New Gear on it's way

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Here's the update so far.

1inch x 30 belt sander, on its way
The Rockwell Spindle Sander, on it's way
Another Grinder, made by SKIL, dual wheel with lights, on it's way (to be modified)
13 Spade bits of varying sized to be ground, on their way
30 Vulcanite pipe stems of various shapes and sizes, on their way from Samantha on eBay (to get the ball rolling til I get the lathe)
12 BRIAR PIPE WOOD BLOCKS EBAUCHONS MADE IN ITALY FROM TUSCANY EXTRA EXTRA (from Samantha), on their way.

All in all I have just about enough basic stuff to start experimenting until I get the Lathe and really have to learn my new Hobby. Once it all gets here and I get the gear set up I'll post some pictures. I have to call PIMO and order the tenon cutter / stem cutter and a few odds and ends. Hopefully I be able to post some pics soon.

Rock on Gang!

I got dealt a minor setback. I had to switch my phones, and had to buy a new one, since the EX decided to start splitting the bills, and left me hanging, having to buy a new phone and set up service. Now I have to deal with the Insurance Company and get the house, and car & camper changed over to my name. Seems like It's costing me all the money and she ain't paying dang dime. That really pisses me off. She got to walk away into a new clean life, and I get to pay for cleaning up the mess she leaves behind. Of course my new phones cost an arm and a leg, but I had to buy something functional for my job, and needed the wifi access point, to help be redundant for my work from home internet connection. I cannot afford to miss work because my connection is fubar'ed.

CygnusXII":9y1lg1vi said:
Well Gang,
Amazon has done messed up! They gave me a Credit Card! WooooHooo! I don't know if I've mentioned it, but my wife recently left me, after 12 years of Marriage. It's one of those things where She states She isn't happy, Blah! Blah! Blah! My Daughter is dumb founded, and can't understand her mother, and neither can I, but I can roll with the flow. I'm old enough were it bothers me tremendously but I can live through it... I think! :roll: Anyways on her way out She followed the playbook, and emptied the bank account, took all the good house stuff, and wiped her hands of responsibility for the pets and everything else. She gets a clean start and I am left holding the bag, so to speak. Luckily our Daughter is fully grown and out on her own. I quit pipe smoking 10 years ago for my Mother (she had cancer and quit cigarettes at the time.) My wife kept me on the bandwagon after my Mother passed away. Hence one of the reasons I never knew about this wonderful forum, until I recently started smoking again.

Anyways, to make a long story longer. One of my dreams has been to make pipes. My best friends (Husband & Wife) owned a Tobacco store in Arlington, Texas, and He was a wood worker (by trade, and still is to this day), and he dabbled in making pipes, as a hobby. I worked for his father for a year or two, in an Antique Furniture Repair and Refinishing shop, so I have woodworking experience, and lathe experience.

Well to get to the point... I have been collecting small gear to start making pipes, but I want to set up a Carving Shop of my own. I know the beginning is going to be rough, but I'll make it work, and I think it will help keep my mind occupied, and my hands busy when I am not working at my real life job. I am an Enterprise Software Support Analyst, for a Migration product at Dell, that allows big Corporations to migrate their users from old PC's to new ones. I deal in Cluster Deployment Scenarios of anywhere to 1 to 1000 machines at a time.

Amazon was kind enough to give me a Credit Card...HAHAHA! :lol!: I have pretty low Debt, as my Trailer is paid off. All I have is my car loan and a small loan I took out to buy a Camper. It's a 1966 Ford Bread Truck that has been converted into a 4 person sleeper, with Kitchen, Porta-potty and Generator.

I've bought all the gear I could think of, and I consulted with my Buddy in Texas, for specific tools I might need. I've got a Bench Drum Sander coming, along With a Bench Belt Sander, Benchtop Drill Press, Metal Lathe 10" x 22", 2" Rotary Sand Rasp, Hand Orbital Sander, Enough Sandpaper in Various grits fro 50 to Polishing grade, Benchtop Band Saw, Extra Blades, Extra Sanding Belts, Extra Sanding Drums and Pads, Accessories for the Lathe, Tenon Cutter coming from PIMO, and Drill Bits, hand wood Rasps and Rifflers, a bench Vice and Accessories for my Dremel, and a flexishaft for it as well, and dyes.

Next out of the box is to acquire some briar block, some bits, and Lucite stock and all the little niggly things to round out my shop. I plan on getting some briar and olive wood to start and have my eye on some big lots on eBay, of multiple block sales.

Any extra stuff you guys think I'll need. Advice and input are appreciated.

my good man - you are better equiped than i am ... that is for sure...
however, in your list (i am not sure, but) i think that i can't see a polishing wheels and wheels for applying carnauba wax... ???... :)

wishing you best luck with pipemaking and keep us updated :)

tNd - I already have a smaller dual wheel buffer / Polishing Rig, as well as my Dremel, and a 1lb Tripoli Bar, Carnuba, Bees Wax, 1lb Red Jewelers Rouge, 1lb Green and 1Lb of White to handle my Polishing needs.

Just made my Order to PIMO's The Lady that took my order sounds just like my Grandma. :p

Here's the PIMO's Order Tally Roughly $176.05 with shipping.

1-Adjustable Tenon Turning Tool TT3 $69.95
1-Carbide Replacement Cutter for Tenon Turning Tool TTC $7.00
1-Combination Mortise Drill Bit & Shank-End Square CT-1 $36.25
1-Countersink Tool For Countersinking Mortise Hole At Shank End CS1 $18.00
3-Drill Bit (.128" diameter guide hole for Tenon Turning Tool) TD3 $1.95
2-5/16" Diameter Short Drill Bit, Special for Mortise TD4 $3.50
2-11/64" Diameter Drill Bit for Air Hole in Shank TD5 $6.00

The sweet thing about this is that I work from Home. I work for DELL, doing Enterprise Software Support for a Deployment Software Package, for Migrating old PC's to New PC's. I can work in any room of the house, including my workshop room. I work the Midnight shift 3x13 hours shifts, Friday night, Saturday Night & Sunday Night and then I am off for 4 days. I seldom take many calls on my shift; sometimes as little as 4 a month. I know it sounds sweet, but I also can be fired real easy if I miss a call when it come through because my Call Volume is so low. Needless to say I do not miss calls. I have a 12 second window to answer calls. Lets just say I do not miss any calls. i have been on this shift for 18 months now, so I've got the routine down fairly well. I usually watch a lot of movies on Netflix. :D I can be putting that time to good use Carving Pipes while I work. Double Win for the Home Team! Yeah! :cheers: I've been doing the Support work for almost 20 years, and been with DELL for the last 6+ years. I've worked for Microsoft, IBM, Adobe and some other major Firms. My Products change technically but over all support processes and logic chain are all the same, and Customer / Call Control is all part of the overall skill set, as well as documentation.

Over all this works out to my advantage. I'll get paid to tinker, as it were. WOOT! :geek: