New member in Cherokee Nation, OK

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy all from the beautiful Cherokee Nation in the Ozark Foothills of NE Oklahoma!

First off, everyone laughs at my name.  That's okay, I laugh too.  "Womancatcher" is my matrilineal name.  I live in a very rural and beautiful area of the CherokeeNation, but I am a member of the Choctaw Nation of OK.

I'm 56 years old, and in pretty rotten health - Non Alcoholic Liver Cirhhosis.  I'm being worked-up for a transplant in 3-4 years.  So, I can't work anymore and I live on disability.  Still, I have a great life, a great wife of almost 38 years, and the greatest "best friend" on the planet.  I love to work in my garden, fish, hunt a little, and tinker.  Before I took ill, I earned a master's degree and had some great  jobs.  The best was my long apprenticeship with a fellow recently named Top Gunsmith in America!  So, I worked as a 'smith for a long time in a high-volume, big city, shop.  I sure miss the work - a lot of fun!!

The doctors won't allow me any vices including pipe smoking. They pounce if I am even 1lb. overweight.  They won't let me eat anything fit to eat.  I love beer, vino, tobacco - all of it.  All prohibited.  But, I do smoke a pipe and enjoy the hell out of it.  Just not inclined to give it up. I smoked cigarettes and cigars for about 25 years.  Then I had open- heart sugery and oddly, I never wanted a cigarette or cigar again. So pipe smoking is my only remaining vice.  Hey, gotta have at least one, huh?

All my pipes are estate restorations.  My best smoker is an old GBD.  I have a small, Burberry bent pipe that is a good one too.  Altogether, I guess I have about 7-or 8 pipes, but I smoke the GBD, Burberry and an old Petersen almost exclusively.  I really want a new pipe, and I am looking at a particular Petersens pipe that I really like.  Maybe I'll find the coin somewhere to buy it.I would really like to get 'hold of a little benchtop lathe and make my own pipes.  Gunsmithing skills transfer pretty nicely to pipemaking I think.  I hope to learn more about pipemaking from other members of BoB!  If your are into this sort of thing, holler at me and let's talk.

There is no outlet for decent pipes or tobacco any closer to me than Tulsa, OK. Happily there is an excellent tobacconist there (Ted's Pipe Shoppe at Utica Square) and I buy all my tobacco from them.  They have around 40 blends and I like all I have tried. Excellent stuff!  Mark and Karen, the folks who run the store are really nice people.  Try 'em out if you are in Tulsa.  With this said, there is a tobacco co. in Argentina called Sentimiento Nacional and they offer a blend called "Choctaw".  I'm very interested in it and 2-3 other blends they have.  Anyone tried this stuff???

Well, I'll leave you with a "thanks for having me" and best wishes to all!

PAUL

Hello Paul and welcome to BoB.

Very interesting bio sir. We have a number of members here who make their own pipes, and some who blend their own tobacco. I'm sure one or more will be along shortly to say hello.

:cheers:

Welcome to BoB Paul. Sounds like you've had more than your fair share of health issues. Take good care of yourself and stick around for many years. A pipe every now and then is probably pretty low on the Richter scale with respect to risks, or so I've been given to understand.

Cheers,

RR

Welcome to the Brotherhood Womanchaser!! I mean catcher. Womancatcher.

Sorry......

Smirk..

Welcome, anyway!!

Welcome, Paul! Best of luck with the health problems. As for the doctors' reaction to the pipe, listen to their opinions and then make your own choice (I just did the same this morning at my annual physical -- I came back and had a relaxing bowl afterwards)

"T"

Welcome, Paul. I lived in Bartlesville for many years. I am very familiar with the area. Next time I come through there, I will have to stop by your tobacconist. Glad to have you here. DrT has it right.

DrT999":6czkj0pi said:
 As for the doctors' reaction to the pipe, listen to their opinions and then make your own choice.
"T"
I did the same after my last physical. I found that my blood pressure had been the lowest it has been in years. I credit the relaxation and purposefulness of pipe smoking for it. :) Welcome to BoB.

JP