New Peterson Ordered.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveMKentucky

Reaction score
I've always had an attraction to the Dunhill dress pipes but just can't bring myself to pay the prices they demand. I found that Peterson offers an alternative dress pipe (black ebony) with a military (spigot) bit, so just bit the bullet tonight and ordered. Now the decision about which of my favorite tobaccos to which I'll dedicate the pipe:

r04a3l.jpg

Steve, that’s a awesome looking pipe. I’ve been wanting a military bit myself for awhile. I’ve had 2 Peterson’s pipes and have no complaints with them at all.

eggman":ef9r3rxz said:
Steve, that’s a awesome looking pipe. I’ve been wanting a military bit myself for awhile. I’ve had 2 Peterson’s pipes and have no complaints with them at all.
I own a few Peterson's as well. I must admit that I prefer my Dunhill and Ashton pipes, the Peterson's have been good pipes. With the exception of the P-bit pipes I have found Peterson's to smoke well. We'll see with this one.

SteveMKentucky":m3av8ex6 said:
eggman":m3av8ex6 said:
I own a few Peterson's as well.  I must admit that I prefer my Dunhill and Ashton pipes, the Peterson's have been good pipes.  With the exception of the P-bit pipes I have found Peterson's to smoke well.  We'll see with this one.
I too am not a P-lip fan. But with any pipe you can get some that are good smokers and some that are duds. I have a couple Dunhills one is a excellent smoker and the other one is not.

I had a p-lip and I hated it. I really tried to like it. I traded it to a past member here and he loved it. Last I heard from him he was still smoking it and liked it. I guess to each his own.

Valdus":2s473wgn said:
I just got a Peterson as many of you know, no doubt I’ll get a second. If I can avoid the p-Lip.
Unless I'm mistaken most Peterson's are available with the fishtail bit.  I used to buy my Peterson's from John Crouch Tobacconist in Old Town Alexandria.  If they had a pipe that I liked that had a p-lip, they would order a fishtail for me.

BTW, my tracking notice indicates that my new pipe will be in today!

The new pipe arrived today!

I must say I'm very pleased with it...particularly for the price. Fit and finish are quite good and the pipe is surprisingly light like an old Dunhill. I'm smoking it now on my front porch and it draws quite well too. I think this pipe will very likely be in the top ranking of my collection.

The markings on the spigot silver are very nice and include makers marks on the bottom like fine English silver:

334kjtk.jpg

2ihmfe0.jpg

33p6ekn.jpg

2j5u69.jpg

Very sharp looking. I love Petersons, I've read quite a few bad reviews about the smoking and finish quality but I have never seen it. I have mostly Petersons and they all smoke fantastic

I have the same pipe and the Silver Fishtail Spigot is one of my all time favorite pipes. I have been seriously considering buying another one lately.

Well, I finally decided to dedicate this pipe to Margate. Until now I haven't had a pipe dedicated to it so that fills the void...and I think it perfectly appropriate to the pipe!

I think Peterson pipes are one helluva great production pipe. I have many, and about a year ago had a stunning revelation regarding the P-lip. I had avoided all Pete's with this bit for years until, wanting a Tankard pipe in the worst, most inexplainable way, finally bit the bullet and tried one; I found I actually loved the P-Lip! This opened up the door to the Sherlock Holmes series of pipes, of which I have 5, and a new way of giving my tongue a rest(!) on those days when I abused it from smoking too much or too vigorously. The key to cleaning them is by using the Dill pipe cleaners available from Pipes and Tobaccos. They're skinny enough to enter the hole and make smoking and the cleaning up afterwards easy. Cast your fears aside and try the P-Lip Peterson's, you'll be able to add more models to your collection!

In June 2019 I had one Pete. Today, I have four! Last year's Christmas 999 is my favorite. I just can't put it down. The more I smoke it, the better I like it. I've retired my old Pete Dunmore to the display case for now. The Dublin D6 nosewarmer is great for a short smoke, and the newest Christmas 2020 XL11 is still being broken in. Who knows, by the end of the year I just might have another one!:D