New Pease Flavor

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carlos":g38gmni4 said:
No.  Most of Greg's blends are superb right out of the box from the etailer that sent it to you.  Or right off the shelf at a well stocked local B&M.  There is no denying that certain blends benefit from aging.  But aging isn't a requirement for a Pease blend.  (except for maybe Haddos.)  ;)   
Thus spake Carlos. :cheers:

Greg knows what he's doing. The crowd he attracts likes a pronounced product, even if it's a bold whisper (Embarcadero), a rolling thunder (Navigator), or a real screamer (assumption on Haddo's or Triple Play). None of 'em are mumblers, repeater or stutterers, in my book.

Age, if you ask me, is a sideways move in a lot of tobaccos, encouraging or developing what one fella might like more, mellowing what another guy might like less...

...but all of GLP's stuff is ready as-is to a greater or lesser degree. Even just the one month to a year they've been waiting to be bought is often just fine. Big changes in them tins.

8)

Aged Haddo's is really a different animal. I had the pleasure of smoking some from the first year (or so) of production a couple of years ago. It was different enough from the current iteration to make me think it was another blend altogether. Perhaps one or more of the original component tobaccos have been rotated out making a slightly different blend after a decade. Perhaps the transformation with age is especially dramatic. My guess is it's a little of both, but +1 on the aged Haddo's.

alfredo_buscatti":jq88aqv0 said:
Never met aged pipe tobacco or an aged cigar I didn't love.
Ya, this.

peckinpahhombre":jq88aqv0 said:
I have never tried Haddos, but I bought into the hype and have over 10 lbs sitting in the cellar at around 10 months of age so far. I hope it is as good as everyone says, once aged. When should I try my first tin - 2 years at least?
Good gravy man, you laid in 10 lbs of this without even trying it first??

shocked.gif

Howzabout doing this-

Jar up 8 oz and try it fresh, then at 1 yr, 2 yrs, etc. You'll get a good handle on when it's ready for your tastes.

tongue.gif

Cheers,

RR

I got some Smoker's Pride that has to have at least three years on it at this point, Alfie and Rande, ya both are welcome to it. :lol:

8)

Same dude, 4noggins.com_Mike is alfredo_buscatti, responding to Kyle's kind offer of aged Smokers Pride (just to be clear)

Being a mostly organic product save for the inclusion of chicken feathers (20%), Smokers Pride makes great lawn fertilizer. The feathers in fact are also beneficial as they give the soil loft.:)

Some of us have, at times, approached buying tobacco in the same spirit as the guy with no helmet or knee/elbow pads riding his motorcycle way too fast. It's not that the possibility of a negative outcome isn't there so much as there's faith that it's not going to happen to him.

Optimism can see you through some surprising situations.

:face:

Not much of a risk really. Tobacco ain't getting any cheaper and enough folks love Haddos aged that, even if I don't like it, it shouldn't be too hard to trade away.

The aging of fine pipe blends is obviously the inverse of a property of many BoB posts...the longer they are around the less they approximate the original intent of the maker, their flavor in general becoming less and less interesting.

:arrow: (going around and around)

:lol:

monbla256":vf7qftd6 said:
Yak":vf7qftd6 said:
Sure. :twisted: 

And have to charge four times more because his operating capital's tied in stock that's not generating income.

:face: 
RESISTING THE IMPULSE TO USE THE CLOWN ICON
Then make blends that DON'T need to be sat on but are ready to smoke NOW. It aint rocket science . JMHO :twisted: 
OK, what kind of blends would those be? Aromatics? Honest question.

I must say that the few that i have tried and the one I smoke daily of greg's I smoke fresh and love it. I did lay some down and hope to lay down more; and I also just opened a 2008 tin of Abingdon that is sooooooth and so very different. I also have a 2009 saved.

allrighty, it's in stores. Just ordered 6 tins of Gaslight. An English blend in plug form? You bet I'm interested.

Bluefisher":0p17b94t said:
allrighty, it's in stores. Just ordered 6 tins of Gaslight. An English blend in plug form? You bet I'm interested.
Nice.

I grabbed one tin to give it a try.

