New from nation’s oldest city

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
I dabbled with a pipe a few years ago, and I switched to cigars when I had trouble with pipe tobacco humidity.

I have reordered a pipe, tobacco, and supplies to save money (cigrs are expensive). I could really use some tips on storing and controlling humidity in the tobacco. I ordered two 2-oz tins. Was planning on putting in a 62% Boveda pack in each tin. Is that a good plan, or do you have a better system? I had a bad taste experience using Boveda packs with cigars.

Glad to be here. Thank you for taking the time to read and respond.

Tony

Welcome to the group. I just put my tobacco straight from the tin into a mason jar. I don't use anything to maintain the humidity, the jar seal works well enough. That was one of the reason I switched from cigars, maintenance and storage is much much easier.

Hi,
I dabbled with a pipe a few years ago, and I switched to cigars when I had trouble with pipe tobacco humidity.

I have reordered a pipe, tobacco, and supplies to save money (cigrs are expensive). I could really use some tips on storing and controlling humidity in the tobacco. I ordered two 2-oz tins. Was planning on putting in a 62% Boveda pack in each tin. Is that a good plan, or do you have a better system? I had a bad taste experience using Boveda packs with cigars.

Tony
Welome. I am new here here, too. I also just store my tobacco in jars and have no problems with it.

Great. Thank you.

What I've found in my short time as a pipe smoker is that even without humidity control, most of your tobaccos will still need a few minutes of even further drying before smoking. Depending on moisture content of the tobacco, leaving a bowl's worth out on the desk for a few minutes prior to smoking usually does the trick. Certainly lower maintenance than faffing around with humidors

What I've found in my short time as a pipe smoker is that even without humidity control, most of your tobaccos will still need a few minutes of even further drying before smoking. Depending on moisture content of the tobacco, leaving a bowl's worth out on the desk for a few minutes prior to smoking usually does the trick. Certainly lower maintenance than faffing around with humidors

Welcome to BoB Tony, the above about drying out pipr tobacco can't be stressed enough. Depending on humidity in your area you may need much more than a few mintues to dry out your tobacco enough. To paraphrase Pipestud, if you think you've dried it out too much, your tobacco is perfectly ready to smoke.

Welcome to BoB Tony, the above about drying out pipr tobacco can't be stressed enough. Depending on humidity in your area you may need much more than a few mintues to dry out your tobacco enough. To paraphrase Pipestud, if you think you've dried it out too much, your tobacco is perfectly ready to smoke.
This is phrased better than what I said. You definitely want the tobacco dry. I smoke mostly blends that come pretty dry already, but if you're smoking a fairly wet blend it can take more than a few minutes to adequately dry.

Some people consider this sacrilegious, but if you're too impatient to let a wet blend dry, 7-8 seconds in the microwave does work. It may not be preferable to air drying, but.. it works!

Hi,

Tony
Hi,

Tony
Wasn’t sure where to post this, but I have some more questions. I tried my first pipe bowl tonight, and it was not a great experience. I started with captain black original. Placed more than a bowlful in a paper bowl to air dry for about 70 minutes in a 40% humidity room. I packed my pipe (medium Mr Brog briar). My pipe has a 9mm charcoal filter. Draw was like soda through a straw. Had to puff hard 2-3 times every 10-15 seconds to try to keep it lit. Had to relight 5-6 times. The bowl never got hot. No tongue bite. Took 30 mins to smoke. Very disappointed in the lack of flavor and satisfaction. I normally smoke medium to strong cigars. I also have Mississippi river and Edward G Robinsons tobacco’s to try. More concerned with my technique than anything. Any suggestions?

Pipe tobacco is generally not as song as cigars. Relights are pretty normal. Make sure you're not over packing the bowl, I usually have it just a little bit harder to draw than an empty bowl, and tamp lightly when needed

Might try some C&D Billy Budd. Has cigar leaf which gives it a fuller taste but still pretty mild. I find it quite enjoyable. Just don't pack it too tight.