New Mandolin day!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just came from Dusty Strings in Seattle, the premier acoustic instrument dealer. Picked up a very nice used Eastman mando for $450 + case. It has a 1 3/16" nut which is a little wider than my student model Dean which has a 1 1/8" nut. I find it a bit easier to play and it sounds great! I've been wanting to upgrade for some time now and this was the right time and place.

I played several other wider neck Eastmans, both F style around 1K. There was no real difference in the sound or volume, and although I prefer an F style I went with the used A style since all I'd be paying for is the aesthetics. And for $500 more it didn't seem worth it to me.

I also played one Weber with a 1 3/16" nut and that was OK but just didn't speak to me. Also played the Red Valley Bouzouki I've been interested in, but frankly it was a bear to play. Sounded nice though, but won't be picking one of those up anytime soon.

So now I have a great sounding and playing mando and will be selling the Dean on Craigslist, as Dusty Strings didn't want it on trade. So if you know anyone who wants a nice student model mando for $200, send them my way.

Sorry, no pics!  

Cheers,

RR

You know who Chris Thile is, I imagine. Did you know his dad is a pipe maker as well as the founder of Pipedia?

Congrats on the acquisition, Rande! A good mando that just feels right in your hands is harder to find than most people think.

I went a very different direction a few years ago when I picked up an Epiphone Mandobird VIII - the mini-Firebird shaped 8-string electric mandolin. Great for stage work as you don't have to worry about feedback, though the cheap single-coil pickup is prone to hum. I had been planning on upgrading the PU, but then I left the band and only play the thing occasionally now.

WHAT?!?! Chris Thile is somewhat involved with PIPES?!?!?! This is the best day ever!!!

Yup. Here's his site:

http://www.sethilepipes.com/

Scott is also a musician. He played upright bass for the three monster-talented kids that became Nickel Creek.

Betcha heard a them, too. :lol:

One of my absolute favorite Progressive Bluegrass bands!
Thanks for the link LL!
Zach

Found an image of the Eastman 505. This is the shape and finish of mine-

md505-2-f.jpg

Cheers,

RR

LL":xs4akemo said:
You know who Chris Thile is, I imagine.  Did you know his dad is a pipe maker as well as the founder of Pipedia?  
No way! Small but amazing world at times!

Here's Chris playing some Bach...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/j3lH_Tevw5o" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

MisterE":nwtcv7kg said:
LL":nwtcv7kg said:
You know who Chris Thile is, I imagine.  Did you know his dad is a pipe maker as well as the founder of Pipedia?  
No way! Small but amazing world at times!

Here's Chris playing some Bach...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/j3lH_Tevw5o" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>
That's very impressive Eric. Thanks for posting!

8)

Cheers,

RR

Great score Rande! I trust we'll be hearing this one on one of your next albums?!

MisterE":xjghadyi said:
R, hope to hear a clip of you playing your new mandolin one of these days. :cheers:
It's coming E. But so is Christmas.......

Stick":xjghadyi said:
Great score Rande! I trust we'll be hearing this one on one of your next albums?!
That's a real life ripe dead certainty mate, as a wise sage once put it!

:rabbit:

Cheers,

RR

Rande, beautiful Mandolin, looking forward too also hearing you play. I own a Scott Thile sandblasted Lovat. Superb craftsmanship from a magnificent pipe maker/carver. He stands behind his work, I highly recommend him. His wife also helped with the order back in 2011. Nice family for sure.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Beautiful mano! Mine's a Gibson A Jr., c. 1924...
Really a great mandolin, mint condition for a 1924. A year before my Dad was born.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!