New look for BoB?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like our PMs have gone AWOL too, hopefully only temporarily. I had some messages in there that were important to me, several of which were from old friends who have since passed away.

Angie - could you clarify the situation?

Thank you!
I will see if they can be retrieved.

I have talked with the techs and the old PMs cannot be brought over. We moved the site off a free forum host so the data we could move was limited. It's not this new software or our tech's limitations.

BUT, at some time on Monday the PMs of the old site should be opened to where you can login and pull off old PMs.

............at some time on Monday the PMs of the old site should be opened to where you can login and pull off old PMs.
Will there be a "special" log in to get to the old site?

@RSteve I am not sure. When I get notice that it can be done I'll ask that so you'll have that information going in.

Well, as always there's nothing good about change, I dislike like this immensely and I know I haven't been around much for quite some time but, this change is sure to keep me away. Goodbye all!

I was worried we'd have responses like Ron's ^^^^^^^^^

I do like the new 'clean' look of the board and it'll only be a matter of time before it becomes the 'new norm'. What I will say though, is - and forgive me if I've missed this somewhere - given that such moves are rarely gremlin free and that our PMs and signatures (and perhaps other elements that we've not yet identified) could be lost, it might have been worth giving members a heads up before the migration to the new software. That way members could have protected what was important to them. For the reasons I've posted earlier, I for one will be grumpy if I've lost my PMs, signature and bombing mission badges.

I do hope we see Ron return...

As changes go, this one has been the most painless I have seen for a forum move. We are mostly there. And the new folks are trying. They also ran into some limitations on what they could move. Maximum allowed data thing.

Our founder, Jason. Has been doing everything he can to keep this community together since we had to make the move from the Knoxville Cigar store forum. His participation, like many of us, he comes and goes. But the BoB Forum remains. Even when we have offered to help fund the board, he has always declined that assistance. He needed to make a change to ensure that the lights did not simply go out one day. And so, here we are.

Angie says that maybe, some access may be coming up to get into our PM's. I may miss that window, as I may be traveling. It's really nothing that I cannot recreate if I have to. I do wish Ron would have made his dislike known. Colors? Size? It is still being tweaked, and Angie is best positioned to help with that. Depending upon what specifications Jason may have given them.

Good morning. The PM access should be available at some point on Monday. I think it will be later in the day. Then you'd be able to save the old ones that are special. I know the feeling of having your special PMs go poof. So we are trying to make sure you can save them.

About the badges, I have someone working on getting those back. There is a possibility.

The signatures, I'm not sure about them. But you can recreate them by going to: https://www.brothersofbriar.com/account/signature

I must hasten to add a big thank you to all our mods and our newest member Angie for their efforts in squaring this away. For the most part I'd imagine the role of the moderator is a thankless task but vital to keeping things running smoothly. Thank you team (y)

We migrated this forum off the previous host which was a free forum host. Private message data was not data we had or can get access to. That is the risk of free forum hosts unfortunately. The risk is even greater that if they go out of business, poof, then the entire forum is gone. Moving forward this forum is independent and has no risk of going offline or losing data like PM's.

We migrated this forum off the previous host which was a free forum host. Private message data was not data we had or can get access to. That is the risk of free forum hosts unfortunately. The risk is even greater that if they go out of business, poof, then the entire forum is gone. Moving forward this forum is independent and has no risk of going offline or losing data like PM's.
So, to confirm Angie, our old PMs are unrecoverable?

What's everyone's thoughts on the birthday listings that we had on the previous host? A change like this can be good for a 'spring clean' and fresh start but there may be elements that we absolutely want to keep (if possible).

Yes!

[Avoids temptation to put a political spin on this move.]
We're back on the left, Padre.

[No political leanings were expressed in the making of this post, nor were any small animals killed].

So, to confirm Angie, our old PMs are unrecoverable?

I'm sorry you've missed the other posts where I said we cannot bring them over, but the guys that you don't see feel they can have access to them for you tomorrow at some point. You'll need to save to your computer or print them out to keep them. They cannot be brought over to this forum.

Ok, Angie, thanks. Is there any actions we need to take to save them?

I am not sure about how to save them. I know that doing a screen shot and save to your computer is possible. I'll see if the tech guys have any idea when they tell me they are available.
You may be able to do a highlight the content as a copy and then paste into an email to yourself, or a word/google type document.

I am not sure about how to save them. I know that doing a screen shot and save to your computer is possible. I'll see if the tech guys have any idea when they tell me they are available.
You may be able to do a highlight the content as a copy and then paste into an email to yourself, or a word/google type document.
I know what to do once I've got access to them, it's the getting access that I'm not clear on Angie :) (y)

I think it will be a regular login. I do have to verify that.

I think it will be a regular login. I do have to verify that.
...login where, Angie? This site is where I go to login to the BoB. Will it be a different web address, and if so, please could it be provided for us?

Many thanks for your ongoing support (y) :)