New Gear on it's way

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CygnusXII

Reaction score
Well Gang,
Amazon has done messed up! They gave me a Credit Card! WooooHooo! I don't know if I've mentioned it, but my wife recently left me, after 12 years of Marriage. It's one of those things where She states She isn't happy, Blah! Blah! Blah! My Daughter is dumb founded, and can't understand her mother, and neither can I, but I can roll with the flow. I'm old enough were it bothers me tremendously but I can live through it... I think! :roll: Anyways on her way out She followed the playbook, and emptied the bank account, took all the good house stuff, and wiped her hands of responsibility for the pets and everything else. She gets a clean start and I am left holding the bag, so to speak. Luckily our Daughter is fully grown and out on her own. I quit pipe smoking 10 years ago for my Mother (she had cancer and quit cigarettes at the time.) My wife kept me on the bandwagon after my Mother passed away. Hence one of the reasons I never knew about this wonderful forum, until I recently started smoking again.

Anyways, to make a long story longer. One of my dreams has been to make pipes. My best friends (Husband & Wife) owned a Tobacco store in Arlington, Texas, and He was a wood worker (by trade, and still is to this day), and he dabbled in making pipes, as a hobby. I worked for his father for a year or two, in an Antique Furniture Repair and Refinishing shop, so I have woodworking experience, and lathe experience.

Well to get to the point... I have been collecting small gear to start making pipes, but I want to set up a Carving Shop of my own. I know the beginning is going to be rough, but I'll make it work, and I think it will help keep my mind occupied, and my hands busy when I am not working at my real life job. I am an Enterprise Software Support Analyst, for a Migration product at Dell, that allows big Corporations to migrate their users from old PC's to new ones. I deal in Cluster Deployment Scenarios of anywhere to 1 to 1000 machines at a time.

Amazon was kind enough to give me a Credit Card...HAHAHA! :lol!: I have pretty low Debt, as my Trailer is paid off. All I have is my car loan and a small loan I took out to buy a Camper. It's a 1966 Ford Bread Truck that has been converted into a 4 person sleeper, with Kitchen, Porta-potty and Generator.

I've bought all the gear I could think of, and I consulted with my Buddy in Texas, for specific tools I might need. I've got a Bench Drum Sander coming, along With a Bench Belt Sander, Benchtop Drill Press, Metal Lathe 10" x 22", 2" Rotary Sand Rasp, Hand Orbital Sander, Enough Sandpaper in Various grits fro 50 to Polishing grade, Benchtop Band Saw, Extra Blades, Extra Sanding Belts, Extra Sanding Drums and Pads, Accessories for the Lathe, Tenon Cutter coming from PIMO, and Drill Bits, hand wood Rasps and Rifflers, a bench Vice and Accessories for my Dremel, and a flexishaft for it as well, and dyes.

Next out of the box is to acquire some briar block, some bits, and Lucite stock and all the little niggly things to round out my shop. I plan on getting some briar and olive wood to start and have my eye on some big lots on eBay, of multiple block sales.

Any extra stuff you guys think I'll need. Advice and input are appreciated.

Wow, you are all in, congrats on pulling that all together and Welcome as well. I'll look forward to seeing your creations, it sounds like you have the right credentials.

Cygnus XII - are you a Rush fan or some other significance?

Thank You, and YES I am a RUSH Fan BTW. I took the nym about 20 years ago, in the BBS Days. Cygnus X-1 Book II Hemispheres, is one of my most favorite things to listen. I am hoping that they come close enough to my Home State, that I can attend the Clockwork Angels Tour. I forgot to mention in my previous post. I am also getting a micro machine lathe, along with the needed tools. I figure this will help me with making and cutting lucite stems. If anything, I will at least learn how to use new equipment and give myself some new skill sets, in case my Industry goes south, or I can have the skills to maybe develop for some self sustaining personal business. Working for the man, I've leaned, leaves you at the disposal of the man. If I can work for myself, eventually I will Captain my own future.

