New member from...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slave2theaxe

Reaction score
well...all over...

I was born in Virginia, grew up in Pennsylvania, lived until recently in Arizona, currently residing at Osan AB, South Korea, and soon to be back on the east coast in Jersey.

I've been a cigar smoker for several years, but recently had an experience that made me want to explore this side of my love for the leaf.

I was walking downtown the other day and I passed an older gentleman smoking a pipe. As soon as I smelled the aroma of the smoke, I was immediately brought back to my childhood and memories of my grandfather who regularly smoked a pipe back in the day. Funny how smells can bring back such strong memories.

Anyway...ever since then, I've been thinking about those old memories of my grandfather, working on some carpentry project, puffing away on a pipe, and remembering how much I loved that smell.

So, as a nod to the old man, I decided I would delve into pipes. With the bit of research I've done so far on my own, I see that I have a lot to learn...man I thought cigars had a learning curve...lol

I look forward to hanging out with you fine gentlemen and learning everything I can about this new world that I'm sure will give my wife something new to roll her eyes at me about...hahaha

Cheers!

-Nic

Welcome to the brotherhood. You will find a great deal of knowledge here and a group of folks unlike any you have met. Brotherhood exists here.

Welcome.

Thanks everybody. I'm just lurking and reading right now, but I look forward to picking your brains a bit once I get a good base of knowledge to work with...lol

Welcome, Nic. Glad to have you. Don't worry about asking questions, someone will have a good answer for you. I was a newb (and in a lot of ways still am), but these have been a great group of brothers who will take their time to help you out.

slave2theaxe":etb5t88l said:
 As soon as I smelled the aroma of the smoke, I was immediately brought back to my childhood and memories of my grandfather who regularly smoked a pipe back in the day.  Funny how smells can bring back such strong memories.
I know where you're comin' from, as I chose to take up the pipe for the same reason.

It all seems so complicated at first, with all the possibilties for choice of pipes and tobaccos, along with techniques for loading the pipe, smoking cadence, etc., but it seems to all come together as a living and learning experience that constantly evolves to the point that you never really finish learning something new! Good thing too, or we'd probably have nothing left to talk about by now.

Welcome aboard Nic, and hope you get states side soon.

Thanks again for the warm welcome. I'm a member of a similarly named cigar forum...it's nice to see the brotherhood I've found over there extends to this side of our love for the leaf as well.

Adding my welcome to all the others from this fine group.

Ed Duncan, Batavia, NY
pipe/cigar since '62