New member: owingswd

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owingswd

Reaction score
Howdy!

Irregular pipe smoker, recently retired Judge in a small town in Alabama. Enjoying my pipes and now setting about reading about a thousand books I’ve been setting aside for years, meaning to read. Still getting used to waking up in the morning with no place to go!

A couple of weeks ago, my wife and I made a trip to Chicago to see my 2 year old granddaughter, and while there, I finally made the pilgrimage to Iwan Ries, reputedly the oldest tobacco shop in the U.S. (In case you’ve ever wondered, like I have, that’s pronounced “Eeevan Reees”. The gentleman was German.) Bought a spiffy new pipe and some tobacco, and enjoyed the afternoon mightily.

Just finished a book: How to Read Water (can’t figure out italics on this newfangled system, yet) by Tristan Gooley. Fascinating book, actually about watching water, from puddles all the way to oceans, and everything in between. Highly recommended, if you’re interested in such things.

All the best—
Bill

Welcome aboard, Bill, and congratulations on your recent retirement. I hope you stick around and get to meet some of the fellas (and ladies) around here. It's a good bunch of eggs with a wealth of knowledge and generous spirit.

Best,

Loren (aka Briar Beagle)

Welcome to our little corner of the Internet, Bill. I'm glad you found us.

Congratulations on your retirement; I would love to have lie in once in a while!

Best wishes,

Stick

Many thanks on the greetings. A hearty welcome in a new place warms like a winter fire.

Bill

Welcome to BoB. Congratulations on your retirement, can't wait for that day myself. Lots of great folks here with tons of info.

Welcome, Bill. I have wanted to visit Iwan Ries, that must have been a great experience.

Welcome to the forum sir!

I've got a copy of that book here somewhere... Have you read "Salt, A World History"? Fascinating work.....

So, what blends of tobacco hold your interest?

I second Ozzie’s vote, Salt is an awesome book, I just re-read it for the third time. Absolutely absorbing. Makes me want to track down Mark Kurlansky’s other books on Cod and the Basque people.

Cheers

Tim

Welcome!  I like to sit on the dock and watch the water. It's very soothing, except for the occasional interruption of a catfish jumping out of the water! That book is now on my list also!