you having to touch them,much less smoke them.

Send em to
PB
8675309 Jenny Lane
Anytown, Ky

And I'll dispose of them for you. Better hurry I don't offer this service to many. :D

let me jot that down... :cyclops:

that photo isn't the best, it's straight grain all the way around with tight small birdseye on the rim. it's a well smoked estate, still smokes well. only one fill (but i don't care about those, not a "collector", and that's another ball of wax we can all watch grown men bitch about in another topic) at the front bottom...
smokes three nuns very well.
:pipe:

mgebbia, member name on a # of boards, had a large selection of pipes up for auction right before Xmas. i managed to snag 6 pipes, kept 3, two were stannies, the other was an "orlik of old bond street canadian" (the others: two were gifted, the other i got for someone who sucks at ebay sniping, an '83 BBB Xmas pipe).

Speaking of Stanwell, anyone know why they discontinued the Sixtus line? I've got 2 (209, 213) and they are great smokers.

I like that 140. I love the two Stanwells I have, both of which I paid $44.95 for at my local B&M: a Vario 228 (about 2 years ago) and a Golden Danish 32 (1 month ago). Ridiculously good deals.