New Member from Northern NJ

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motie2

Reaction score
I am a 75 year old retired clergyperson, living in Northern NJ. Married with two adult children. I smoked a pipe from 1964 until 1984. I began with aromatics and moved on to Balkans and VaPer blends. When I began smoking a pipe again in 2016, I had kept only three pipes from my first pipe life, but quickly discovered the world of estate pipes on eBay and added eleven more. BTW, all but one are E.A. Carey's. ( I know; I'm weird. ) Anyway, I again began with aromatics, but quickly moved on to Balkans, but not VaPers.

There's a new world of pipe smoking online that didn't exist back in the day. I found P&C, Smokingpipes, and then many other online resources. My favorite tobaccos have been Barbados Plantation, Russ's White Knight, Magnum Opus, and the sorely missed Lane VBC. Just recently, I've discovered Boswell's tobacco blends, and am presently enamored with Boswell's Best, Rum River, and Piper's Pleasure.

Welcome to the forum. I did the same in 2016. Sold all but 3 of my collection at the time. Wish I had kept them. Started smoking again in 2019. Now back up to around 60 or so.

Welcome to the forum. I did the same in 2016. Sold all but 3 of my collection at the time. Wish I had kept them. Started smoking again in 2019. Now back up to around 60 or so.
SWMBO will keep me from acquiring more pipes. ;-) Thanks for the welcome!!

I am a 75 year old retired clergyperson, living in Northern NJ. Married with two adult children. I smoked a pipe from 1964 until 1984. I began with aromatics and moved on to Balkans and VaPer blends. When I began smoking a pipe again in 2016, I had kept only three pipes from my first pipe life, but quickly discovered the world of estate pipes on eBay and added eleven more. BTW, all but one are E.A. Carey's. ( I know; I'm weird. ) Anyway, I again began with aromatics, but quickly moved on to Balkans, but not VaPers.

There's a new world of pipe smoking online that didn't exist back in the day. I found P&C, Smokingpipes, and then many other online resources. My favorite tobaccos have been Barbados Plantation, Russ's White Knight, Magnum Opus, and the sorely missed Lane VBC. Just recently, I've discovered Boswell's tobacco blends, and am presently enamored with Boswell's Best, Rum River, and Piper's Pleasure.
Welcome Morty. I to am from north Jersey. Mtn. Lakes, Boonton, Dover, Randolph, Bud lake and Stanhope to name a few. Lol. I'm 64 and am now in an assisted living facility in Fla. I had a pipe store on E Bay until I had to have back surgery and both my hips replaced about 10-12 years ago. It was called Pipedreams. I was one of the first few that started buying big lots of pipes at auctions and refurbishing, cleaning, sanitizing and then selling them on E Bay. There may have been 25-30 full time sellers and I bet there are a couple of hundred going at it now. Anyway I had many pipes re stemmed from Boswells. I'm glad people are noticing his store and beautiful pipes. They are Gorgas and and on top of that he mixes up some great tobacco. I know you said you switched from aromatics but please do yourself a favor and try the cupcake and Christmas Cookie. Have a great day.
Jim

Welcome Morty. I to am from north Jersey. Mtn. Lakes, Boonton, Dover, Randolph, Bud lake and Stanhope to name a few. Lol. I'm 64 and am now in an assisted living facility in Fla. I had a pipe store on E Bay until I had to have back surgery and both my hips replaced about 10-12 years ago. It was called Pipedreams. I was one of the first few that started buying big lots of pipes at auctions and refurbishing, cleaning, sanitizing and then selling them on E Bay. There may have been 25-30 full time sellers and I bet there are a couple of hundred going at it now. Anyway I had many pipes re stemmed from Boswells. I'm glad people are noticing his store and beautiful pipes. They are Gorgas and and on top of that he mixes up some great tobacco. I know you said you switched from aromatics but please do yourself a favor and try the cupcake and Christmas Cookie. Have a great day.
Jim
Motie. But thank you for writing. I began pipe smoking my first week in seminary, in 1964. Now I qualify as codger, age-wise. After going through OTC blends, and the very few available tins of "exotic" stuff, like Mac Baren's, Dunhill, and Balkan Sobranie, I encountered a cigar store on Sinclair(?) in Cleveland: Cousin's. They had aan aromatic mixture that came in a large "paint can" with a sliding opener. It is/was, to this day, the best thing I ever smoked. Long gone now. I stopped in to another Cousin's location a couple of years back, but they had so many aromatic blends, and no one in the shop was old enough to remember the blend I was after. I was just passing through, so I wasn't in a position to keep trying 'em. Ah, memories. But now I have Boswell's to go through, having just discovered them. Again, thanks for writing. I wish you well being.

Welcome! I was born and raised in northern New Jersey. Now spending my retired days in Missouri. How I got to Missouri is
a long story, but it's not about me, it's about you. Enjoy smoking your pipes and join right in on the forum. This is a great place.