New No-Smoking Rules in Colorado Springs, CO

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Argyraspide

Reaction score
From the Colorado Springs Gazette, July 24th, 2013:

"The City Council voted 6-2 to ban smoking in all city parks, including trails and open space areas.

The ban is meant to protect city properties from fire danger, decrease litter - especially from cigarette butts - and reduce "detrimental" secondhand smoke, said Karen Palus, parks director.

The Parks Department, working with the city attorney, reviewed a list of approaches for limiting smoking in public parks - Arvada bans smoking in all parks, and smoking is banned along Pearl Street in Boulder, for example.

Ultimately, they decided on a general ban with some exceptions for areas that don't pose a fire danger, such as parking lots, which would be designated by the parks director.

Violators can be fined up to $500 and spend 90 days in jail, though Palus sees the ban as an opportunity to alert the public to the effects of secondhand smoke."

I've been cussing up a blue storm for several weeks now over this.  I love to hike the hundreds of beautiful mountain trails around here, and I often take along a pipe for a good smoke at certain beloved scenic rest points along the way.  

You can bet I'll be voting against the busybody SOBs who voted for this!!:evil: