• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Brothers of Briar and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

New Member Reading: What's with the 30/30 thing?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
I'm not asked the question in the title to this thread every day...it just seems like it. That being the case, and since I've gotten well practiced at explaining MY rationale behind enforcing it...I'll do it again and then 'put a sticky' on it.

1) If you've been directed to read this by a moderator you're likely in violation of the 30/30 guideline which requires new members to wait 30 days following their becomming a member...and...attain a post count in non-trading post areas of 30 posts...prior to buying, selling or trading at the Trading Post. Simple.

2) One stated reason this was instituted was to help minimize fraud (such a dirty word) and ensure safe usage by members. So there's that.

3) Of course this leads all the honest guys (99.9%) to think...'well, they don't have to worry about ME!'...and then they start asking why they can't be granted an exception. Well, sure, they have that long and strong history of selling on eBay, for the last 5 years, with a whopping 51% satisfaction rating! So I look them up and they've sold like three items during that time. Here we go again. My point in this is to show that what WE think is a great history and what YOU think are likely different. Then it boils down to being a matter of opinion. Odds are then pretty high that the new member us going to end up angry. Not good at all.

4) To avoid potential problems like the above I've come to view this whole thing with the 30/30 rule a bit differently. Here it is. Use of the Trading Post is a 'privilage for established members'. "Established" is defined as the 30/30 thing. This disallows guys from signing up just to snag a really nice estate pipe for a great price...hawk their 1/3 full tin of some drecky blend...or sell that cherished Graybow their ex-significant other gifted them last St. Somethingorother's Day.

5) So the question that's really being answered by the 30/30 rule is whether you're a participating member...or a guy looking for a quick score. Hint: the correct answer is the first of the two.

6) Also ask yourself the following. Do I look like a good member by arguing, complaining and generally making others' lives unpleasant? Or is taking a decision you should have known was coming with good grace and a cheerfull attutude more appropriate. Surprise! This time the second of the two choices is the correct one.

7) As always, I understand that you're 'special' and that your unique situation will likely allow you bypass the process that all the other members have had no problem following. So I'm pleased to answer any questions you might have. Simply submit your questions in writing, along with your check or money order, made out to yours truely, and be sure to include a stamped self addressed env...

WHAT! You mean I can't do that here? FINE! Just PM me then.

But...but...IAMSPECIAL!! (mommy said so). Dont wanna wait stupid 30 days. want what i want when i want it and the way i want it and..and..I wanna pony and a puppy and a....
;)

Please assume the proper rage position if you're going to have a fit.

(Face down on the floor, arms and legs spread then engaged in rapid jerking and flailing motions.)

There...that's better. 8)