New Lathe!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaitlyn3837

Reaction score
YAY! I haven't had a lathe before so I finally took the plunge. This is a lathe that one of my friends who also refurbs pipes uses to turn stems and such. I love his work and I figured if it was good enough for him, then it's probably good enough for me! At least for learning.

I haven't had time to set it up yet... I haven't really had time for anything! But that is how December goes in retail. After the new year I will probably be able to get it set up and play around. Let me know if you have any tips!

lathe10.jpg

I started off with the Rikon version of that lathe. It served me well. You will be happy with that choice to learn on. You won't have "catches" so much as "stalls" where you will completely stop the work piece if you get too aggressive with your cut.

Kate, good luck with your new toy. That lathe is all you will ever need to make pipes, stems and tampers. Just go at a slow pace and you will have no issues. Wait until you see what your able to create now.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Very nice! Glad to see your still working on moving forward with working on pipes. One word of advice. Always keep your turning tools as sharp às you can get them. Hope to see some of your work posted on here soon.

KevinM":k88aep9q said:
Nice! Safety glasses!
Like suggested by Kevin, full enclosed safety glasses. Also if your working with certain woods wear a proper face mask, noxious dust can get into your lungs. Also, the most dangerous tool in any kitchen: a dull knife! Same is true with all of the tools you use for carving on your lathe.  Just have fun but be safe:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

kaitlyn3837":rhjq1k1w said:
YAY! I haven't had a lathe before so I finally took the plunge. This is a lathe that one of my friends who also refurbs pipes uses to turn stems and such. I love his work and I figured if it was good enough for him, then it's probably good enough for me! At least for learning.

I haven't had time to set it up yet... I haven't really had time for anything! But that is how December goes in retail. After the new year I will probably be able to get it set up and play around. Let me know if you have any tips!

lathe10.jpg
1/2 Horse Power! Gees! That's better then the old metal lathe I use now to make pipes, it's only 1/3 HP.
I don't know what I'd do with that much power. Good pick little lady.
Have fun and enjoy but, be safe. ;)

Oh! Might be good to start watching some YouTube videos on it too cause you can REALLY hurt ones self if your not sure of what your doing. I bet Scottie can give some real good tips. ;)

Thank you all for the info! I'm glad to be adding to my tool collection and variety of things I will be able to make. I look forward to posting more when I get it up and running!

Nicely done K! I've a feeling this will be the making of you and a lot of pipes! Really excited for you!

Oh, and err, jolly nice wooden floor by the way ?