New Mac Baren Dark Fired Kentucky

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last I checked my usual online vendors, they were out of it, but I do intend to try it. The description does sound good to me.

Blackhorse":sijuhck2 said:
I just noticed, during my Sunday night look around, the other vendors were starting to show this one as in. P&C is one and their price is WAY below IR. Just an FYI.
Wow that's great news, as I am almost finished with the tin I got from IR. This stuff has made its way into my Top 10 list and with that said, I need to stockpile the stuff SOON so that I don't run out for a loooong time. I just really enjoy the flavors that I am getting, probably due to the steam pressing. Such a wonderful "smoked" meat flavor and the perfect amount of Vitamin N for me. It's not complex, but it is consistent, just what I crave when I am in the mood for a no-nonsense smoke. Lovin it!

-Scott

Blackhorse":08j68l3u said:
Oredered a tin from P&C - order went through no problem. Got confirmation that all was OK. Then got notice that they were OOS. Up to their standard tricks it would seem.
I can't even find it on their website. :evil:

I poked around and I can't find it at any of my usual haunts.

ETA - I'm an idiot - was looking for Dark Fired Kentucky, not Old Dark Fired. I found it...still OOS though.

Not good:

Per Georg Jensen - Mac Baren Tobacco Company":lv2811mq said:
Re: HH Old Dark Fired Europe

The HH Old Dark Fired was introduced at the Chicagoland Pipe Show in beginning of May. So far it has been very well recieved by many pipe smokers, in fact so many that we are not able to deliver at the moment. The HH Old Dark Fired will at the earliest be available in 2013 but at this time I can not say when and in which countries.
Link

The Lemming Syndrome yet again :lol!:

Not smirking at you. Just noticing the psychology involved. Once a tobac achieves Flavor-of-the-Week status (and it seemingly can inside half an hour), people vacuum up every last available shred of it, creating the inevitable shortage. And roundly confusing the manufacturer, which doesn't know whether to switch over to a full-time production run to satisfy (temporary, and shortage-fueled) demand, or whether people will get tired of it as quickly as they got enthused over it, leaving him with a five-year supply of it costing him money to sit on.

The internut can (and does) really queer up the supply/demand model :twisted:

:face:

Yak":qd5tb1ig said:
The internut can (and does) really queer up the supply/demand model :twisted:

:face:
I beg your pardon. :lol:

On the other hand, am I the only one that just sits back, shrugs, and waits for the crowds to die down before I go grab a tin of something new? Apparently Sextant was the same way, everyone climbing over each other to get a tin, then, in a month, supplies returned to normal.

I swear, between ammo, coffee and now tobacco, patience is really a requirement than an option... :lol:

It's a good point about confusing the bacca manufacturers, but I'm pretty sure they're used to the glut of consumption early on in the introduction of a new mix, and take all of that into account. If they didn't, they'd probably have gone under already. It's almost best to keep production low, not to offset demand, but just to keep the investment reasonable until people REALLY cry out and almost riot. I mean, the Soviets did it with food back in the day, so it has to work, right? :lol:

While, I tend to let the fervor die down before I go for most things, books, movies, restaurants, etc - I wholeheartedly admit to succumbing to the Lemming Effect when it comes to tobacco. I had wanted to try Sextant when I first read about it, but I had no interest in this particularly blend until I started reading all the good press, then when I found out it was difficult to get a hold of, it became a mission. For that matter, I happily smoked Margate and hadn't even thought of trying Penzance until it became scarce. Same for FVF - I smoked Squadron Leader and Navy Flake, but never thought about picking up a tin of FVF until it was unobtainable.

Not being one who feels they have to be "with it" on the latest flavor of the month, I too as Kyle, sit back and let all the ferver die down and THEN and ONLY if it appeals to me, might try and get some of the newest "IN" 'bac! And if it's got Burley in it, it will NOT go in any of my pipes !! :p

Dammit, not the news I wanted to hear this evening. In my case, I don't suffer from not having tried it yet and wanting to jump on the bandwagon. I actually was fortunate enough to have bought a tin off Iwan Ries a month or to ago and loved it so much that I was going to buy a dozen tins when it was released to the masses. Wow, I am really going to have to stretch out the 5 or 6 bowls remaining in my tin. Not trying to stir up any more hype, but this stuff is really unique, to the point that I have never smoked anything quite like it. Wow....all I can say is wow.....

-Scott