New leglislation in Blighty and a trip down memory lane

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stick

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I took a wander into town yesterday and decided to pop into the B&M. It's not a bad one, having a small range of loose and tins from Dunhill, Peterson's and few others.

As I entered the shop I was immediately confused by the addition of a partition across the width of the shop preventing you seeing beyond it. The confused look didn't go unnoticed and the girl behind the counter enquired what I was looking for. I was shown through a door in the partition and was greeted by the familiar scene of my last visit; pipes, baccy, cigars, cigarettes etc.

'What's with the screen?'
'Legislation'.

I surveyed the shelves looking for a straight 'ginny to no avail. Instead I left with a tin of Erinmore Flake which my mum tells me Pa used to smoke when he was alive. As he's one of the reasons I started with the Briar I figured it was high time I took a trip down memory lane. I've strong memories of Pa lighting his pipe and being immersed in the wonderful aromas that at the time meant nothing to me other than being very comforting; those aromas meant Pa was nearby. I've read the reviews and need to find out about the pineapple enigma for myself, if indeed it exists at all. Personally I rather hope that I don't find it!

Stick":huytdpv9 said:
Hey folks,

I took a wander into town yesterday and decided to pop into the B&M. It's not a bad one, having a small range of loose and tins from Dunhill, Peterson's and few others.  

As I entered the shop I was immediately confused by the addition of a partition across the width of the shop preventing you seeing beyond it.  The confused look didn't go unnoticed and the girl behind the counter enquired what I was looking for.  I was shown through a door in the partition and was greeted by the familiar scene of my last visit; pipes, baccy, cigars, cigarettes etc.  

'What's with the screen?'
'Legislation'.

I surveyed the shelves looking for a straight 'ginny to no avail.  Instead I left with a tin of Erinmore Flake which my mum tells me Pa used to smoke when he was alive.  As he's one of the reasons I started with the Briar I figured it was high time I took a trip down memory lane. I've strong memories of Pa lighting his pipe and being immersed in the wonderful aromas that at the time meant nothing to me other than being very comforting; those aromas meant Pa was nearby.  I've read the reviews and need to find out about the pineapple enigma for myself, if indeed it exists at all.  Personally I rather hope that I don't find it!
That's the need for bureaucrats to justify their existence. My wife thinks they're nothing but a bunch of dole bludgers. We have the same nonsense here in the US. The feds have taken it into their minuscule brains that the state regulatory agents aren't enough. So now they send their own agents to check my Mom's little store, but of course they come in with the state agents so all they really are is redundant.

Enjoyed the story about your Pa. Sensations that remind us of childhood are usually pleasant. Cheerio! :)

eklektos44":u6irinm1 said:
That's the need for bureaucrats to justify their existence. My wife thinks they're nothing but a bunch of dole bludgers.
Or evil, my personal viewpoint re this mentality. Probably not consciously so, but so what? The effect is the same. Look at the crap the Institute for Justice deals with, for example. Tip of the iceberg.

http://www.ij.org/

Richard Burley":9r0l4an6 said:
eklektos44":9r0l4an6 said:
That's the need for bureaucrats to justify their existence. My wife thinks they're nothing but a bunch of dole bludgers.
Or evil, my personal viewpoint re this mentality. Probably not consciously so, but so what? The effect is the same. Look at the crap the Institute for Justice deals with, for example. Tip of the iceberg.

I don't think one precludes the other.. ;)

eklektos44":tdmku7b5 said:
Richard Burley":tdmku7b5 said:
eklektos44":tdmku7b5 said:

I don't think one precludes the other.. ;)
Touche.

David me owd lad -

I've heard that 'baccy products are hidden from view in non-tobacconist establishments in Blighty (such as supermarkets) but this is the first I've learned that a tobacconist is prohibited from displaying their wares. Yet you were bade welcome to the "forbidden zone" by the proprietor after learning of your quest. A most puzzling development!

Also have heard that tobacconists in our northern neighbouring country cannot display wares, and patrons have to choose from a generic catalogue without the possibility of inspection first. Any truth to this Canuks?

Additionally, have read about possible legislation here that would prohibit the open display of wares and create a face-to-face sale chosen from a plain list devoid of advertising/logos/marquees/etc. So far it's been a non-starter. And so far is the operative phrase in this instance.

:suspect:

Cheers?

RR

My son ran into that on a visit to Canada with an old girl friend. He had to choose his cigars from a binder. No display of any kind. Don't know if that is all shops up there but it's at least one.

Jim

Stick, hope you enjoy your trip down memory lane!

Frightening. At least stupidity is not a dieing art (G)!
We had some thing like that a while back called Prohibition. No drinking alcohol for any one. You had to go up to an unmarked door, knock, then say "Joe sent me" to get into the bar.
It was finally repealed, but not after annoying a lot of people and giving organized crime a good start...