New guy in Texas checking in.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beardedbassguy

Reaction score
Howdy from Texas!

I'm a brand new pipe smoker, less than a month in. I absolutely love it. I have become obsessed even :D

A little about me:

I'm 35, husband, brand new father, Jesus lover, bass guitar player, beard grower, Jeep driver, firearm shooter. I love a good steak, make my own chili, enjoy good beers, and whiskey is great to share with friends. I also still play video games.

I currently smoke a couple of aromatic blends out of 2 MM cobs. I am saving for a good briar pipe some day (new baby and the wife not working hampers my ability right now). I have learned the hard way about pie maintenance (I didn't clean one and it soured) and about what type of tobacco I like ( I have several ounces of super sweet aromatics I will probably never smoke after having one bowl of each blend)

I have an old estate no name basket briar a friend gave me that needs restoration. I'm trying to learn about that.

I'm slowly joining online pipe communities, and this is one of the first. Thanks for having me, I really like the vibe I have gotten from lurking here the last few days.

For your reading enjoyment, I have a post I made on the pipe tobacco subreddit on reddit.com Maybe it will give you some more info on my pipe journey.

Ever since I can remember, I have loved the smell of pipe tobacco. I never smoked cigarettes. I would smoke cigars on occasion if friends were as well. But I always said I wanted to smoke a pipe. No one I know smoked pipes though. That all changed recently.

Back in June, I was given an old beat up briar pipe by a friend. We hit his local store (Up In Smoke, Lewisville Tx) where I purchased a pipe tool, a bag of cleaners, and 2oz of a store blend called "Irish Mist". I found this sub a month later. I lurked. I hit the CVS sales almost too late, but was able to score 2 Grabow Savoy's and 4 MM Cobs. ( I eventually split the CVS score evenly with my friend that gave me the pipe)

But I was chicken. I was chicken to smoke alone out of fear of my n00bishness. I played it off like I couldn't do it without help from a more experienced pipe smoker.

So my tobacco and pipes and that lonely 2oz of Irish Mist sat in an old cigar box.

I posted on here several weeks ago about restoring the pipe my friend gave me. I got some good info. But I didn't act. It still sits there needing love.

THEN.

Then my wife and I made plans to go visit my friend again (He's 3 hours away). I get super excited. I know he uses a hard torch. I know from reading here that's bad. I ordered a Zippo pipe lighter, fluid, and extra wicks/flints. I always wanted a Zippo anyway. And it was amazon Prime eligible.

Last Saturday I smoked my first pipe. I posted here about the experience. TL;DR, it was amazing.

Since then, I have researched more about different pipes. I smoked another bowl. Just one though, because of time and weather issues, and I realized I made a mistake.

I didn't dry the pipes after smoking last week. The filters in the Grabow and the Cob I smoked had soured. It wasn't a pleasant bowl. I wanted to give up, but I decided to research it. Easy fixes.

I learned about Everclear to clean the sour, and cleaning your pipes afterwards to prevent the sour. So Tonight, I'm going to my local tobacco store to get more filters. Then to the liquor store for everclear.

I also just ordered my first tinned tobacco. An online retailer has Drew Estate buy 2 get 1 free. Free is good, so I got a tin each of Central Park Stroll, 7th Ave Blonde, and Grand Central. I also snagged a tin of the Sutliff Taste of Autumn, based on the review here on the front page by /u/pylorns and the fact I know my wife will like the smell.

I plan on cleaning my sour pipes, beginning the restoration process of my estate pipe, and smoking my new tobacco this all in the next few days. I also have glass storage jars ready for my tobacco once I open them.

It's been a cool journey since June, but more so in the last 10 days since my first pipe. It's been full of fear, wonder, joy, mistakes, and learning. But I am sold on this. And my wife supports it. And I know who I want to make my first custom pipe in the near future. Not bad for a n00b, I think

Welcome beardedbassguy!

Fellow bass player here.

Quite the intro beardedbassguy!

Rest assured you're in kindred spirits here. We've all been through the agony of many failures and some successes on our pipe journey. It's all a learning curve so don't sweat it.

Plenty of great knowledge here, and you'll be pleased to know there are many Texans as well. So you're in good company, and please join in on the discussions.

Welcome to BoB.

Cheers,

RR

Welcome to the forums! I hope you have a good time here, and a great time with the new pipes & tobacco

"T"

Welcome sir!

I have doubts that you'll need to retort the soured pipe but, just a good through cleaning might be in line. Everclear surely will do the job, wish I could get it but, I'm in a dry county so I use ISO alcohol. I would just dip a Q-Tip in it and clean out the mortise in the shank real well trying not to get any or too much in the bowl (tilting it with the shank downwards helps) and do the same with a pipe cleaner to the draft hole of the shank and stem. It might take quite a few Q-Tips and cleaners before they start look'en clean so be prepared. After ya get all the gunk out make sure you let dry at least 24 hours before smoking it, if not more depending on your humidity there.
Be patient and smoke it slow and enjoy.  ;)
Oh, And if ya have any questions, problems, etc. feel free to contact me. ;)

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

And for those asking, I'm in East Texas. Longview to be exact.

Awesome! I believe you're well on your way to readily enjoying the pipe. I'm pretty new to pipe smoking too. One thing that's great about BoB, lots of experienced pipers and lots of guys like you and me and probably even more somewhere in the middle! Welcome!

beardedbassguy":y6r2o0ai said:
I also still play video games.
Don't we all. The day I can't enjoy a good game is the day I hang up the old hat. ;)

I really enjoyed your story, and if this is the first pipe forum you signed up for you're in for a treat. Solid people all around and a ton of experience, just reading back over old threads you're going to find a ton of information.

Welcome aboard. Take your time on getting that first pipe. I have read a lot of good info on BoB but it all boils down to what you like. My favorites so far are meerschaum because it let's the true flavor of the tobacco come through without flavoring from the pipe. But I'm branching out into more briar too. It's all in the experimentation and enjoying the journey for me.

Welcome to the brotherhood!

A unique group of souls, you won't find better or more generous folks than the BoB crew.

Welcome to this wonderful site!. I am from Houston, TX area. You will find many wonderful friends here, and people that will help any way they can. And always remember, there is never a stupid question. We have all been thee/ done that, and have the sour pipe memories too. :lol!: Enjoy smoking a pipe. It will change your life for the better, for sure.

Welcome along BBG. Glad that you found the briar and now this wonderful forum. There's lots of great folk who are only too happy to help and mentor you through the early stages of your journry and beyond. I have benefitted enormously not only from the guidance, but also from the endless esprit de corps that exists here.

Welcome from Cedar Hill TX. Southern edge of Dallas county.