New Pease Flavor

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DrumsAndBeer":zov9im9q said:
Kirk, the Haddo's I smoke has to be fairly well aged for me to enjoy it. Otherwise I have somewhat of the same reaction to it.

Someone here mentioned that it reminds them of over ripe bananas. I don't think that's too far from the mark.

I tried to smoke a tin with 3 months on it, and it was reminiscent of having a drunkard with a belly-full of brandy and beer belch in your face.

And yes, fresh Haddo's and aged Haddo's look nothing alike, as the mixture darkens tremendously over time. It also mellows out ten-fold. To my taste, aged HD is amazing. Fresh not so much.
:sunny: I reckon you could be onto something there DB, the sample did seem to be a very different tobacco, it sort of reminded me of a strange derivative of Marzipan, not really but there did seem to be hints of almond going on. That new tin was hideous, I guess at the end of the day some of Greg's blends are to be left alone if you're of the ilk of buying your tobacco to smoke now. I do find it a little frustrating that Greg doesn't take the time to age some of his blends at all before they hit the stores, those which are suited best to ageing that is, oh well, I'm just griping really, dose of 'want what I can't have', old as time itself that state of being. :bounce: 

Brewdude":jtoh0tzs said:
Fresh Haddo's is completely OTT.

It needs a few years to come into it's prime. 3-5 yrs minimum. 10 yrs is magic!
:sunny: Wow, the very idea of being able to cellar tobacco for 10 yrs is absolutely mind boggling to me, must be a great feeling having such astounding cellars. :cheers: 

I doubt Greg was any to blame for any breakdown in product, Kirk, it isn't as if he packages the stuff himself, he just puts 'em together and lets C&D seal 'em up.   Had it been me and my money, I would have been on the phone with the outlet  I purchased the tobacco and made a stink.  

None of that "never-never" talk, Kirkie, because you might have an opportunity to get a little bit of this or that kind of tobacco.  No grudges, mate.  Lifes to effing short.   :heart:

Sorry the Haddos didn't work out.  Only "bad" tobacco I came across was in the deep recesses of Tinder Box I found a tin of McClelland and an old tin of Sam Gawith that had turned green and gone to a weird, spongy powder.   Kind of a testament why one shouldn't keep pipe tobacco in a cigar humidor.  :lol: Tried convincing a few of the young chaps working there it was the ultimate green snus/snuff...but none of them took my word for it. Shucks. :tongue:

Kyle Weiss":upoger03 said:
I doubt Greg was any to blame for any breakdown in product, Kirk, it isn't as if he packages the stuff himself, he just puts 'em together and lets C&D seal 'em up.   Had it been me and my money, I would have been on the phone with the outlet  I purchased the tobacco and made a stink.  

None of that "never-never" talk, Kirkie, because you might have an opportunity to get a little bit of this or that kind of tobacco.  No grudges, mate.  Lifes to effing short.   :heart:

Sorry the Haddos didn't work out.  Only "bad" tobacco I came across was in the deep recesses of Tinder Box I found a tin of McClelland and an old tin of Sam Gawith that had turned green and gone to a weird, spongy powder.   Kind of a testament why one shouldn't keep pipe tobacco in a cigar humidor.  :lol:  Tried convincing a few of the young chaps working there it was the ultimate green snus/snuff...but none of them took my word for it.    Shucks.   :tongue:
I didn't hold Greg responsible, not really Kyle, needed someone to direct my frustration at at the time and, well, you know how it is when you realise ya got a bum deal. I can't say as I have closed the door on Greg's blends, there are a fair few I have tried and consider to be some of the better tobaccos I have had the opportunity to try. They're 3 times as expensive over here Kyle so really they are a very expensive risk when trying a new one and as for contacting the vendor, they wont do a damn thing here Kyle, if you open it you keep it no matter what, we don't have so many real rights here any more, the customer means nothing to business in the UK these days, try contacting a vendor here about a tin you've opened and you get a standard "you've opened the tin so there's nothing we can do about it", bizarre huh!

