New Grill!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Went out to clean up the old 22” Weber a while back…getting ready to do my Father’s Day ribs. Mmmm…mmmmm! So I pop the lid and discovered that all that was holding the old gal together was hope. So I ordered a new one but dropped down a size to 18” since it’s just the two if us here now…most times. Two days later the big A dropped (literally) my new one off in my front porch. It took about 15 minutes to unpack and assemble. Very straightforward. Excellent…new and improved is the situation. Better top and front handles by far. Much better ash removal assembly under the kettle.

Anyway…after seasoning the thing in with the standard oil wipe and burning of a full load of charcoal routine I did the ribs and they were great. Boneless country style marinated in Teriyaki. Did the indirect heat cooking using two coal baskets under the griddle. Works beautifully. Ribs fir four, plenty of room. BUT…as most times in the past I ran out of heat after about 2 hours when I really wanted to do a longer session. I yhink I’ve got that fixed. Ordered a Weber replacement cooking grill that has two hinged sides that I can easily open to add more briquettes. Note pics below…

59A59160-8976-428D-95C2-B492BCDAC02A.jpeg5C168E1A-5895-4377-AED4-0C643D20FF81.jpeg261C7494-9E88-4F74-9FC3-E7FA5F350525.jpeg

Just bought myself the 22 inch model earlier this spring after 10 years of wearing out a CharGrill gas and smoker/sidebox combo. Assembling the Weber was super easy. I reaaly like that grate with the side hinges.

For smoking I am back to a barrel Cajun Cooker with two racks stacked above each other that has a water pan to keep meat moist. Bought a cheapo gas grill for the occasional burgers/dogs and sausage. Really glad to be back to my old setup but did enjoy the barrel smoker/gas combo while it held together.

Reminds me. I need an igniter for the decade old Holland Grill. They do not make them any longer apparently, but the igniter is standard. It's stainless and cast iron. Should last forever.

For my charcoal work. We won a dual fuel Char-Griller grill from the Hickory River Smokehouse. Don't like the gas section on it. The charcoal side works pretty good.

Love my Webber here, though haven't used it lately due to weather etc. it does a great roast chicken using the coal baskets.

Looking at getting a Webber smoker too as my side smoker rusted through a couple of months ago, cheap Chinese crap metal.

Love my Webber here, though haven't used it lately due to weather etc. it does a great roast chicken using the coal baskets.

Looking at getting a Webber smoker too as my side smoker rusted through a couple of months ago, cheap Chinese crap metal.

I got the coal baskets too…I should do up a bird here. I LOVE a whole roast chicken.

Plus: I think I had the Weber I just replaced for about 20 years…sitting on my deck uncovered…in the Oregon rain!!! No Chinese cheap steel there by golly.

I have a Weber Smokey Joe, a Weber 22" kettle grill (bought in 1978 on sale for $35 and it keeps on working), and a Weber Smokey Mountain 22" smoker. (I also have a Yoder Loaded Wichita offset smoker that I dearly love. About 600 pounds of 1/4" steel that maintains the heat all day for long smoking sessions.)

Weber makes great grills and smokers!

Last edited:
I have a Weber Smokey Joe, a Weber 22" kettle grill (bought in 1978 on sale for $35 and it keeps on working), and a Weber Smokey Mountain 22" smoker. (I also have a Yoder Loaded Wichita offset smoker that I dearly love. About 600 pounds of 1/4" steel that maintains the heat all day for long smoking sessions.)

Weber makes great grills and smokers!
I'm thinking of getting this one, Smokey Mountain Cooker 57cm

And BH, they do last indeed, my first Weber, their tiny rectangular picnic grill is still going strong 22 years later and my 17 year old circular grill is going fine too. Both of them left outside in all types of weather.

Just got some bags of official Weber hardwoods, LOL. Pecan, Hickory and of course the beloved Mesquite. Doing some country stype pork ribs tonight so I’ll toss in a few chunks of Mesquite as a test case. I do a typical dual zone session using the two coal baskets…get a nice sear then move to the indirect zone.

Am I nuts? I have both Kamado Joe and Royal Oak lump charcoal plus Kingsford regular briquettes. Sometimes I blend ‘em. I’ve had very good luck with all of them. My wife will buy any kind, but cheap stuff typically burns out before a 2 hr ribs session is done and I’m still wanting to do a few Bratwurst links with no heat left. I hate that.

My Weber 22" took a hard fall during a winter wind storm and got tweaked enough that the lid doesn't fit on anymore. I just downgraded to a Royal Gourmet 30" rectangle model due to cost and it was often hard to fit everything on the kettle to feed everyone. Seems to do the trick, just hope I can squeak 5 years out of it.

My Father challenged my 22 inch Weber ability last weekend with 2 Porterhouses 3 inches thick. Seared them on both sides and moved them off the heat with the bone facing the heat. Took the first one off 45 minutes into it medium rare. Left the second one on for 60 minutes for a medium to medium well.

Best steak I've ever at in my life which leaves me to belive it is proportional to how hungry you get while cooking.

The funny thing is when I smoke meats they don't taste all that good to me when I take them into the house for dinner. The other will be making positive comments but I'm always disappointed BUT the next day everything tastes great. I think breathing the smoke while smoking the meat diminishes my senses of taste and smell.

The funny thing is when I smoke meats they don't taste all that good to me when I take them into the house for dinner. The other will be making positive comments but I'm always disappointed BUT the next day everything tastes great. I think breathing the smoke while smoking the meat diminishes my senses of taste and smell.
Yeah…you are desensitized to the aroma & taste.