Congrats on the healthy outlook! It will take some getting used to, but the upside is that now your possibilities are endless. Once some guys stay single long enough, they never want things any other way! 8)

I've been there, man. Just shy of eleven years, left high and dry. No kids, though, so that simplifies things for me. New hobbies are more important now more than ever. It's great that you found something to occupy your time that relates to your life before her. Come to think of it, I've been meaning to try my hand at pipe making myself. I hope to learn from your example, among others. If you haven't seen it already, check out "RUSH $21.12" in the Music Hall forum here for a laugh.

CygnusXII":61270mb0 said:
Thank You, and YES I am a RUSH Fan BTW. I took the nym about 20 years ago, in the BBS Days. Cygnus X-1 Book II Hemispheres, is one of my most favorite things to listen. I am hoping that they come close enough to my Home State, that I can attend the Clockwork Angels Tour. I forgot to mention in my previous post. I am also getting a micro machine lathe, along with the needed tools. I figure this will help me with making and cutting lucite stems. If anything, I will at least learn how to use new equipment and give myself some new skill sets, in case my Industry goes south, or I can have the skills to maybe develop for some self sustaining personal business. Working for the man, I've leaned, leaves you at the disposal of the man. If I can work for myself, eventually I will Captain my own future.
Good deal, looks like we have several Rush fans. I jumped in during the early 70's, they saved me during the disco years...
We caught Snakes & Arrows last time around, Clockwork sure sounds promising, just heard the 2nd song on XM, outstanding.

Keep us posted on the pipe making!

Good men good posts. I am a firm believer that pipes are a man's "comfort food". They help us get through hard times and assist our minds in thinking clearly. Best of luck to you brother for better times ahead.

Wow, Cygnus, that's a tough break. Fortunately I'd wager that you have a much better support group than your ex, since you belong to this illustrious group. I've seen your username on pipemakers forum. Feel free to join in the conversation more often.

I can't wait. You guys are really supportive. Thanks Bunches. I am getting ship after ship replies from Amazon. I'll be happy when everything is here and set up and I'll take photos and show everyone what it looks like before I commence Destroying everything. :cherry:

I am busy soaking up the knowledge at the pipemakers forum. I'll lurk a bit longer, until I have something I cannot resolve without using my own noodle. I hate making folks repeat themselves on Technical explanations, and I always feel I am doing a forum a disservice by not attempting to see if an answer or topic has been posted previously. Rest be assured though, you guys will be hearing from me, pretty soon. :study:

Already jealous of your set up and looking forward to seeing you turn some work out!

To be perfectly honest though; there is a part of me that is scared witless, but every journey start with the first step. I hope I can offer something of quality balanced by a decent Briar cost and labor investment. I remember back in the 80's you could get one heck of a pipe for $50 - $100. I bought my first Peterson 302 back then and it was $75 at Tobacco Lane, now they go for a way higher price, even on eBay. S&R's started at $40 and were a heck of a bargain, back then. I'd like to recapture the small Carvers affordability, over the Boutique Pipes of major prices. We can only wait and see.

Cygnus - I don't normally associate with Trailer Trash. :mrgreen:

But since you're a Brother, a Rush Fan, and you are going to start making pipes, I guess I can make an exception. :lol!:

Seriously, good luck on this new venture. I hope everything works out well for you. 8)

Well some good news and bad news.

Good news: Some gear is rolling in already. A lot of the smaller niggly bits are coming in. Extra sanding belts, saw blades, bit's bobs, sand paper, dyes, The band saw came, and the drill press (both american made) so I can understand them shipping so fast. I have a 5 foot wooden workbench coming, to be delivered in the next couple of weeks, 4 drawer w/ bench dogs and a wood vise.

Bad News: The Lathe & The mini Lathe are on back order. According to the seller the lathe I am looking has a few months to ship, apparently there is a big line waiting to get this model, as it is a feature rich vs price point seller. Similar to the mini lathe. Not to worry though I have a older Sears Metal Lathe coming from my Buddy in Texas, but I need to get a motor for it. Same thing for the Drum Sander and 1" Bench belt Sander, waiting to fill the order. Man that is annoying.

Well Rome wasn't built in a day

Cygnus,
Sorry to hear about your wife, but Congrats on being able to be you.

Dutch may be right. As I am in the boat he described right now, and the water is calm, I row my boat whenever and wherever I want, and I like it.
Oh and did I mention, the water is calm :D

It seems like I am more into my business, and it shows.

So , Go for It ! Enjoy, be creative, and kick out some nice pipes. I too will be watching for them.

Well the tally so far.
Band Saw
Drill Press
Sand paper 8x50 Packs in various grades
Dyes Deep Black, Java Brown, Emerald Green, Dark Mahogany, Evening Blue, Deep Violet, Forrest Green

6 Rotary Rasps... Came in today (the rotary rasps are 1& 7/8th or 50mm, I ordered 6 so I could have extras. I think this took is going to make rough shaping go quickly.)
(depending on the speeds I think I can chuck them in the Drill Press or the Lathe, most likely the drill Press for now, as the Lathe is on Back order.)

The extra belts came for the 1 inch belt sander (the actual belt sander is on back order)
The extra Drums came for the stationary drum sander (sizes from 1" to 2", also on Back order)
The Wood Working Lathe tools came in and my Calipers (Lathes still on Back order) Also waiting on the one from my buddy in Texas to ship.

I picked up a set of Spade Bits and a Bench Grinder from Wally World, so I can start grinding my bowl cutters, this week

All in all, it's slowly starting to gather steam. I'm waiting on a paycheck or two before I order a set of blocks from ebay. I'm ear marking a 15 or 20 block haul, and maybe a few pieces of Olive Wood. I think I am going to go with Vulcanite Stems to start, and try to keep the first batch of pipes as basic as possible, until I get the hang of the gear, and define my personal process.

I appreciate all the encouragement from you guys and your works are awe inspiring, to say the least. Hopefully before too long, I'll be posting my first for all to see.

Looks like you're off to a running start!

As far as stems go, I think starting with vulcanite prefabs is a great idea. However, given the tools you've got, I'd recommend quickly changing to some German ebonite. It shines up great, doesn't smell so awful when you work it, and provides a deeper black that won't oxidize like vulcanite.

I can't wait to see your first pipes!
popc10.gif

Ebonite and Vulcanite are the same thing : "Ebonite is a brand name for very hard rubber first obtained by Charles Goodyear by vulcanizing rubber for prolonged periods. It is about 30% to 40% sulfur. Its name comes from its intended use as an artificial substitute for ebony wood. The material is known generically as hard rubber and has formerly been called "vulcanite",[1] although that name now refers to the mineral vulcanite."
Sounds like you are on your way to fullfilling your dream :p

monbla256":0dt57ch4 said:
Ebonite and Vulcanite are the same thing : "Ebonite is a brand name for very hard rubber first obtained by Charles Goodyear by vulcanizing rubber for prolonged periods. It is about 30% to 40% sulfur. Its name comes from its intended use as an artificial substitute for ebony wood. The material is known generically as hard rubber and has formerly been called "vulcanite",[1] although that name now refers to the mineral vulcanite."
Sounds like you are on your way to fullfilling your dream :p
Bingo! It's useful to delineate though, given the differences. The conversation can sometimes get confusing otherwise. Someone says vulcanite to describe some high end materials then soft rubber, oxidation, and deep tooth indentations come to mind. That's why I call the high end stuff ebonite. Of course, in Europe, they tend to call it ALL ebonite. Y'know, to further complicate the conversation. :p

Weird. I must be showing my age and ignorance. I've only ever seen Ebonite used in Musical Instrument descriptions. Usually it's used for woodwinds, like Clarinets, and the like. I only associate Vulcanite, Lucite, Bone and Ivory with pipe stems, but that just goes to show the education I need to expand my knowledge and terminology and resources. Now you guys must excuse me; I'm working on my 5th Cosmopolitan for the evening, and feeling pretty damned good, and watching some Anime. I ran out of Everclear and ran up to the Package Store and bought me some extra goodies to wile away the hours this evening. ;)