New Mac Baren? Anybody?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sasquatch

Reaction score
Mac Baren has released another HH product? HH Acadian Perique? I want details! I can't believe Mac Baren would release a product without consulting me!!!

:cheers:

Maybe it's just me - but I started Macbarens Golden Extra years ago (called something different now) - then I tried the Vanilla Creme Flake and it took a round out of my tongue - I let it dry a bit and it got worse. Sounds like we have a MacBaren's expert (hi Sasquatch) above so should get a recommendation on something tastey but mild.

Woody, I had some pretty serious issues with my first tin of Mixture. It bit me and I hated it.

At some point, I guess I realized (or maybe got told) that this wasn't Captain Black, and that I could smoke it as hard as I liked, and it would never be a) heavy b) strong c) anything like what I was used to. Once I got that into my head, and went back to the tobacco and tried to appreciate it for what it did offer, instead of trying to force it to give me something else, it was a revelation. This sweet, light, honey and toast flavor, mixed with tobacco flavors of all kinds... my God... a delight. But as soon as you get greedy and start to suck on it hard, it just hammers you.

I am a Mac Baren fan. I think they offer some very nice tobaccos, at incredibly reasonable prices. Do I like all their stuff? No. I don't much like Vanilla Cream either, nor Plumcake.

Their Navy Flake is VERY easy to smoke... maybe the friendliest flake going. Burley and honey. Bit strong on nicotene for me.

Mixture is good. If you can master Mixture, then the world of Mac Baren opens up, because most of their stuff tastes a little like Mixture anyhow.

Dark Twist is a SUBLIME smoke. Molasses sweetness on a serious citrus virginia. Unbelievable taste. But it will bite, as all virginias can.

I'd say grab a can of Mixture (or is it still called Scottish Mixture?), dry it out just a bit, loosely fill a clean, unghosted pipe, and sip at it, and see if it talks to you.

:D

Dark Twist and Plumcake are the only ones I can smoke, I try to like Navy Flake, but find the 'honey' to be too sweet and 'artificial tasting' to me. Most of the others I've tried just bite me too much.

thanks for the recommends Sasquatch. I will try a few of those Mac blends.