I have always been under the impression that all of Pease's blends require some age before they can be fully enjoyed. I know this is an all encompassing comment, and that isn't truely accurate, but I believe there to be some truth to it.

Northern Neil":qdgmut0n said:
I have always been under the impression that all of Pease's blends require some age before they can be fully enjoyed. I know this is an all encompassing comment, and that isn't truely accurate, but I believe there to be some truth to it.
That's one of the things that I dislike about his blends. I like to buy my 'bac and when I get it, smoke it, not 'wait" for it to be ready to smoke. He needs to sit on his blends till they are ready to smoke and THEN put them up for sale !! JMHO :twisted: 

Sure. :twisted: 

And have to charge four times more because his operating capital's tied in stock that's not generating income.

:face: 
RESISTING THE IMPULSE TO USE THE CLOWN ICON

Yak":iqiatdht said:

And have to charge four times more because his operating capital's tied in stock that's not generating income.

Then make blends that DON'T need to be sat on but are ready to smoke NOW. It aint rocket science . JMHO :twisted: 

monbla256":hjq6tihu said:
Then make blends that DON'T need to be sat on but are ready to smoke NOW. It aint rocket science . JMHO :twisted: 
I can see that, but I also think the "all these need to be aged" thing is part of the mystique. Now, I've never smoked any old Pease stuff, so I can't vouch for it, but a lot of the folks here seem to think there's truth behind the marketing.

Yak":81v4fshw said:

So I should tie up MY money for years before I smoke his blends ?

No. Most of Greg's blends are superb right out of the box from the etailer that sent it to you. Or right off the shelf at a well stocked local B&M. There is no denying that certain blends benefit from aging. But aging isn't a requirement for a Pease blend. (except for maybe Haddos.) ;) 

Carlos":6fzoyugo said:
No.  Most of Greg's blends are superb right out of the box from the etailer that sent it to you.  Or right off the shelf at a well stocked local B&M.  There is no denying that certain blends benefit from aging.  But aging isn't a requirement for a Pease blend.  (except for maybe Haddos.)  ;)   
Yuppers.

Cheers,

RR

Fr_Tom":pzx2wcys said:
Great...   I am working on a fresh tin of Haddo's. So I am not really getting the true potential?
There were some 10 year old samples flying around here about 8 months ago. I was lucky enough to get one. I also got a sample from 2000 from a most gracious brother back in May. Superb. For me it needs age, but if you enjoy it fresh Fr_Tom, the more power to you.:D

Carlos":iytysy4x said:
No.  Most of Greg's blends are superb right out of the box from the etailer that sent it to you.  Or right off the shelf at a well stocked local B&M.  There is no denying that certain blends benefit from aging.  But aging isn't a requirement for a Pease blend.  (except for maybe Haddos.)  ;)   
Agreed.

I tried repeatedly to enjoy fresh Haddos and never succeeded; the tin note was heavenly but the taste was. . .Aged it is a profoundly good smoke.

Brewdude":rx8w7rmp said:
Carlos":rx8w7rmp said:
Yuppers.

Cheers,

RR
Add me to the list that likes his blends fresh. Even Haddo's Delight.

Not to say I won't like the aged stuff even more

Fr_Tom":x3nwvn6r said:
Great...   I am working on a fresh tin of Haddo's. So I am not really getting the true potential?
If you like it the way it is you arent missing anything, who knows you may not like it after it has aged, throw half of it in a jar and let it sit and you can be the judge.

FWIW, C&D Strathspey sounds a lot like Haddos, It is a Scottish blend and when you open the tin you start looking around the room for rotting orange peels, but after a few months opened it starts to mellow out

I must say that Fillmore, Jack Knife Plug, Triple Play and CUMBERLAND are blends of Greg's I have tried fresh out of a new tin and enjoyed them all very very much, I've read that JKP & Triple Play are vastly improved with age but I cannot speak to that myself but they are marvellous fresh.

I have never tried Haddos, but I bought into the hype and have over 10 lbs sitting in the cellar at around 10 months of age so far. I hope it is as good as everyone says, once aged. When should I try my first tin - 2 years at least?