Over the years I've smoke many of Greg's blends, ALL were EXCELENT and I still pick up a tin of Abington now and then. His Union Square is an EXCELLENT straight VA though my personal preference is for what McC does with Va's ( gotta have that "ketchup" in the blend ya know :twisted: ). All this being said why can't he give us the make-up tobacco variety wise of his new blend with more than a brief mention of Latakia : This :
"Open up a tin of G.L. Pease's "Gaslight" and you'll find a surprising amount of empty space, the content's mass concentrated into dark, dense plugs; rich, compactly pressed bricks of exotic fragrance and flavor, with only subtle tones of lighter, warmer colors of leaf hinted at here and there. Suffice to say that with its images of deep, cool and misty nights lit only by the faint glow of soft gas-lamp flames, master blender Pease picked a very appropriate name for this Latakia smoking mixture, easily one of his most unique and evocative creations yet."  tells me SQUAT !! WHAT am I going to be smoking? Sounds like ad copy from the era BEFORE the "truth in advertising" laws went into effect ! Just my personal opinion :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":j2kcae5y said:
Over the years I've smoke many of Greg's blends, ALL were EXCELENT and I still pick up a tin of Abington now and then. His Union Square is an EXCELLENT straight VA though my personal preference is for what McC does with Va's ( gotta have that "ketchup" in the blend ya know :twisted: ). All this being said why can't he give us the make-up tobacco variety wise of his new blend with more than a brief mention of Latakia : This :
"Open up a tin of G.L. Pease's "Gaslight" and you'll find a surprising amount of empty space, the content's mass concentrated into dark, dense plugs; rich, compactly pressed bricks of exotic fragrance and flavor, with only subtle tones of lighter, warmer colors of leaf hinted at here and there. Suffice to say that with its images of deep, cool and misty nights lit only by the faint glow of soft gas-lamp flames, master blender Pease picked a very appropriate name for this Latakia smoking mixture, easily one of his most unique and evocative creations yet."  tells me SQUAT !! WHAT am I going to be smoking? Sounds like ad copy from the era BEFORE the "truth in advertising" laws went into effect ! Just my personal opinion :twisted: :twisted:
Allow me to translate that for you..

Open the 2oz tin and you get two 1x1x2 inch bars of firmly pressed tobacco. Contains Latakia, Red Virginia and choice Orientals. Put it in your pipe and smoke it. :lol: 

No no no no no! We do not want to get that started. If blenders had to list everything and what percentage of the daily requirements etc etc, the pricing would go up. And there's no room on the label.

Much better off not really knowing. Leave it to the Master. Mention was made of Latakia for those with an aversion. For those of us that will partake, we can use our imagination. Let the burning leaf evoke memories and bring forth the best of the blend.

I am really looking forward to this one. Not that I have been disappointed with any of Greg's releases. But he seems to have come up with a process by which he adds the element of "funkiness" to a blend. It gets better with every release. In addition, one of my all-time favorite blends which is no longer available, was Tavern Tobacco's Marrakesh Cafe. Really an oriental Gawith flake. The Master has come really close to reproducing that experience. The more he plays with plugs, the better.

DrumsAndBeer":ug5vm3ml said:
monbla256":ug5vm3ml said:
Allow me to translate that for you..

Open the 2oz tin and you get two 1x1x2 inch bars of firmly pressed tobacco. Contains Latakia, Red Virginia and choice Orientals. Put it in your pipe and smoke it. :lol: 
Please direct me to where you found this list of 'bacs in print? Did you call Greg and ask him personally? If so why could he NOT put them in the description of the blend? He's done it with others. :twisted: 

monbla256":uglvq8xc said:
Please direct me to where you found this list of 'bacs in print? Did you call Greg and ask him personally? If so why could he NOT put them in the description of the blend? He's done it with others. :twisted: 
Okay, Okay....I'll admit it, I got it from the in-stock notification received from Smokingpipes.com. :p

5 years of age on a blend with significant VAs does nothing but improve it, IMHO. I think Blackhorse was speaking of 10+ years of age. Though I've not smoked any tobacco with this vintage, I think I would be all-in in my opinion of it. OK, so if we're talking 20+ years, yes, the blend would be substantially different.

I have a tin of A&C Petersen Escudo, 10 y/o, that I originally bought from JR probably in 2002. I sold it and was gifted it back in return. I think that it's going to be quite heavenly when I pop the top. But I'm waiting for the proper celebratory event, and I see nothing on the horizon to justify it. Were that tin 20 y/o I can hardly imagine the coins being anything other than vastly improved, based on smokes of 7 y/o. Cumberland on the other hand might not fare as well, the KY being the wildcard. But I can tell you that at 7 y/o it is heavenly.

I never met an aged tobacco that I didn't like, be it pipe tobacco or cigar.

Any of you who have those pesky 20 y/o tins laying around and wanting to dispose of those age-funnied-up tobaccos, please feel free to send them to me. I suppose I could fit them into my rotation. pm for my address.